PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Sparks Timing Advance???

cliff400ex
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Is this thing worth it. I guess $20 you can't go wrong......I've heard that before! Are there any side effects. I have read all about it on Curtis Sparks site. Anyone have it installed??

Honda#4
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
It's wonderful in stock motors but its not recommended in high comp motors due to the advanced timing. But yes its worth every penny.

bearair
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I know my bike sure comes off the bottom end a lot harder with it. Makes the throttle response very snappy just about everywhere. I'm happy with it.

glamiskid395
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
i love mine!
its paired with a 13t front sprocket and i can get holeshots starting in 2nd gear up against 450s.

it makes the engine run a little hotter but nothing to worry about, just make sure you have the right amount of oil in the engine when its hot out.

BlasterEaten250
04-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Is it still "smooth" power or does it make it sort of lurch whenever you barely touch the throttle when going slow? It's kind of hard to explain what I'm saying

glamiskid395
04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
Is it still "smooth" power or does it make it sort of lurch whenever you barely touch the throttle when going slow? It's kind of hard to explain what I'm saying

no it doesnt lurch unless you want it to.
i can be in 3rd gear at about 2500 RPM and give it some gas and pull a wheelie.
alot of the bog is gone that is there with the stock key

BossHogg420
04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
how do u install it?

bearair
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
how do u install it?

The left side flywheel cover has to come off. You take the flywheel off with the supplied bolt as a puller tool (use an air impact) and replace the stock flywheel key. You reinstall the flywheel and torque it to spec. Then you make sure you have all the old gasket off of the engine case and the cover and reinstall everything with a new gasket. You then reinstall the starter cover with gears.

If you don't want to drain the oil, you can prop the quad up by putting a couple cinder blocks or large wood blocks under the left side tires. If you know what you are doing, it can be done in 30-45 minutes.

glamiskid395
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
at the top of the page of exriders.com, there is a link that says 'articles' click it and it will take you to different articles on stuff to put on the 400ex, one of them is the advance key.
it gives you tips that the instructions dont tell you.

btw you NEED an impact gun to get the flywheel bolt out.

04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
btw you NEED an impact gun to get the flywheel bolt out.

Theres no other way to do it? Socket wrech maybe a pipe and rubber mallet for leverage? I dont have a impact gun nor does anyone I really know.

DementeD
04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
im about to install mine soon..need to get a few gaskets and some more oil along with another oil filter...then ill install mine..my roommate has an impact gun i believe..i just dont think my lil couple gallon aircompressor will cut it or not..

hondaking52
04-15-2008, 04:47 PM
you will need a impact gun.... a ratchet or pipe wont work, it wil just turn over, an impact gun shocks it loose, u can buy electric impact guns now to, or rent one.....

04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
this mod for me looks to be getting more expensive by the moment for me haha. My brother and I always wanted a air compressor with all the tools and such. Our friend brought 1 over when we rebuilt my brothers motor but since then I have lost contact with him after he went to jail, got out ad moved with his wife and kid. I guess I will have to buy 1. I see the ones at Home Depot and such but i'm not liking the prices.

hondaking52
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
haha, ya... at a place like home depot u can rent stuff, i'd see how much it is for air or if they have an electric one...

bearair
04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
The bolt is easy to break loose really. It's getting the flywheel to come off that's hard. You really need an impact with a socket to fit the large bolt that Curtis Sparks sends to pull the flywheel. If I remember correctly it's 30mm. Finding someone with large impact sockets would be a good thing as even the Harbor Freight ones aren't really cheap. You'll also need a torque wrench to reinstall the flywheel. You can pull the flywheel up snug with an impact LIGHTLY, but you need to use a large wrench to hold the flywheel while torquing the center bolt. Using the impact to bang the bolt back snug is asking to twist the crank. Not a good idea.

A good 1/2" drive electric impact might work. I use air, but that's what I have.

hondaking52
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
ya i used are 1/2 inch electric gun, worked good..

04-15-2008, 06:01 PM
$29 for the key and $25 for gaskets. Then whether you have an impact wrench or not... this mod that seems to be cheap isnt so cheap after all lol

glamiskid395
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
i used a impact to get the flywheel bolt off.
i tried other tools but the bolt was way to tight.
i didnt try a pipe wrench cuz it would chew up the flywheel pretty badly!

all i used to install it was an impact gun too, my crank isnt twisted as it still runs fine, better than before.

where are you buying gaskets that they are $25? you only need the one gasket. if your careful getting the gasket off you may not need to replace it, unless its the stock gasket, that will not come off easily.
my current gasket is in 2 pieces cuz im to lazy to put my new one on.

04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
$25 for a gasket because of shipping and stuff

bcg717
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Can this be used with a stage 1 hotcam? It said almost all stock engines. All i have is Hotcam, slip on, and airfilter, should i be ok?

04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
they said it works great with cams and everything just not pistons over stock compression