PDA

View Full Version : oversize oil cooler?

cory
04-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Installed an oversize cooler with an oversize oil tank (Pingry) and still have some heat issues. Do any of you guys have experience with using bigger oil coolers, fans, etc? Will swapping to synthetic help?

It's a 440, jetted correctly (as per A/R ratio). The motor hasn't grenaded yet, but I don't think it will be long. Thanks.....

chayes627
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
i dont really have heating issues yet cause i havent over bored yet. when i switched to synthetic 20w50 i noticed it ran a good bit cooler. also the synthetic oil wont break down as much from the high heat that your getting

NacsMXer
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Are you running a colder heat range plug? How does the plug look? If jetting is spot-on you could have other issues.

I run a much bigger oil cooler with the stock tank with 12.5:1 compression and I don't have issues with heat at all.

Synthetic does help to some degree, I run it and recommend it. It won't make a HUGE difference, but it will help out some. I run Shell Rotella T full syn 5w40...it's great oil and keeps your motor clean. Can be found at Walmart for 13 bucks a gallon which is a pretty good value for a high quality full syn.

cory
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
What brand and model bigger oil cooler do you run?

Wheelie
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I run the stock cooler w/ a Spal Fan. Works great and I have less than $75 into it, including the wiring and toggle switch.

REPOMAN
04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
i run an oversized tank and a spal fan and dont have any issues here in the desert. i have a 440 higher comp piston blah blah blah. talk to 08400ex he gave a couple of us awesome deals on fans as he is a dealer for spal.
ps: how do you know you are running to hot?

Brauap
04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I dont mean t hijack your thread, I just have a quick question.. Will running an oversized oil tank, CBR1000 oil cooler, fan, and air scoops make then engine run too cold, can it run too cold? Will that set up be too much? (416)

UNBROKEN
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
^ no it will make it run alot cooler but not to cold and the mud u ride in the oil cooler will be caked anyway lol

NacsMXer
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cory
What brand and model bigger oil cooler do you run?

Desert Toyz supercooler, about 3x bigger than stock. Not sure if they make it anymore I bought it a while back.

From what I hear the SPAL fans sound like they make a difference for the price.