PDA

View Full Version : what do these bikes ride like?

rollie
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Im interested in how the Leager 250 geo or any 250R geo frames run with CRF engines in them...im nto sure if i like how low they sit, but im told they handle amazing, how do they jump and everything, whats it like compared to a 450R?

thanks!:cool:

wishmasstir
04-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by rollie
Im interested in how the Leager 250 geo or any 250R geo frames run with CRF engines in them...im nto sure if i like how low they sit, but im told they handle amazing, how do they jump and everything, whats it like compared to a 450R?

thanks!:cool:

I think just about everybody in this section will agree that a leager t-pinned 250r geo hybrid will out handle anything out there. They jump easier than the production bikes I think.

jrspawn
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Hybrids in general normally handle very good, As long as the suspension and front end are set up properly. Thats the key thing with any quad. As far as a t pin front end out handleing anything, i disagree. The t pin is a good front end, bu from owning and building several quad with it i can say there are other front ends that handle as good or better. Again its a good front end, but over time became over rated and priced. They wear rather quickly and form slop in most of the joints and can get costly to rebuild. From all the quads ive had and ridden, i have to say a full Walsh chassis with the correct shock setup is best handling and most comfortable hybrid out there!

Thank you
Justin

ROLLIN
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I think the t-pins are great. they can turn and react better without any bind. a buddy of mine has one and that thing turns flat... layed out flat. you get wear with any setup but i guess the t-pin just seems safer. they cost alot to buy but they look more custom like a hybird should

racernorris
04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
there are several options here, walsh, lone star, prp, laeger, and others. all based on the 250r geo. the main difference is the rear shock setup, prp, lone star, etc run a no link rear setup, laeger used the cr500 link, walsh used the crf450 link. each handled a little different. the main thing i like about the no link, it would (if set up properly) just kill woops, but it wasn't as forgiving on the big jumps as say the cr500 or the crf450 link. as far as weight, the laeger was the winner, the walsh being the heaviest. a stock trx450 race ready (every thing) oil and gas about #395, my leager with gas and oil is #355, one of my customers walsh weights #387. for every 7 pounds of weight you add you need 1 more hp to carry it. the trx450r motor is not centered in the frame, this causes it to push in stock form, so you have to change the length of the swing arm and the caster in the front to make it handle any where close. the 04-05 needs a +1 1/8 longer swing arm (for the average rider), the 06-08 needs a+ .5 swing arm and you need to change the spindles and hubs to 04-05 to make the front handle properly. the geometry of the spindle and offset of the hub make a ton of difference. i am not going to tell you any more problems there are with trx, you may not believe me! but i just picked up my 7th 06-07 trx with a blown trans in the past month, i have already said to much. sorry!
i have built and or ridden every brand quad, and all most every brand shock and a-arm setup out there ( in the past 15 years) hands down nothing handles, jumps, or rides better than a properly tuned 250r/hybrid. with that said, you might like a lone star where i like a laeger.

norris
quinn motorsports

:macho :macho :macho

jrspawn
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
PRP also did a CR, CRF, and YZF bike linkages on the quads also, like someone else had said, im not sure that prp did a no link? Most walsh frames were made with the CR500 links, the later CRF frames had the CRF links. They also made a no link R frame, i have im pretty sure the only one out there really.

Another thing to take in consideration with the rear ends are what rate springs you are using. This is pretty much what the rider feels comfortable on though. Some like single rate, some like dual, and some like tripple rates. Also tuning the cross over or the setting of when your rates transfer to the next can make a HUGE difference. This is one of the most overlooked settings while people set up their suspension. It can make night and day differences.

With weighing out quads and compairing them, its near impossible while dealing with complete quads, Way too many factors are involved. Every accessory or component difference(wheels, tires, shocks, ners, bars, fenders, seat, handguards, sprockets, bolts and nuts, flip top/non flip top?, and so on........) between the two will be different weight wise(every fraction of a lb. eventually adds up). Unless you are weighing and compairing each individual chassis compnent individually, you cant compair them as complete quads.

Rootar
04-17-2008, 05:53 AM
my prp has the crf450 linkage from an 05 model bike, from what i can tell and from what ive been told the crf450 and cr500 linkage setups are almost exactly the same as far as geometry, rate of travel, and the shock length needed......i was told they switched for better avialbility of replacement parts.

and like racernorris and jrspawn said its hard to beat how light and how good a well setup crf chassis handles, it makes a huge difference when you get on the rougher tracks, but besides the fact that they are lighter and handle great you seriously cant beat those big ole comfy quadtech 250r seats :p i would take that seat around wiht me and sit on it 24/7 if i could.

TheNewn
04-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Can you still get those quadtech seats for the R?

racernorris
04-17-2008, 07:30 AM
i can't believe that i forgot to mention the seat, every customer that sits on my 250r seat (my couch) has a fit, and want to know if they can put one on there production quad. by the way, dave porters (owner of prp) personal hybrid was a no link and all the first ones he built were no link. he just sold it for $5500. quad tech offers a cross country seat cover and padding for the production quads, i will check and see if they still offer a seat cover for the 250r, my guess is they still do. as far as weight of different quads, yes it does make a difference between the brand of chassie,(for example). lone star made 3 different frames the baja, mx, and tt frames. with the baja being the heaviest. the weight is only important when comparing to a stock mild steel frame on these production quads, chromoly is 5 time stronger than mild steel, this is why most production quads have to gusset there frames, and replace them every year or so. most chromoly frames are still in use, (example) i bought a laeger 250r frame i 1996, i raced it for 4 years, sold it to terry herring(terry racing) he raced for 2 years, he sold it back to me and i raced it for another year and sold it to steve capps, he still races it, the frame has been welded on twice, and only powder coated once.
the problem is all the national series have moved away from the 250r and hybrids, you can only race in age or open class. this is a slap in the face to the manufacturers who got us here (after market)
honda still don't sponsor or help support us directly, the pros u see riding honda are sponsored by a local honda dealer!

norris

Nac's22
04-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Unfortunatley I have only ridden 1 hybrid. I wish it was so much more. They handle amazing. it handled like my 250R....... just 10 times better. It's a full walsh crf with the crf450 link rear. It had a 490 motor with about as much motor work that can be done short of stroking it I think. This thing was stupid fast and handled like a dream it was nothing short of amazing. On how it compaires to a 450R.... it doesn't. IMHO hybrids are head and shoulders above the production quads. Man i wish i had the money to build 1!

tx450racer
04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Ive got a prp with a CRF rear end and t pin front and I love it. I was riding my buddy's CRF while my yfz was getting a new frame and I just wasnt ever happy until I got my own. To me the yfz didnt give back enough input and my PRP is so much more predictable.

LT250Racer609
04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I got the Roll Design Lobo 2 front end with long travel axis shocks and it out handles anything i have ever ridden by far.....

pinitatv
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
jrspawn, I thought I had the only one until i saw yours....

jrspawn
04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by pinitatv
jrspawn, I thought I had the only one until i saw yours....

Nice quad man!!!

Was the chassis made from walsh as a no link? Or does/did it have a link mount on it too. Also what kind of swinger is on it, doesnt look to be walsh.

Thank you
Justin

pinitatv
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
The frame was Mike's personal TT quad in 2001 so its a real no link I didn't change anything with the suspension. It was originally a 250r chassis and I put the KTM in it so the swinger is a 88-89 style -2 250r that I modified for the 4-stroke.