PDA

View Full Version : getting an '84 tecate-3

EricB
11-25-2002, 02:11 AM
pretty stoked about this, runs way strong! it didn't start on the first kick or anything, but it was also 36 degrees outside and it wasn't warm. but once it got started it spun the tires through 5th gear on the pavement. man, the guy who i'm getting it from flew off it into a tree and almost broke his collar bone. then today he looped it out or something and got some road rash. basicly he though it was cool to get piss drunk and ride it, thats pretty much dumb espcialy when you can't ride in the first place. anyhow, he's selling it for 500 dollars. the rear grab bar is broken on one side. the seat isn't bolted downm and there is no headlight. also needs new rear brake pads. other than that it runs better than it did when it was first purchased in 84. my brother told me that this guy was selling this, of course after we started drinking. so i didn't ride it tonight since i was in no frame of mind to be driving/riding anything. but a couple of my friends know this bike and say its way tight mechanicly. plastics are messed up and the bars need to be adjusted. but i'm going to strip it down to the frame and totaly restore it. this bike pretty much rules, now i know why all the tecate lovers love them so much.

but it's a hard descision, i don't really like 3 wheelers that much. i'm considering either making it really nice and seeing if i like it. or selling it after restoration. either that or junking most of it and putting it in some kinda quad frame. this should work right? counterbalanced and all? already have the radiator, got the ignition stuff. thats all you need right? obvious stuff like mounts and things but anything major?

"BLAHH"300!!
11-25-2002, 03:44 AM
don't trash it man. buy it, restore it to new condition and either sale it to someone who like's trike's, or build a room onto your house to keep it in. those bike's are wicked fast, and are deffinatly worth looking into. especially if it's a strong runner with mainly cosmetic flaws. for $500.00 you can't go wrong. the resale on these aren't very high because.........
1) it's a trike--------out of style-can't race em'
2) it's a tecate------hard to find parts
3) it's a kawisaki---need i say more-(sorry kawi owner's but it's the truth)
but if you do sale it, you should get enugh to buy another motor for your 400ex. a.k.a. yz450/cr450F or...
prolly enugh to buy a run down (not too beat up) 250R..then restore that and bamm...there's your bike...
if you like the power of the tecate-3 then go check out a nice strong tecate-4...
i'd take a like new, strong running, tecate-4 over all the quads on the market today....
to me, it's next in line to the bone stock 88'-89' 250R's....
the price of a "mint" tecate-4 would be concidered cheep compared to the price of a "mint" 250r
if you did any motor swaping, i'd say buy a tecate-4 and slide the "3's" motor in it..then sale the '3' in parts over e-bay... don't junk any of it.

lets see some pics.

EricB
11-25-2002, 11:14 AM
yeah lastnight when my brother told me i almost messed my self hehe. i want a 2 stroke really bad, i didn't care if it was an ATC or a dirtbike. i knew it wasn't going to be a quad cos i wanted something cheap. but yeah, the guys selling it so cheap cos he's scared of it. he should be too! he's like 6'1" 125lbs max hehe. that thing would ride him all day long! i don't have 500 dollars right now but my buddy is going in halvzies or loaning me some money. yeah i don't really want to tear it apart since they're so hard to find. i think i just wanna restore it and see if i wanna keep it or not. i think it would be an awsome sand bike, to fast for trails probably. but at least i found my project bike! now all i have to do is convince my dad to let me store another atv at his house. hopefully he doesn't care.

trailburner
11-26-2002, 01:14 PM
My good friend has a tecate 250atc that I ride with. He won't mess around with me on the trails BUT...... when we get on a straight stretch he'll pull up next to me & point his finger down the trail ..... and that thing is gone!!!! It's FAST! Kinda embarassing seeing as I have over $4000 in mine & its a 2000 model. We also went to grass drags & that 84 tecate WON 250 stock class!! I had to drive it because my friend was too afraid of it.
The hardest part about dragging that machine is keeping the front end on the ground. If you want a really fast machine, I would recommend keeping it. The only downfall that the machine has is that it is too fast and tippy for trails. If you decide to keep it, hang on and have fun.

Tecate250
11-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Well there little buddy.
Id say keep it.
I have 3 tecates 84 an 85 and a 88 tecate 4.
And to drive the t4 (my first 2 stroke and my first race bike) was scarry.
Then I got my 84 tecate. And boy was I scared $hitless. The power band of those blows the t4 out of the water. Hey if you dont want it ill buy it.