PDA

View Full Version : marcums

KAWSAM62
11-25-2002, 10:22 AM
hello everyone give me the dirt , yey or ney on marcums in palatka i might after getting info on another post give him my 400ex to put a 416 kit in and i want to feel confident with his business and if its all nays give some possible other shops with good reveiws i just mainly do aggresive trail riding so the hipo hi dollar shops would maybe not be the right choise for me just some opinins would be appreciated and some good sources tx:confused:

YZROOSTINYA
11-25-2002, 10:25 AM
got my kit from him for my 416, i did all my work. there were some gaskets missing that i though would be included. there not in the pic though on his site so it was my error. other than that no probs, he didn't give me my 5% though. my bud didn't get his 5% either. no biggie, i have my stuff and my quad rocks

Pappy
11-25-2002, 10:29 AM
try the quadshop for a better discount and superior service .....

the 416 is a good set up...rico has it and his quad is mighty fast.
are you looking to do most of teh work or ship it out?

mysticfalcon
11-25-2002, 10:41 AM
Id give the quad shop a ring. I had the marcums 416 and it didnt come with all teh gaskets it said it would and i didnt get my 5% either. The service at marcums has gone downhill.

KAWSAM62
11-25-2002, 12:42 PM
i can do the teck work built a variety of engines before but sometimes its better to let the shop do the work for warranty reasons they cant argue you did it wrong when they did the work if you know what i mean and sometimes what they charge to do it is cheap:devil

KAWSAM62
11-26-2002, 09:34 AM
BUMP

BadA$$440
11-26-2002, 09:45 AM
I got the 416 kit from him and he did the boring. But i dont reccomend anything else from them such as Port, 3 angle valve job, etc cuz his work sucks. I didnt get my 5% and and his service sucked

Pro400EXC
11-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Dang,i dunno about ya'll,but he's very nice to me,and always gives me great service...so i dunno....

Also, Jesse,for $350,what do you expect from a port job? Most port job's cost $350 alone,w/o the boring ,and etc....

KAWSAM62
11-27-2002, 09:07 AM
any more

oynot400
11-27-2002, 09:16 AM
I have tried to do business with him. Either no one answers the phone or they don't have what I want in stock. I have had excellent luck with Jeff at the Quad Shop! :D

11-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by KAWSAM62
sometimes its better to let the shop do the work for warranty

most places don't really warranty big bore jobs,,I know when I had mine done,,the price was awesome, but they clearly stated and wrote on the paperwork,,NO WARRANTY

gojk
11-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Does anybody know if you can get a JE piston with the 416 kit. Someone earlier stated that they got a WISECO. I e-mailed him and I am waiting to hear from him, but if anybody can give me the answer.

mysticfalcon
11-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Dont even think of getting a reply from marcums. he never replys to e-mail

gojk
11-27-2002, 11:52 PM
What happened? he used to answer my e-mails with in about 30 min. Is he like gunna go out of business, cause nobody use to have any complaints about him or his service. This seems kind of weird. Is he even a sponser here anymore?

cdalejef
11-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Does anybody know if you can get a JE piston with the 416 kit. Someone earlier stated that they got a WISECO. I e-mailed him and I am waiting to hear from him, but if anybody can give me the answer. Yes, you can get the JE piston with the 416 kit!

Ride400
11-28-2002, 08:15 AM
ive always had good service with marcums, always shipped my stuff out fast and got back quickly to my emails.

gojk
11-28-2002, 10:42 AM
MARCUMS has been the best place that I have bought stuff from but I was just kinda curious why so many people haven't had good luck with him lately.

Gusto
11-29-2002, 02:16 PM
According to Terry Marcum, they won't be selling the JE piston with the 416 kit any longer. They do confirm that Wiseco bought out JE. The website was supposed to be changed to show the Wiseco piston (87mm 11:1) being offered in the "416" kit....

400ex99
11-30-2002, 06:56 PM
i ordered the 416 from marcums, did the work myself. i did send my cylinder so he could bore it out, he also did a mild porting job.
if u want to spend alot of money on porting and polishing, then i would send the head to someone else. terry has been good on tech. advice and sending stuff to me on time. however, his helper Larry has told me wrong tech advice, i would talk to terry ONLY.:D

gojk
12-02-2002, 12:20 PM
I was just looking at piston kits at other places and isn't MARCUMS a little high on the cost of the 416 kit. Even if you take off the $15 for boring it is still like $150. Piston kits everywhere else without boring is like $100. What else is included that the $50 replaces?

Fluid400
01-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Never had a problem with Marcum either. Actually he bought shirts from me before I spent a dime with him. Everytime I stop in he stops and talks for a while. Great man. If anyone call and does not get him then he's riding.

02 Red Rider
01-21-2003, 04:04 PM
I never used to have a problem with Marcums until recently. Slow to ship items and when I decided not to take the XR Cam that I had ordered they charged me a $10 restock fee. Restock fee? My ordered didn't even get shipped out for another 4 days after I asked them to keep the cam. No big deal but, I spent more than $900 on that order not including the cam. And they will swear to you that you cannot get a JE Piston, WRONG. Wiseco did not buy out JE, his distributor probably deals in the Wiseco Pistons instead of the JE Pistons now. Talk to C&D or to The Quadshop about getting the kit.

cdalejef
01-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Thats odd....I still get JE pistons from White Brothers.

02 Red Rider
01-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Thats odd....I still get JE pistons from White Brothers.

Yeah, I don't know why he tells people that. I see it all the time out here where someone has called Marcums to get the JE Piston and they are told that Wiseco bought out JE. I actually called both JE and Wiseco and was told by both that they are seperate companies that are owned by a larger parent company (Dover Corp). They have been owned by Dover for many years though so I don't know. I just like to deal with a shop that is educated in the parts that they sell.:(

Colby@C&DRacing
01-21-2003, 05:23 PM
JE and Ross both make good pistons. It is true that Wiseco owns JE but they are still seperate companies and JE still makes all of their own pistons the same way that they used to. I recommend the JE or the Ross over the wiseco pistons. As far as the gasket kits they come from the manufactor with a head gasket, base gasket, cam chain tensioner gasket, and the four o-rings that go in the valve cover caps. If you want a new valve cover gasket and the bottom sleeve o-ring they must be bought seperatley.

Quadfather
01-21-2003, 08:26 PM
I stopped doing business with Marcums, as well. Their customer service went right down the crapper. The last time I ordered from them, I told them my bike was done except for the items I ordered. They assured me the stuff would be sent out immediately. I waited three weeks, and called them. They told me that they forgot to box and ship the items. Then, when I posted here about it, Terry sent me a very nasty private message. Pi$$ on him. You wanna ride, or run a business?

Deal with the Quadshop, or our sponsor.

400ex99
01-22-2003, 12:35 PM
i ordered the 416 kit with a je piston from marcums. he has been helpful when asking tech. questions over the phone. next day email response. ordered alot of other items with no problem. However: dont ask his helper Larry any tech questions, when he answers uhhhhh, you know he dont know the right answer.:blah