PDA

View Full Version : Help with Utility Quad Suggestions

watson524
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help provide some guidance and I'll try to keep this short. I realize this is a Polaris forum so I'll likely get Polaris answers but here's my dilema.

I have an 87 Honda 200SX Fourtrax in very good condition that I have ridden since I was 11 (new) and have used in recent years to putter around 100 acres we live on and also have pulled a Swisher 60" town behind mower. Due to circumstances and the need to more utility work around the place, plus my husband and I are thinking we might like to take the machine somewhere and ride trails, we are thinking of upgrading (much as it kills me to get rid of the old machine).

Since I've had Honda my whole life, we started out saying "we want a Honda". Went and looked at the dealer this weekend and I was ok with what I saw, but not thrilled per say. Went down the road and stopped at a Polaris dealer on a whim. Saw the X2 and we THINK this is the machine for us. I love the built in dump body (good for carrying stone and wood chips around, etc. etc) and the 2-up seat (albeit not as cushy as the touring) seemed great too. We'll be doing things like hauling out trees, possibly towing a trailer around with rocks, logs etc on it, using a garden roller and aerator, etc.

Questions:
1.) Does any other company make something that can deal with 2 full size adults and also have utility like this?
2.) If it's the Polaris X2, would you go with the 500 or the 700. Since I'm going from a 200, 500 seems like plenty, but they seem pretty close in price ($200 - though one dealer seems to be getting a dealer rebate on the 500 that he's passing through to us for a total difference of about $1k) so I'm wondering if more power is better. Is a 700 too much for trail riding or is a 500 enough for two full sized (200lbs and 160lbs) to be on together?

I'm hoping to get it narrowed down soon. Had some concerns about not having foot shift (heck, not having shift at all since I never thought they shifted when they should but that's apparently all been worked out since I was on a no shift of a friend), and EFI vs Carb sketched me out a bit but like my husband said "move on and get with recent times!"

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.