PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Hard 2 Start

CFM Performance
11-25-2002, 07:11 AM
My friend has a bone stock '98 300EX with very low hours and bought it new so it's not abused. Trouble is that most of the time he has to use starting fluid to get her running if the motors not warm. After it starts, he has to let it warm up for 10 minutes before he can even ride it, even in the summer time. Once the motors warm, it'll start and run all day with no trouble. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? I'll have his quad here on Thursday, so I'll try any good ideas you guys can give me. Thanks.

YZROOSTINYA
11-25-2002, 07:54 AM
i would try a new spark plug, check the wires and make sure all the connections are good. bad cdi? carb could be dirty . is the carb attached to the intake properly. intake boot cracked?

jerry-89-250R
11-25-2002, 08:04 AM
check the valves also

YZROOSTINYA
11-25-2002, 08:11 AM
that is correct also, the intake or exhaust could be too tight causing you to loose compression becasue they are not closing all the way. could be carbs too sinc it is taking so long to heat up and when its hot the motor has already transferred heat to the carb so the fuel is being atomized better due to the heat?

if the valves are too loose when the motor gets warm and expansion occurs in brings the valvetrain into a operational range when hot butnot when cold.

check the pilot jet and airscrew on the carb along with needle position.

CFM Performance
11-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check those things out this weekend and see what I find out. Didn't know if it was a common prob on the 300EX's so I thought I'd ask for some advise.

phatswinn
11-25-2002, 06:08 PM
just change the spark plug, pump the throttle 4 or 5 times and start it witht he choke on and ull be fine, hondas are cold blooded

pane2k
12-09-2002, 08:52 PM
hey id say the same thing just change the spark plug i was having the same problem with mine and got paranoid. I always had trouble starting it, and was scared to pump the gas cuz i thought i was gonna flood it, but just pump that 300 about 5 6 times and try then..should fire right up

2k2-300exnj
12-09-2002, 09:26 PM
yea mine is the same way i never had to use starter fluid or anyhthing though they are cold blooded just pump it 5 or 6 times like they said with choke on and crank it if it fires and stall punp it another 2 or 3 and do it again once it starts keep it running it will take about 5 minutes to warm up turn the choke off around 2 minutes after it is running

300exjuggalo
12-10-2002, 08:06 AM
there right but also try charging ur battry it might sound stupid but i heard it in dirtwheels same problem, arnt i a smart one:huh