PDA

View Full Version : r/c cars gas or electric?

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 10:15 AM
here's my car my 3rd lil one (quad,dirtbike,rc truck,real truck) see all the thing i waste my money on? lol at the time in this pic it has:
speed demon tires,neon silicone tubing(green),neon yellow rims,anodized mip cvd's front turnbuckles,neon nylon fornt bumper dynamite .12 motor,associted tank,factory power pipe with low end expansion valve ni-tec 313 servos,billet radio and servo mount,progressive suspension rezzies,anodized red buttsink, and high strength anodized blue tie rods. now its all white with a ford f-150 body on it and some big crime buster tires ohh ya and the frame is anodized blue! more stuff to come and a whole mess of crap i didnt mention......man working on htis thing makes the quad a breeze....

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 10:29 AM
here is the pic i am going to load it again dang imacs i can never post pics with this thing right..

YardDog24
11-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Keep tryin, no pics yet :D

I just finished bulding a Kyosho Mad Force. (busted a knuckle on break in, still waiting for the part, my fault tho, not a design thing)
I also just got my HPI Savage on Thurs, it was a hooker to get started the first time but break in is goin well on those. Should be fun to take em when I go riding....

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 11:08 AM
my car is a rc10gt i just bought a trinty picco motor for it non pull start and man that buger rips it killed my nitro 4-tec that is stock............in a straight line drag race that is.......but iam going to try it again

phatswinn
11-25-2002, 11:51 AM
i had a traxxis nitro hawk awhile back, i put a pro .15 in it and it had the little blue andonized pipe and everything, it was in perfect condion until the batterys for the control died and it went full throttle (about 45) into a mailbox post, i fixed it and made it nice like it was before i crashed it and sold it for $260 on ebay, i bought it for 160 the year before on ebay so i made a hundred dollers and got to play with it, they're so much maintnece it drove me crazy but there cool. i think i have a pic of it at my moms

James70214
11-25-2002, 11:54 AM
I just sold all of my R/C Car stuff. I had a Losi XXX-T, a RC10 B3, A XX-NT, and a HPI Rush. They are alot of fun, but a lot of $$$

Sportrax10
11-25-2002, 01:15 PM
i really wanna get a r/c car.... what is the best gas powered one to get and where shoould i get it? please put up some pics!

Z-King
11-25-2002, 01:25 PM
well i have had a rc10 b3 and a nitro rustler and the gas if funner but the electric is easyer to take care of

Z-King
11-25-2002, 01:26 PM
oh yeah and my opinion on what you should get is a maxxis t-maxx they are bad asss

DGR Designs
11-25-2002, 01:49 PM
speaking of these little beasts, anybody race the stadium trucks or buggies? i have a duratraxx nitro Axis buggy with all the mods lol and i also have a HPI RS-4 Pro impreza 4wd rally car. that thing is king. i also have a Kyosho USA-1 Nitro truck and THAT is awesome. oh yea forgot to say go to www.towerhobbies.com for your stuff

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 02:06 PM
well here are deciding factors:
get a gas truck/car if:
1. you know how to work on gas rc motors
2.you have experince working on rc vehclies in general
3.to get a gas 4x4 takes a lot of technique run good and long the drive shaft need to be inspected reguallary motor checked alot too to the extra strain a 4x4 puts onto the motor
4.like me you know there is know substitue for gas power
5.you can look for rtr's ready to run cars lik the rc10gt rtr which is what i reccomend i have had 3 of them since 1993 since they first came out.
6.dont get one if you live in a sound sensitve area
7.if you have one make sure before you buy it you have a close hobby shop that knows what they are talking about.
8. be prepared to lose screws that everything bolts onto unless you loctite them all which i highly recomend due to the vibrations they make and let it sit over night
9. dont mind eating a mess of tires
10.buying gas that costs 16dollas a gallon but lasts forever on 1 gallon of gas!
11.before you start tearing into something take the car over to the hobby shop they usually look at it for you and can tell ya whats wrong free of charge.
12. buy the clear lil tackle boxesand label every part 1- how many acrews are on the bopttom of the car then get a big diagram and numberevery screw hole 19 and go to the box and get 19 out trust me i made this system and i carry 2 extra of everyhting in my toolbox a extra motor even! extra pair of shocks
13.make sure you clean clean clean!
15. the best brands to me are ae-associeted,traxxas,serpent,losi,yokomo and hpi for cars to buy
16 when you buy a car that does not say rtr that means it comes in peices and you need to build it from the ground up but it includes everything except motor which 80 buks for a good one and radio and servos which youbuy in a set then your tools like glow plugs 2 buks a peice get the good ones too and fuel bottle(must have) and glow plug heater so the engine will turnover even!
17. make sure you get a pullstart for your first car cause not pullstart is for racing and starterboxes are big hard to carry and expensive
18. make sure you read all your manuals!
why to buy eletric:
1.silent to run
2. easier to maintain
3.electric motors are cheap
4.batteries for rc cars liek this only take 15mintues to charge usually so if you have 3 you can run nonstop!
5.longer screw life due to light vibes compared nitro cars
6. better and more simple for a beginner
7. better control of car electric is consistant gas you never know if it will start or not electric turn on the battery and boom she turns
8.electric racing trucks have reverse on htem whereas gas racing trucks dont.
9. theres more to say but i cant think of them right now so eat on this buy a few issues of radio control car action and the 2002-2003 buyers guide and it will help you get a perfect car

i started out with a lil electric buggy i think it was a koyosho oldies man lol then to assoctied the tamiya and i will never buy tamyia again to get 1 part you need to buy whole set not just that part and they were slow for the time too. i went back to associated and havent looked back!heres the url to my pic of my car!

mine is the first one in the list when i had just got it together.

http://www.rc10gthobby.com/custrides2.htm -hopes this works.....and i do race!!!!!!!!!!:D

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
and the body is m buddies he broke mine at the time he flipped the car mine is a white ford f-150 he wrote the info about the body and the devil dog i dont know why it was before i even had a computer and yes it was him that is in the navies not me i have no idea why he did that smart guy just no common sense.............:rolleyes:

cdalejef
11-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Here is my entry, T-Maxx converted to SuperMaxx. This chassis is like the LOBO chassis for quads.
This is what me and rowlrag do after we walk the GNCC tracks on fridays.

cdalejef
11-25-2002, 02:45 PM
It has a .21 OS motor and pulls wheelies for days!:eek:

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 03:06 PM
nice supermaxx and nice body too man how much did that paint job run ya? also you wanna me and my rc10gt with a dynamite motor mip cvd's complete ball bearing progressive shocks with rezzies and threaded shock bodies! lol just messin maybe on the next hatfeild trip i can take those along with me and get busted with em.....me and jeff will hold grudge matches!:eek: :p :D

cdalejef
11-25-2002, 03:19 PM
Sure.....I can run over top of your GT!!!:eek:
I couldn't keep my progressives from leaking oil:confused: so I sold them.

Sportrax10
11-25-2002, 03:23 PM
if i get one it would definatly be gas..... i saw a show called radio controlled hobbies and ever since then i wanted to get one bad. I wanted an rc10gt cause that the first thing i saw..... all together how much money.. and which would you recomend to someone who probibly just use it for fun( not racing), i have a lot of room and places to ride it and jumps to hit.....and the least mud as possible.

Sportrax10
11-25-2002, 03:24 PM
also where do you get that magizine?

could i get a good one cheap of ebay?

mod300ex
11-25-2002, 03:31 PM
i race thoese things and its prity damn fun but alot of money!lol im one of the chepe ones and i spend like 75 a night lOL but i win almost every race if u cna drive u will win! i have a nitron rc10GT for sale it is in mint condition! only raced it 1 day !!!!!!!!!!make a price

QuadTrix6
11-25-2002, 03:52 PM
i got a nitro rustler is sick but ever time i ride it i break the thing :rolleyes: :devil

Sportrax10
11-25-2002, 04:17 PM
mod300ex i could be interested but i have no idea how much there worth

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 04:30 PM
yeah if you look you can find good used ones ready to rock just 200bucks for the old tub chassis style rc10gt's but sporttrax boy you can get a worked electric rc10t3 looks just liek the gas same chassis and all just electric get a 21 turn motor like a orion or trinity and youll be catchin alotta cars out on the track and that what i did electric is better for a beginner trust me on this my friend traded in his koysho for a rc10t3-electric truck and loves rc again trust me on this get a electric one first less to go wrong! and look up hobbies in your phone book for hobby shops in your area and tlak to them!

flyin#5
11-25-2002, 04:36 PM
i hate high performance r/c cars that are electric. my little cuzin has one that is really fast but it burns through the best batterie he can get in 10 min max. i think gas is the way to go.

bandit390
11-25-2002, 04:44 PM
My local paintball place wasted alot of time building 2 good tracks for those things. After about 2 months no one really showed up and used them. So they changed them into small tournament fields.

lil400exman
11-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by flyin_400EX
i hate high performance r/c cars that are electric. my little cuzin has one that is really fast but it burns through the best batterie he can get in 10 min max. i think gas is the way to go.

flyinsounds lik his bttery was shot you can usually get 15mintues out of a battery but gas is good just you need to learn the basics of r/c first and electric is better than gas for that....pj

MotoRacer
11-25-2002, 05:05 PM
where can I get a nice gas one? I live in NJ..where on the web can I find out about them. I think it would be a fun hobby other than quads. thanks.

Moto

mod300ex
11-25-2002, 05:07 PM
the rc10gt is going for around 350 to 400 in the local hobyshop and i mean this car is mint there is notthing wrong and was hardly ran im askin 250 obo for it

phatswinn
11-25-2002, 05:19 PM
250 is a good price for a nitro r/c in good condition, i was suprised when mine sold for what it did. they are very high maintnence, you ALWAYS need to use after run oil and charge the batterys for the turning and throttle controls, and alot of the gears wear down and the mtor needs to be tuned all the time ect.. otherwise u can get good at driving and drive them under cars and crap, i had a 5 ft ramp for mine with allitle landing ramp and everythin ont he track i made in my back yard. have fun with it

99_400EX
11-25-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by MotoRacer
where can I get a nice gas one? I live in NJ..where on the web can I find out about them. I think it would be a fun hobby other than quads. thanks.

Moto

ill sell you mine it is a team losi gtx modified with some custom CNC machined parts and team lost nxt parts it has lots of mods from MIP, stinger exhaust, pro flow filter, a crap load of extra wheels and tires ,FM radio ,all servos, EZ starter, extra glow plugs ,a glow plug starter ,nitro fuel, turbo fueler , extra body and more stuff it has you will ever need and then some extra parts also

i have like $1000 invested into it it has a small crack in the gas tank but you could get a new one pretty cheep of just super glue it ill let it go for $200 shipped

Fender Bender
11-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by flyin_400EX

sounds about right if hes running a mod motor.

And a nitro is gonna run anywhere from 6-10 minuits (stock) and then you gotta let it cool for about 10 minuits. and fuel is like 35 a gallon.

I have a mfe xxx-t with a cyclone 2 esc, and different motors, novak millenium 2 charger, futaba 3pjfs radio, xxtra reciever..

xxxnt drake edition with a mugen mt-12.

Sparks425Ex
11-25-2002, 07:21 PM
I wanna get a Big Ole 4x4 or a truck like Jeffs. I want summthing that is big and has ground clearance. I wanna be able to take ti to the races. and rip around the track after races are over. I don;t really care how fast it is as long as it has power.

What should I look into getting?

Where can I look at Gas Powered Trucks?

I want one just like jeffs. Alot of Ground Clearance.

Fender Bender
11-25-2002, 08:03 PM
you should check out the tmaxx, www.traxxas.com they have a message board just like this one, the best price on a tmaxx is probably at tower hobbies, www.towerhobbies.com hope this helps, later

yellow_ho_01
11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
smallest .... with biggest (42" popeyes) in background

yellow_ho_01
11-25-2002, 08:44 PM
36" cat

yellow_ho_01
11-25-2002, 08:46 PM
another,but better/running 36" cat

quadman
11-25-2002, 08:47 PM
my car is shut the heck up

yellow_ho_01
11-25-2002, 08:48 PM
last one...

11-26-2002, 01:23 AM
I have a traxxis stampede, with a .15 O.S. engine, only one gallon ran though it. anodized chassis, titanum tie rods, two aftermarket shocks, many more parts, just don't remember all now. starts very easy. it sit off the ground quite a bit but is only two wheel drive. make me an offer.

cdalejef
11-26-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex
I wanna get a Big Ole 4x4 or a truck like Jeffs. I want summthing that is big and has ground clearance. I wanna be able to take ti to the races. and rip around the track after races are over. I don;t really care how fast it is as long as it has power.

I want one just like jeffs. Alot of Ground Clearance. Hey NACS, I have a stock T-Maxx I'll sell ya! With electric start!

YardDog24
11-26-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex

I want one just like jeffs. Alot of Ground Clearance.

The Tmaxx is a nice rig for sure. I went with the MadForce cause I liked the solid axles and three speed tranny (more like a real monster). I went with the Savage over the Tmaxx because of the overall design....just liked it better. I dont think you can really go wrong in any case. They all are expensive to buy, run and fix. And you will be fixing them all.....

cdalejef
11-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by YardDog24
They all are expensive to buy, run and fix. And you will be fixing them all..... Unless you own a SuperMaxx!;)

HoNdAdude48
11-26-2002, 10:22 AM
dude i have a t-maxx with a e-maxx body. all we had to do was trim out the bed of the truck for the motor.

lil400exman
11-26-2002, 01:08 PM
cars take especially gas maintence and skill i know alotta guys that throw gas and batteries on her and thats it until they blow her up they are alot skill not jut what you pick up from walmart........and yellow_ho 01 nice boats i had a airboatuntil a was coming into the lake and my servo horn cracked that turned my air guides and slam into a tree i sold it on ebay as a parts boat for like 160 and is that a 1.20 in the yellow boat?:confused:

Birddog5150
01-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Jeff,

Do you still have that stock T-maxx for sale? Is it RTR with truck, controller and starter? What condition is it in if you still have it?

poynter446
01-05-2003, 08:28 PM
i got a tmaxx 2.5 4 xmas and it ran about 360 but i had all the nitro stuff from my nitro thunder king my tmaxx smokes my thunder king and it is alot easier to maintain the only thing is i already broke tha axll and mip cvds are on b/o

luvmyex
01-06-2003, 03:27 PM
I like the elect my self.I raced for about 2yrs and won several plaques and trophy's.Then i got into atv's and the rest is history.There was many times i would smoke the gas on the tracks.They just dont handle as good as electric and i could out drive em.They would spin too much and slide while i was hooking up and blowing by.lol It was so much fun driving these things on a track.Nothing like the back yard.There would be doubles,tripples,tables,off camber just like a mini mx track.I even helped build a few and the local track.Last one had a double table top that was 35' and could only be cleared with a mod motor in the trucks but a stock motor in a buggy would clear it also.I still have my stuff but never mess with it and wouldnt mind selling it all.I have a losi xxxt,a lossi xxtcr and a xxcr,plus a assoc.T-3 road car.plus manty sets of tires,motors,tools,and all the other junk.Sure do miss it but cant afford to do that and keep up the quad.

wheeltrax
01-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Anyone interested in a kyosho EP ST? It needs a Servo for the mechanical speed control.. or a ESC would be better yet. Other than that its in decent condition. If anyones interested make me an offer. It comes with the controller also. If your interested or want some pictures just PM me or reply to this thread.

And it will need the Axle joint things too as one snapped on it. They run about 3 dollars at tower hobbies so its not a big deal.

Z400central
01-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Nice to see some tmaxxes and supermaxxes here! you guys go to maxxtraxx.com? i used to but since they converted to the new forum software, its REALLY slow.........

2fastandfurious
01-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Gas ONLY! I hated my old electric one.
-Ben

luvmyex
01-06-2003, 04:40 PM
gas is too much hassel. A good modified motor will run just as fast as gas to. i was passing cars in a 45mph speed zone with my tc-3.pretty easy too.I could even catch em from a stand still.and thats with a 12 turn motor. drop down to a 8 turn and i bet it would do 70 or better.

Fender Bender
01-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Heres a couple of pics of my toys:D

Fender Bender
01-06-2003, 04:47 PM
and last one....by the way, i painted the bodies:D

ridesa00400EX
01-06-2003, 06:30 PM
heres a few pics of mine. its a t-maxx with ofna hyper .21 conversion, maxx mulchers with rpm rims. aluminum front and rear bumpers and skids. surburban body, and much more

ridesa00400EX
01-06-2003, 06:32 PM
these pics r old some some of the mods i put in my last post arent on it yet

ridesa00400EX
01-06-2003, 06:33 PM
last 1