PDA

View Full Version : We need a Solution

b4wheeler
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
O.K. We need a solution to this problem....

I know there are a whole lot of 400's out there racing and we need some of the parts that the 450r crowd enjoy.
I am talking about a real rear sprocket and disc guard.
How hard would it be for GT Thunder or some other manufacturer to make a sprocket guard for the 400's just like the 450r's?? Not hard at all...... Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same??

I had a horrible time at my first GNCC with my rear skid acting more like a brake than a skid plate. It was dragging on all the centers of the ruts, leaving me high centered. I spent a lot of time watching the other racers fly by, using their sprocket and disc guard with no skid plate.

We need to speak out and get a good product made for our crowd....:D

Just thinking out loud. Thank you for reading.

the Z Man
04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
The bolt pattern is the same..

b4wheeler
04-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Then answer me this......

Why are they not marketed for the 400ex also....?????Why only for the 450r??????

Seems a simple marketing idea to increase sales...

Chillyboarder
04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know anything about this, but he said the bolt pattern is the same, which should mean they'd fit on the 400's.

Why buy a 400 when you can buy a 450. Exactly, and if the bolts match up then whats the problem.

We are not Honda or Yamaha, write them a letter.

b4wheeler
04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Why buy a 400ex???
Because it is my first quad, it was in expensive and it is more than enough for me, and I don't need to spend $6k on a bike when I can get one for $1500.

Just asking why they dont market the part for the 400 also. It would open up a huge market and make them more money in the long run, with just the addition of a few words on their website.

CSR400EX
04-12-2008, 09:44 PM
have you tried just running the stock skid plate?? i had a cheap DG (dollar general lol) rear skid and i got stuck everywhere. i sold it and put a stocker back on. but the stocker eventually started falling off and i just ripped it off last time i went riding lol

b4wheeler
04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I would run my stocker, but it is beat and the rotor and sprocket rub.
I was looking for a long-term solution as opposed to replacing the stocker with a new one and then replacing it again next year and the year after that and so on........

the Z Man
04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
You can pick up brand new take off skids for 10 or 15 bucks, thats what I did til I could afford what I wanted, I even got my friends doing that...lol

Iliketogofast
04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Chillyboarder
I don't know anything about this, but he said the bolt pattern is the same, which should mean they'd fit on the 400's.

Why buy a 400 when you can buy a 450. Exactly, and if the bolts match up then whats the problem.

That's a little out of line man. You don't have to be aggressive.

Some people have 400EX's, it's what their parents bought them or they have had them since before the 450s came out or for whatever reason, some people have them. A lot of people must have them because they still sell like fricken hotcakes as far as I know.

Chillyboarder
04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Ugh yes I know...I have a 400EX lol. But if the patterns match whats the problem, yeah I suppose it might open the sales up more if they advertised the same thing for 400's. But that's a question for them obviously.

dpizz450
04-14-2008, 09:22 AM

for one, some might not want a 450 and just want a decent trail bike such as a 400 such as myself. and dont need all the power a 450 gives out. not to mention the money. thats like sayin why buy a 450 when you can buy a 660 or 700?

second, keep your little ten year old wise arse comments to yourself, we may not be yamaha or honda, but this is a board for yamaha and honda people to come to when they need help or have any questions. did you ever think of that? thats probably the 2nd stupidest mistake you made.

dpizz450
04-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Ugh yes I know...I have a 400EX lol. But if the patterns match whats the problem, yeah I suppose it might open the sales up more if they advertised the same thing for 400's. But that's a question for them obviously.

the problem is, we didnt know the bolt patterns matched up, and this is why this thread was posted. now obviously we do know that and are just having a discussion about it, is that okay with you? you need to think before you post and use a little common sense dude.

Chillyboarder
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
YZrida I'm not being aggressive in any way.

Sure a 450 is smaller then a 700 and such, but they are different classes, as the 400's usually ride with the 450's.

Why are you insulting? I am not 10 no but the way your insulting sounds immature.

Jee I thought I was using common sense at the time, sorry if it wasn't to your liking. But you also should take the advice.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone or have been rude in any way...

BigBore24
04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
i thought it was rude myself but i respect you for apologizing. as for the marketing question, that is rather bizarre when you consider that 400exs are probably one of the most common quads out there. most people arent gonna buy something for a 450r and just hope it bolts up right.

dpizz450
04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
YZrida I'm not being aggressive in any way.

Sure a 450 is smaller then a 700 and such, but they are different classes, as the 400's usually ride with the 450's.

Why are you insulting? I am not 10 no but the way your insulting sounds immature.

Jee I thought I was using common sense at the time, sorry if it wasn't to your liking. But you also should take the advice.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone or have been rude in any way...

your calling me immature? right??! im not the one "we arent yamaha or honda" " go ask them" :rolleyes: thats probably the stupidest post ive ever read on this board. you come on here for a month and think you can just tell ppl what they can and cant ask.

Chillyboarder
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm realizing I was stupid to say that, and you were only pointing it out in the first place. But I do believe that asking a marketing question about Honda or such would be better off asked to them would it not, we can only discuss it, not answer it. Sorry, just been having a bad week.

JimmyHoffa
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/JimmyHoffa88/ruler.jpg

This is a picture of a ruler in its natural habitat. I purchased one yesterday, and now I can measure all sorts of things to see if they will fit where I want them to go! I will never go back to the arbitrary estimation method. I may even buy a tape measure next weekend. I would definitely consider going to your local dealership to see if they sell them.

TheNewn
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
People are so easily offended by everything... Pretty sure they're going to need to pass a law about "Proper Internet Educate" Or else people are going to be offended!

Politically correct? anyone?

b4wheeler
04-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm realizing I was stupid to say that, and you were only pointing it out in the first place. But I do believe that asking a marketing question about Honda or such would be better off asked to them would it not, we can only discuss it, not answer it. Sorry, just been having a bad week.

That is the whole point of open forums.... To discuss things......

And if you read the post again, you will realize that the marketing question is not asked of Honda, it is asked of one of the major vendors and supporters of the ATV racing aftermarket....

Try getting your facts straight before you post.....

JimmyHoffa
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Two topics to cover here:

1.) Apparently a key line was missed by most of us... "Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same." I cannot count the times I have done my own research to avoid taking up forum space with pointless threads. YES, THE FREAKING BOLT PATTERN IS THE SAME! GO BUY A SPROCKET GUARD!! The rotor guard will not bolt up, because the swingarm bolt pattern is different. From the looks of it, only light fabrication would be required for a clean bolt-up. (Gaining that knowledge just now took less than 5 minutes.) There's the answer.

2.) There's a reason that parts aren't made for 400cc and below bikes, and I believe that reason is quite valid. The 400ex contains large amounts of dated technology that many people, including me, would consider a waste of time to (attempt to) improve. Why buy a 400 and spend hours and dollars trying to make it competitive with a stock 450, when you can just go buy a 450! They're not mythological creatures. They sell them at dealerships.

When I bought my 400ex, I took it to my local ride spot to try it out. The first thing I noticed was that the suspension was unforgiving, and it was slow. I was immediately dissatisfied. I could clear less than one-half of the jumps. Now, I was faced with a choice: spend 1000-2000 dollars getting the suspension and engine up to snuff, or sell the 400 and spend 1000 overhead to get a fresh as heck 450 with liquid cooling, 25lbs. off of the dry weight of a 400ex, no ridiculous 8-rocker head, a more race-oriented design in general, and loads of aftermarket options I couldn't even dream of with the 400. If there is a whole class of machines technologically superior to 400's, why would the average aftermarket company bother catering to a dated and less popular market that will probably become less and less popular as time goes on?

TheNewn
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Hah, mythological creatures, freaking hilarious.

bradley300
04-18-2008, 06:44 PM
just about anything you can get for a 450, you can get for a 400ex. they have been out way longer, and before they 450's came out the aftermarket came up witha ton of stuff for 400ex's. alot of times you just have to ask about 400ex stuff, the 450 stuff sells better so thats what is advertised in the mags, but 9 times out of 10 if you call and ask, they have the same product for a 400ex

TheNewn
04-19-2008, 01:12 AM
If you look around, you'll find that there are a *lot* of things that the 450R has available that the 400EX does not. To go further, the 450R products are still in development and people are producing new ones, and the 400EX is kinda like the red headed step child now.

fmftrx300ex
05-03-2008, 07:18 AM
whine whine whine, seems to be all alot of people on this fourm like to do who cares what cc ur quad is or y you have what u have, we all love to ride. it taks a 14 year old to realize this? i have to say thanks to all the people on these forms tht try to help and dont argue about stupid stuff.. the ruler coment is funny tho i must say.. umm ta of the patterns are the same give it a try and i think tht dont advertise them for the 400ex because, who really likes buying parts tht will fit 15 diff quads? it makes u feel as if they wolnt fit perfect. also u wanna complain bout not enough parts for the 400ex try having a 300 ex!....

MTDman11
05-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by JimmyHoffa
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/JimmyHoffa88/ruler.jpg

This is a picture of a ruler in its natural habitat. I purchased one yesterday, and now I can measure all sorts of things to see if they will fit where I want them to go! I will never go back to the arbitrary estimation method. I may even buy a tape measure next weekend. I would definitely consider going to your local dealership to see if they sell them.

lmfao! natural habitat.