PDA

View Full Version : do i need a new head?

400exrider_88
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
got an 01, some of u may have seen an add for a junk head, but now im thinking i might not need a new one. i took the head to an atv shop that said the cam lobes are worn and may cause the cam to bounce around and make the timing chain come off. the wear doesnt look like too much, but i dont want to make this happen. so, the head has rough cam lobes, i know i need one new rocker arm because it was worn out. need expert opinion.

Dew2008
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Not to thread hi jack but my 440 jumped time with a stage 3 hotcam and come to think of it my rocker arms a VERY worn. Would this have cause the chain to jump time?

Dew2008
04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Mine did not run ****ty I was coming from 2nd down to 1st and shifted to early, It reved down and within 5 seconds the bike just shut off and would not start back up. Pulled the valve cover and the rockers were worn, The chain had jumped atleast 3 teeth on the sprocket. I am just trying to figure out it the rockers caused this or my goof in down shifting to early.

Any input?

400exrider_88
04-15-2008, 08:27 AM

BigBore24
04-15-2008, 09:19 AM
high rpms shouldnt cause a chain to jump unless something is worn to begin with. have you already replaced the chain and checked the tensioner. mine jumped time twice. the first was due to a strethed chain and the second a bad tensioner. i understand what the guy at the shop was saying but if the lobes were that bad causing the cam to bounce i think it would be noticeable. start with the chain and tensioner if you havent already