PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild after an accident

GIJoe Driver
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
So yeah, maybe 15 hours on our new 400ex quads my wife(who is one hell of a trooper) crashed pretty bad. She is going to be ok, walking on her own now and healing up pretty well. She was wearing FULL protection btw.

Anyways, her bike destoyed the front bumper snaping 2 of the bolts in half and it tweaked the frame. The lower bar where the bumper bolts to is pushed in on the left by about 3/4 of an inch. The effect is paint cracking on every weld 3 welds back indicating the welds are no good anymore(right?). My question is, would rewelding and adding gussests(sp?) correct the problem? or should i replace the fram(which i think is the answer). If it is the frame replacemnt, how much and where? If im unclear, i can certainly provide pics btw. Thanks folks!

DementeD
04-14-2008, 01:06 PM
can u atleast provide bikes of the overall bike for entertainment..
dont take this the wrong way im glad ur wife is ok and thats most important..but now that she is..might as well show off what happend and explain the story.. :D

gcart2
04-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Pictures would be cool. and considering the frame takes a huge beating (this is if you are capable of course) i would suggest getti9ng a new frame.

idk if you had an after market bumper but i would strongly suggest one.

Care for a story?

i was at this race track and theres a jump where you cant see the landing, anyways i jumped it and there was a pile up at the landing. before my tires touched the ground i hit a raptor directly in his grab bar with my bumper. bent my bumper up broke one of the bolts that hold the bumper on and most of the welds on the bumper. shox, frame, stabilizer, etc. were untouched.

BamBam730
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
First I want to start off by wishing your wife good luck on her recovery.
If you buy a new frame you wont have any problems and you will never second guess your decision. If you attempt to correct the existing frame, chances are that you will never get it perfect. With that said, buy a new frame.

GIJoe Driver
04-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by BamBam730
First I want to start off by wishing your wife good luck on her recovery.
If you buy a new frame you wont have any problems and you will never second guess your decision. If you attempt to correct the existing frame, chances are that you will never get it perfect. With that said, buy a new frame.

Thanks man. and good call. Definatly going to go with a new frame. I took some pics but you just cant tell what it is im trying to show, really all it is, is some paint that cracked showing there was stress on that particular weld. To be honest, i cant say for sure if the welds are cracked, but it looks like it, and the bottem of the front bumper support is bent in a good 1.5" so i think it is safe to assume.