PDA

View Full Version : valve noise from over rev?

txredxj
04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
i got a moose cdi box and after running it i have a very loud rocker noise. do i just need to adjust them and go or upgrade valve train? i put on a jardine slip-on, cdi box, k&n filter and stage 1 moose jet kit.

txredxj
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
is this question so retarded that no one can answer it? i know that on other engines that you can get by with stock valves for a bit but then they loosen up and float a valve. could this happen or do i need to upgrade later?

REPOMAN
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
is it rocker noise or valve clatter?
your valves are going to make noise no matter what you do. is it running any different than normal? your mods are not to much so i doubt it has anything to do with that. check your valve clearences and see what that shows.

txredxj
04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
i havent had a chance to tear into it and check my valves partly due to me not haveing a .004 feeler gauge. this is my first 4 stroke quad so i am in the dark on most things on that side, but i am into cars and trucks and such so i kinda go off that. but i do know that it is alot louder then it was before i put all that stuff on last weekend. i drove it around to get a feel for it and then rode it a couple hours after i put on the parts.

REPOMAN
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
what size feeler do you have? even if it is a larger gauge you will be able to tell if they are way off or not. just pull your gas tank and open the valve "lids" and check them out. that is going to e the best thing to start with

txredxj
04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
i adjusted them last night and they were way off. a full turn on the adjuster. i found some 4,5,6 thousandths gauges. quieted the top end down alot and the rockers seem to be fine. took less than a hour to do, not as bad as i thought it would be.

REPOMAN
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
good to hear it turned out well. i always thought it would be a pain to do the adjusting on them also until i did it. pain in the butt is the yfz450 valves.

txredxj
04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
i'll just have to put some time on it and see what happens. never had to do valves on my quadracer 2 stroke :p .