PDA

View Full Version : new plans...

gclax1336
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok so I have a couple hundred dollars to throw around for my ltz400. I realy would like to get the most bang for my buck. I already have all the exsternal stuff (including jetted carb, alba pipe and k&n). So I realy would like to go with some engine work maybe a bore or maybe even just hot cams and a high compression. Or better yet a kehein or elderbrock carb. But i can only aford one or the other. Please help me out and share what you know thanks.

cataway
04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
i would lean toward a piston with higher compression ,chances are you rings are getting worn and your going to need to get in there any way, cams are easy to put in but your also going to need a shim kit. by the time you get a piston, gaskets and a shim kit you'll of spent a couple hundred dollars . watch ebay you may get a steal on the other things you want.

dpizz450
04-14-2008, 01:46 AM
my personal opinion is wait and save up a good bit little more money and start workin on ur suspension. save up for a nice pair of front shocks. i was gonna get some hot cams for my z and got a pair of front works shocks instead and couldnt be any happier with my decision. u can only go as fast as ur suspension will let u. good luck. let us kno what u do

gclax1336
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a suspension I am happy with... Im just lookin for some more power with out going to a 450

theupsmanhatesm
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Well, I think YZ rider has hit the nail right on the head. The suspension was the last thing i did to my first quad, and it was the biggest improvement I'd ever made. By the time I bought my second (Ironically a LTZ-400) I didn't even ride the thing for almost a month, becuase I was working so much to pay off a suspension for it. Once you get a REAL set of shocks (and i don't mean adjust your stock pair) then you will never want to ride without it again. Now I'm sitting on Fullflight +3+1 and Full Works front suspension on my racer, and I'll never go back.

BUT!

Since you said you were happy with your suspension... Let me ask you this, What size are your sprockets? Stock is 14-40 and the biggest improvement I've ever made (for under $10) was a 13 tooth front sprocket. On the Z's for some reason they put too big a sprocket on the front, and you can tell when you really hammer into second gear and you get the moment of lag where I always thought to myself "come ON you stupid thing GO!". before it hooks up again in its best RPM range. Go down to 13 tooth and you'll notice instantly that you take off the line way quicker and that second gear lag is eliminated. Not to mention when railing a stock Z around the burm, you HAVE to keep it in high RPM or else you will face that dreaded lag and have to loose time, a 13 tooth sprocket solves that problem too. Price: $4

AND!

If your looking to do big things with this little Z of yours, I recommened you go out with the 2-3 hundred you have, and get the new High Comp. Piston (I agree, you will need to replace the thing soon anyways) and I'd pair up a cheap Rev. Box. with that, to get the most out of your money. (Piston $159, Rev box $129 on Motosport.com , but check out Ebay for deals)

gclax1336
04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Guys when I said I got everything like that I meant it... I have a 13 tooth I have a rev box I also am on fulflights.... and g force. And I have more then 300 hundred. Can some one please step up and tell out of the three options I gave will give me the best results. thanks

TheNewn
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
If you have the ergo's and suspension already worked on and done. Then i'd just look at cams. remember to get a DID cam chain while you're in there.