PDA

View Full Version : Help me change my sprocket

Nolv4Ho
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
How do i change the front sprocket on my 05 trx450r. I have the 13t sprocket. And I have the sprocket cover off. Do i have to take the chain off?
:macho

kenheehn3
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
once you have the cover off, there are two bolts holding the sprocket and retainer onto the shaft. remove those 2 bolts and wiggle the sprocket off. once you are ready to put the new sprocket on you will need to release some tension on the chain and put the sprocket on and tighten the chain back up.
~Kenny

Nolv4Ho
04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Okay. thanks for the reply. But Im half retarded. So i have to ask how to release tension on the chain?

300ex mxracer
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by kenheehn3
once you have the cover off, there are two bolts holding the sprocket and retainer onto the shaft. remove those 2 bolts and wiggle the sprocket off. once you are ready to put the new sprocket on you will need to release some tension on the chain and put the sprocket on and tighten the chain back up.
~Kenny

Actually on the 450r there is one bolt in the center of the sprocket that you have to remove. The two bolt sprockets are on the 300.

To loosen the chain, loosen the four allen bolts on the back of the carrier. Then stick a punch or something in one of the slots in the carrier just to the right of the rear sprocket. I cant remember which way to turn it but one of the ways will loosen it enough to get the front sprocket off.

stumpleg
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Looking at the carrier from behind, the place you put the punch or whatever would be on the left. To loosen the chain, you would push it forward. It should rotate in the swingarm releasing tension on the chain.

Nolv4Ho
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the prompt help. I think I have successfully installed my new sprocket. There isnt anything else I have to change is there?
Thanks again for the info
:D