PDA

View Full Version : painting motor?

bbender85
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
anyone done it? what'd you use? how'd it hold up?

i just picked up a used 400, and it needs a makeover. i'm wanting to paint the frame, nerfs, and wheels, everything, all flat black. then do the motor flat black as well, but polish the fin tips, and the outside of the round cases where boots would rub off paint anyways..... then top it off with plain silver plastics.

would an engine enamal or stove pipe paint stick to aluminum at temp?

Pappy
04-15-2008, 06:21 AM
In order to do it right, you will need to disassemble the engine and properly prep the parts to be painted.

This is one I did over a year and a 1/2 ago, we redid the quad but never touched the engine ...btw this is powder coated not paint but if properly prepped you can use available engine paints for similiar results

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2350995410_d4ccbd9dda_o.jpg

trailrider894
01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
do you think it can be done without taking the entire engine apart???

jersey devil
01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Yes if you remove the engine and tape off any areas you don't want to paint you will be fine.Just use a good prep solvent to wash the motor before you tape off.
If you are using paint from a spray can just be sure you use a high heat paint,If mixing your own and spaying from a paint gun any good urethane will be fine.
Now if you are talking powder coating you have to take all the engine apart.

BlaineKaiser450
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
In order to do it right, you will need to disassemble the engine and properly prep the parts to be painted.

This is one I did over a year and a 1/2 ago, we redid the quad but never touched the engine ...btw this is powder coated not paint but if properly prepped you can use available engine paints for similiar results

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2350995410_d4ccbd9dda_o.jpg thats niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

jersey devil
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
It can be done witth out taking apart.I've done many before and if you take your time and be careful you can do a great job.
I'am sure the majority have been done when together.
The only time you need to take apart is if powder coating!