PDA

View Full Version : valves

11-06-2001, 03:04 PM
ok i did all yall told me in that D.I.Y. valve adjustment just like it said thing and my valves tap even louder any suggestions

11-06-2001, 03:18 PM
It could be that they did not mention how to adjust the valve that the automatic compression release works on. I have not tried to set the valves with a stock cam but I was told that the compression release can be a problem and that you need the Honda manual for the proper adjustment. This may be what is wrong but I'm not sure. Another thing is that if you are not experienced with adjusting valves sometimes it is hard to have the right feel with the feeler gauges.

11-06-2001, 05:32 PM
will it hurt it if i run it?

11-06-2001, 07:02 PM
This is from the 99-01 Honda service manual---
Adjust when engine is cold (below 95 deg.)
Remove the fuel tank and heat protector-timing hole cap and crankshaft hole cap-valve adjusting hole caps.

Rotate the crankshaft ONLY counterclockwise to align the T mark on the flywheel to the index notch in the left crankcase cover.
Make sure the piston is TDC (top dead center) on the compression stroke.
This position can be obtained by conferming that there is slack in the sub-rocker arm. If there is no slack, it is because the piston is moving through the exhaust stroke to TDC. Rotate the crankshaft one full turn counterclockwise and match up the T mark again.

CAUTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the T mark is passed when trying to align it with the index notch, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise again and align the T mark with the index notch. This must be done to prevent the one-way decompressor system from functioning and to obtain the correct valve clearance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check the clearance of all valves by inserting a feeler gauge between the adjusting screw and sub-rocker arm.

NOTE
Slide the feeler gauge from the inside to the outside of the valve cap hole.

Valve Clearances:
Intake------ .004 in.
Exhaust---- .005 in.

Adjust by loosening the lock nut and turning the adjusting screw until there is a slight drag on the feeler gauge.

Hold the adjusting screw and tighten the locknut.
After tightening the locknut, recheck the valve clearance.

Put dab of grease or oil on the O-rings and put it all back together!:p

PS--- Pg. 3-7, 3-8 HONDA TRX400EX SERVICE MANUAL