PDA

View Full Version : air compressor

mittman
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
well just got home and noticed my truck tire was low so i fired up the air compressor and it ran for about 5sec and it stoped but was humming so i think the motor is toast. i think we are going to get a new one since ours is 16years old got ALOT of use out of it so my next question is craftsmen air commpressor a good buy and i think all the new ones are oil less should we go with that our would one with oil be better its not going to be running all the time but it will be used atleast 3 times a week and running for about 1-2 hrs let me no if u have one and if u have had any problems with them thanks

LT250_JOE
04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a Porter Cable 7 hp 60 gallon(Lowes) that is an oil bath/ single piston. 10 years no problems.

My buddy has a Craftsman screw compressor 8hp 60 gallon oil-less 10 years old no problems. very loud compared to mine.

If I had to buy another one I'd go Craftsman. It is way more expensive than the one I bought and 5 times louder. The reason I think they are better is mine operates between 90psi and 125psi @ 7cfm---my buddies craftsman operates from 120psi to 180psi @9cfm. If you use a high load air tool the craftsman doesnt even break a sweat. Mine runs its *** off. I sand blasted my suzuki frame and the thing ran non stop.

pro-rider46
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
we have a itsy bittsy craftsman, i think its a 25 or 30 gallon tank, and 3 hp, no problems so far, its about 5 yrs old, and its oil less, its pretty loud, but i really dont care because it doesnt make much more noise than the tool im using.

WhiteYFZ
04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
i have a craftsman , this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916762000P?keyword=33+gallon

prob smaller then what your looking for, but its a good buy and its very quiet for a compressor.

espo

wilkin250r
04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
What brand is your old compressor?

I obviously can't tell you what is wrong with your old compressor, or how much it would cost to fix. But honestly, you should REALLY consider just fixing your old compressor, rather than buying a new one.

I've been around a lot of manufacturing, tools, and equipment. I tell you, that old stuff was quality-built. Corporations weren't quite as focused on saving every penny, they really cared about putting out decent products. This seemed to be true with almost anything, lawn mowers, welders, power tools, compressors, TVs, ect. My father's old Sony television lasted 13 years. His new one didn't last 5.

Something to consider.

mittman
04-17-2008, 07:52 AM
its a craftsman also i found out that its is older than 16yrs my pap bought it new like 25years ago and when my dad was building our house he never took it back to my pap so this thing is pretty old but it doesent look that old. when i get home tonight i will look to see if the motor is toast or what.

LT250_JOE
04-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Never thought of repair. Tear it apart, see what it needs, get model no/serial no of unit and go to sears .com. I ordered a pull cord for my dads 1984 craftsman chainsaw a couple months ago, so they still carry old parts.

mittman
04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
well just got done tearing it apart and the motor is froze tried wd-40 and pb blaster nothing so since im going to altoona i'll just stop at sears and see if they can get me another motor hopefuly its not too much

bulkdriverlp
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
by the time you buy a new motor and put it on you may as well buy a whole new compressor. imo. i have a crapman 15gal 150psi upright model. works real good, oil-less. its up to you, but isnt your time worth anything? it was about 300.00 brand new.

mittman
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
well went to sears and said could take up to 3 weeks to get one in. i was digging in my paps garage attic and i found a motor that will work all i have to do is drill new holes so i got one for free hopfuly this motor runs lol