PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r carb adjustment

atb7346
04-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I just recently re-jetted my carb to a 165 main jet. The low-end lean problem I was having is all but fixed. I am left wanting in the top-end. What other thing am I missing in the carb? I have heard to lower the clip on the needle. Also heard cam replacement might be in order. I am planning on running with the airbox lid off and upgrading the pipe. My stock pipe was gutted by the previous owner.

Thanks

xtremexcrider2
04-13-2008, 09:23 AM
your jet kit should have came with a new needle it should be on the fourth notch, i just jetted an 06 for my friend brandon, you dont have enough mods to be running with out an airbox lid that will hurt your performance more than it will help it.

atb7346
04-14-2008, 02:56 AM
What if I am using my factory jet? And is it fourth clip from the top or bottom? What jet do you think I should run with my airbox lid off?

roundsy
04-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Leave your 165 main jet in, ditch the lid, install a #55 leak jet, and if i remember correctly, its the 4th clip from the bottom. Since your wanting more top end i suggest the HRC cam or stg 2 Hotcam, i'd throw an aftermarket exhaust on for better performance with the cam such as a DASA or Rossier exhaust. Should make it arm ripping...lol, hope this helps.

04'400ex'er
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by atb7346
I just recently re-jetted my carb to a 165 main jet. The low-end lean problem I was having is all but fixed. I am left wanting in the top-end. What other thing am I missing in the carb? I have heard to lower the clip on the needle. Also heard cam replacement might be in order. I am planning on running with the airbox lid off and upgrading the pipe. My stock pipe was gutted by the previous owner.

Thanks
If you were having problems with it running lean at low RPM's, then your main jet is not what you need to adjust. That would be the needle, pilot, and leak jet. You could possibly bump one size on the main if you have a gutted pipe and have removed the lid, but nothing more. Do the same for the pilot and your mixture should be fine. I don't think you would have to move the stock needle any for the mods you have.

d3ktrix
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by xtremexcrider2
your jet kit should have came with a new needle it should be on the fourth notch, i just jetted an 06 for my friend brandon, you dont have enough mods to be running with out an airbox lid that will hurt your performance more than it will help it.

Removing the lid/baffle on a bone stock bike is one of the best thing you can do.
You don't need to any other mods, it will not hurt anything as long as you rejet properly.
Your just un-restricting the air flow to engine, which is always good no matter what your mods are.

Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
You could possibly bump one size on the main if you have a gutted pipe and have removed the lid, but nothing more.

If you remove the air box lid/baffle, even if your running the stock exhaust you will have to increase the main jet size by far more then 1 size.

By the sound of it, the 165MJ he's running should be fine.

Thanks

What pilot and leak jet sizes are you running?

atb7346
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Where exactly is the leak jet located on the carb. I have never heard of that jet. I can't find it in my manual.

roundsy
04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Where exactly is the leak jet located on the carb. I have never heard of that jet. I can't find it in my manual.

if you pull the float bowl off the carb, on the bottom piece there is a jet, it is also known as a "slow" jet, it's pretty tiny.

d3ktrix
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Its a very small jet screwed into the bottom of the float bowel. Its on the inside of the float bowel, so u have to remove the float bowel to get to it.

In the manual I think its called "accelerator by pass jet" also "Starter Jet"
Stock is like a #75.
You want to install a #55 or something close.

Also what size is ur pilot(slow jet)?

atb7346
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Should be stock. Everything in the carb should be stock except for the 165 main I installed. Where can I purchase this leak jet. I went to my local mechanic shop and he had never heard of it.

roundsy
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Should be stock. Everything in the carb should be stock except for the 165 main I installed. Where can I purchase this leak jet. I went to my local mechanic shop and he had never heard of it.

I ordered mine through honda, here is the part # 99108-MEB-0550

d3ktrix
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM

Then get a 45 pilot also.
The 42 pilot is most likely the main cause for the lean bog when u stab the gas off idle. (If thats what ur getting)
And the leak jet will help it even more.

So in the end this is what u want to be runing

165MJ that u already have
45 Pilot (slow jet)
#55 Leak jet (Starter jet) 99108-MEB-0550

And if u really want to do it right, get an HRC needle. Not really needed but will probably help mid range power a little.

atb7346
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
If I keep the factory needle, what level should the clip be on from the bottom?