PDA

View Full Version : for school

Honda99_300ex
11-25-2002, 11:29 AM
i am writing an essay for school about whether atv's should be street legal or not.........it would be cool if anyone would post ALL of there thoughts on this subject....good or bad......i really need the help.......thanks a lot

Racing Rice
11-25-2002, 11:38 AM
I personally think they should be as long as they meet the BMVs requirements. They have motorcycles (trikes) with 3 wheels that are street legal, why not quads?

JConner
11-25-2002, 11:41 AM
There are street leagal ATV's. I personaly have never seen any but have read about them and seen little kits for sale on the internet. They have to have stuff like turn signals, DOT approved tires, ect. Good luck with your report.

EvilJester400EX
11-25-2002, 11:44 AM
IMO, it's cool to have street legal quads and all, but at the same time, there could be little kids that think since they have a quad they can ride it on the highway... just somethin to think about

Racing Rice
11-25-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by JConner
There are street leagal ATV's. I personaly have never seen any but have read about them and seen little kits for sale on the internet. They have to have stuff like turn signals, DOT approved tires, ect. Good luck with your report.

Some states allow it, others dont.:(

Racing Rice
11-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
IMO, it's cool to have street legal quads and all, but at the same time, there could be little kids that think since they have a quad they can ride it on the highway... just somethin to think about

They have street legal dirtbikes.. That doesnt make sense.. :huh :D

EvilJester400EX
11-25-2002, 11:49 AM
haha, yeah, i just thought of that... whoops

Honda99_300ex
11-25-2002, 11:54 AM
also maybe some good/bad points.....thanks for all the help

joeroadking
11-25-2002, 12:08 PM
you would need to instal d.o.t. legal tires lights,turn signals,and have it inspected by your local dmv would be cool for around town, but not realistic for highway speeds!

Racing Rice
11-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
you would need to instal d.o.t. legal tires lights,turn signals,and have it inspected by your local dmv would be cool for around town, but not realistic for highway speeds!

I dont know.. I think with the right gearing big quads like the raptor would shine.. couple that with some good TT suspension.. You could have a really fun street quad. :D

Ive been wanting to build one to go back and forth to work on. So I have put a lot of thought into this for some reason. I just dont think its legal in Ohio.:rolleyes:

Racing Rice
11-26-2002, 07:27 AM
I sent an email to the Ohio BMV yesterday to see what they had to say. Here is the reply:

This is in response to your email to the registrar.

All snowmobile and all purpose vehicles must meet certain equipment regulations:
a. A vehicle must have at least one headlight that is bright enough to reveal persons and objects 100 feet away during hours of darkness;
b. A vehicle must have at least one red taillight that can be seen from a distance of 500 feet during hours of darkness;
c. A vehicle must have brakes capable of stopping the vehicle within 40 feet at a speed of 20 miles per hour while carrying a 175 pound driver;
d. A vehicle must have a muffler system capable of eliminating excessive smoke fumes and limiting engine noise.

Ohio Revised Code 4519.40 states:
§ 4519.40 Prohibitions.
Text of Statute
The applicable provisions of Chapters 4511. and 4549. of the Revised Code shall be applied to the operation of snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, and all-purpose vehicles, except that no snowmobile, off-highway motorcycle, or all-purpose vehicle shall be operated as follows:

(A) On any limited access highway or freeway or the right-of-way thereof, except for emergency travel only during such time and in such manner as the director of public safety shall designate;

(B) On any private property, or in any nursery or planting area, without the permission of the owner or other person having the right to possession of the property;

(C) On any land or waters controlled by the state, except at those locations where a sign has been posted permitting such operation;

(D) On the tracks or right-of-way of any operating railroad;

(E) While transporting any firearm, bow, or other implement for hunting, that is not unloaded and securely encased;

(F) For the purpose of chasing, pursuing, capturing, or killing any animal or wildfowl;

(G) During the time from sunset to sunrise, unless displaying lighted lights as required by section 4519.20 of the Revised Code.

§ 4519.41 Operation on or near highway, street or road.
Text of Statute

Snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, and all-purpose vehicles may be operated as follows:

(A) To make a crossing of a highway, other than a highway as designated in division (A) of section 4519.40 of the Revised Code, whenever the crossing can be made in safety and will not interfere with the movement of vehicular traffic approaching from any direction on the highway, and provided that the operator yields the right-of-way to any approaching traffic that presents an immediate hazard;

(B) On highways in the county or township road systems whenever the local authority having jurisdiction over such highways so permits;
(C) Off and alongside a street or highway for limited distances from the point of unloading from a conveyance to the point at which the snowmobile, off-highway motorcycle, or all-purpose vehicle is intended and authorized to be operated;

(D) On the berm or shoulder of a highway, other than a highway as designated in division (A) of section 4519.40 of the Revised Code, when the terrain permits such operation to be undertaken safely and without the necessity of entering any traffic lane;

(E) On the berm or shoulder of a county or township road, while traveling from one area of operation of the snowmobile, off-highway motorcycle, or all-purpose vehicle to another such area.

Take into consideration that this is for Ohio, all states may vary. Can any one see anything in here that would rule out a quad from being street legal?

Honda99_300ex
11-26-2002, 11:40 AM
dude,that sweet, thanks a lot.....im gonna call the bmv tonight.....where in ohio are you from.....?

330EXman
11-26-2002, 12:19 PM
yes there are street legal quads

in the us though you must have three wheels if it has four it is considered an offrad vehical i think but and way mike tryke i think it is called had quad conversions that comes with a rear swing arm that makes your quad have one tire in the rear and comes with dmv approved strret tires and chains and blinkers and all the good stuff i dont know if he has a web page but i remember dirt wheels having this in there mg

its called

Mike Tryke conversions i think

he has the whole kit that comes with everything to make it legal to drive your atv on the roads

Racing Rice
11-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Honda99_300ex
dude,that sweet, thanks a lot.....im gonna call the bmv tonight.....where in ohio are you from.....?

Im from Highland County, its South of Dayton..:)

stupid driver
11-26-2002, 04:37 PM
ive seen 1 street legal quad in my life. it was a cupple months ago in kansas when we went to see family. it was a grizzly 660. had flat tires and everything.

Honda99_300ex
11-27-2002, 10:20 AM
so with the big list that was posted, it still doesnt say that we can make them street legal.

AndrewRRR
11-27-2002, 11:58 AM
It would be fun, although without street tires you'd go through rubber pretty quick. Most quad's can't get up to freeway speeds, and even if you gear them to, they'd be running in 5th or 6th at WOT just to keep up with traffic.
Another problem, one that street bikes have as well, is cars don't look for something as small as a bike when they are changing lanes or pulling out into traffic. That's your biggest hazard when riding a street bike, other motorists.
I question whether the brakes on most quads would stop fast enough. They aren't meant for the increased grip of pavement and sticky tires. I've locked up all 4 on my R and slid up to the door of my shop doing plug checks, takes a while to stop compared to a car going a similar speed.