PDA

View Full Version : My twins....

mebcop
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, I picked them up today.... that's right THEM. My wife and I both got the yellow ds450. The dealership I got them at also dealt Suzuki's so I test rode the new zuke and the ds back to back. I instantly fell in love with the ds. I would DEFINITELY be faster on the zuke on a track, but that's not what I ride 90 percent of the time.

The bikes started up PERFECT today. They both have the infamous clutch noise on takeoff.... pretty loud too, but I don't really care as long as it's not hurting anything. They do lack a tad in the low end but when the RUSH HITS it's phenominal. It kinda reminds me of the top end pull that my predator had, but this is in a 345 pound ROCKET!!! Maybe it's just because I haven't ridden in about a year, but I thought this thing just plain hauled ***!!! The lt-r had more power down low but it never became interesting for me. It pulled strong the whole way, just not exciting at all. The lt-r also handled bumps pretty good, but the ds seemed soooo much softer and easier in the woops!!! No they weren't atvmx woops, they were just bumps on the trail, but they were spaced just like mx woops. The ds likes to wheelie so much better than the lt-r, which is what the lt-r is shooting for with it's set-up. Again, the lt-r seems perfect for what it's made for, but I just didn't like it on the trails!!! I kinda wish the ds had reverse, but what do you expect, it's made to be a racer, right.

OK, now the downfall.... It is pretty tippy. Again, this may be because I had a predator before, but this thing really likes to two-wheel in turns. I will probably look at a +2 a-arm setup in the future, but I just spent ALL of my money on these quads... I didn't have any issues starting either of them at all today, hot or cold. Kinda tough to remember to not push the gas though while it's turning over. The tires grip really really good too. That's all I have for now, but I'm going on a big ride Sunday so I'll have some pics and probably vids for you guys!!!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/QUADSFOREXRIDERS.jpg

ds450maniac
04-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Congrats on the twins lol, keep us posted after your ride and tell us how they did in what you were riding in because thur isn't to many ride reports on the ds's on this site thats why I'm now leaning towards getting a LTR or KFX and the DS is on the back burner. Also what do u ride? Cause I ride mostly trails but I plan on racing mx in the future. I'm gonna try to ride the DS,LTR and the Kawi at the dealer and see which one I like best. Also do u think that the DS has alot of leg room cause I'm 6" and growing and I need a quad that has alot of leg room

shanester22
04-15-2008, 05:34 AM
congrats on the new twins in the family.......the ds is incredible isn't it!!!!!! i love mine!!!! i just cut the pink wire and took the lid off and the low end is a big difference. no pipe or anything yet but i am not worried about getting too much more out of her cause she's got plenty now!! hope you enjoy your new additions to the family and i'll be waiting to see some vid's and pics.:D

mebcop
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
To be honest with you, I LOVE THE KAWI... it's just having too many cam problems and it just doesnt' have the power I'd want. It handled AWESOME!!!I also think the kawi is the BEST looking quad out there (some love it some hate it). The lt-r just feels .... it's hard to explain it..... FLAT. It feels so low to the ground and it bottoms out(not the suspension, the quad drags on ruts) so easy it feels like the tires are flat. Maybe it's just me but I like a little plushness when riding the trails. Also, don't get me wrong cuz the lt-r is a GREAT machine and it's perfect for mx'ing, but I hated it on the trail. I don't really know too much about how good the DS will be for a 6+footer as I am 5'6" ... haha. I did read in a shootout that it had a lot of room for a person to slide around to wherever he needs to sit though. I will be taking a bunch of pic's/vid's this weekend so hold off on buying something. I'll be riding with an 07 lt-r, a few yfz's, a renegade, etc....

I WOULD NOT BUY AN ATV WITHOUT RIDING IT!!!, and if your dealer expects you to, you need a new dealer.

ScottB125
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm 6'2" and I have plenty of room on my DS. My intial impression also was that it felt tipsy. Its not though. You lean and blip the throttle and it will come on around.

mebcop
04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
yah, I haven't come close to flipping it on it's side or anything, it must be just cuz of the hight of the seat

ThePhantomRider
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
You also need to get used to how precise the steering is. It goes where you tell it, when you tell it, where most other quads push more. It scrubs speed off where with a little body English and some seat time, you'll be just fine.

TPR

wzito001
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Congrats on your new DSs! You will love the quad that is for sure. I recently piped mine, cut the wire, air box mods and velocity filter and it is even better! Alot of fun on the trails and dunes for me. I am 6' as well and Ithe quad is plenty comfortable for a sport quad. And for the guy looking at the Kawi - way too heavy and it is slow from what I have seen. In fact the only quad I have any comp with in the dunes has been the YFZ. But YOU should go with what YOU like the best after test riding, because they are all pretty close in every category and they are all well built machines at this point.

BZ

mebcop
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Good news and bad news..... first, the good. I got some pics today!!! Now the bad.... One's smoking pretty bad. It doesn't really smell like coolant so I'm guessing it's the break in oil. Did anyone else have this go away??? It doesn't smoke at all until you start getting on it and then it smokes pretty bad for a little bit but if you let it idle for a while it goes away.... hmmmmm

mebcop
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Please leave some suggestions if you have any!!! I'm gonna check in the AM if they maybe put too much oil in it??? Shouldn't be having ring problems at 25 minutes.... haha. Not a good way to start things off!!!

On a side note, the power is AMAZING. I've finally put some time on mine so I went WOT for a second in 2nd gear and ..... woh. It wheelies SOOOO easy!!! I love this thing

jmoney45
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't really have any suggestions but if I had a new ATV and it started smoking I would take it back to the dealer. Let them deal with it while it's under warranty still.

wzito001
04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree, take it to the dealer right away. Don't even waste your time trying to figure it out it could be causing damage.

mebcop
04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Well guys... I went to the dealer and they told me that it is normal to smoke in the first hour or so of riding and they told me to keep riding in "break in mode". I was quite skeptical of this but that's what they said to do, so I did. I started it up, let it warm up and then put it through it's paces today and guess what... not a puff of smoke at all!!! It ran PERFECT. They both did!! Boy do they like the higher RPM's!!! They are so much more fun than my predator was. I'll do a complete ride report this evening on todays ride..... more to come!!!

wzito001
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Mine never did that. I am not sure that is normal, but I am glad it turned out ok for you. Enjoy!

BZ

jaredw
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
mine did it.

mebcop
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
finally got some pics of the big ride before we left. they are not so great, wrong person behind the camera.http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/quadday005.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/quadday006.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/quadday004.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/quadday002.jpg

mebcop
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/rideday.jpg