PDA

View Full Version : Fan Circuit Issues

smithn1683
04-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Ok so I have been having issues with the fan, It will not run when the Engine Coolant Temperature ECT is grounded. I traced all connections and there are no open circuits. The coolant tempertaure indicator will not light when the engine starts. This will happen when the key switch is not plugged in, I tested the conections on the key switch and believe them to be faulty. I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram to this post but I think the wire color designations are incorrect. On the 450 there is a Green wire, a red wire and two black wires one with a white tracer.
The wiring diagram though shows a green wire paired with a black wire with white tracer and a Red wire paired with a red wire with white a tracer. I think this red wire with white tracer in fact should be a solid black wire. I removed the key switch and shorted the Red wire with the black wire to trick the 450 into thinking the key switch is plugged in. The 450 will start but still do not get the light to come on for a few seconds or get the fan to run.

lghickman21
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
if you have a friend with the same model bike you could switch cdi boxes. the fan circuit runs through there and i have seen them go bad. also try and make sure your fan motor isn't burned out.

04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
If you remove the key you must splice the red and black wires together to make the fan, lights and carb heater work.

smithn1683
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
So the FSM is wrong in saying that they wire for that circuit is a Red Wire with a white tracer.

smithn1683
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
came down to a bad key switch. I now have the correct wires shorted out. How ever as a side note the wiring diagram in the FSM is incorrect in its color designations.

400exrider707
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Nate, email a link of this to Honda haha