PDA

View Full Version : dropped bolt into motor

not2hi
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I managed to drop a valve cover bolt into the timing chain slot on our 300ex...the more I attempt to fish it out, the farther it drops...

so is it better to:

a. remove the crankcase cover on that side? the only thing I'd need to replace is the cover gasket?

b. remove the cylinder block? (the head is already off) If I remove the cylinder block, do I need new rings and to hone the cylinder wall at reassembly?

the Z Man
04-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Might b able to lift the cylinder enough to get the bolt without removing the piston. Get one of the long grabber thingys or magnets.

pro-rider46
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
my friend did this on his 400, he went out and bought a long magnet, so he stuck it down there and got it out.

below100hz
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
you should be able to get it out pretty easy by just taking the side cover off

AutoRoc
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Flip the bike over and use a long gravity wrench.

John451
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'd say you should try a magnet for starters... Get a piece of metal or cardboard and when you start to lift the cylinder off, slip it in so it wont go into the crankcase. You won't need to get it honed just from taking the cylinder off, it's mainly if you're getting a new ring or piston. So you can keep all of your stuff the same but just slide it off. But defiantly try to use a magnet or grabber first. If it does fall into the crank take it out and flip it upside down and shake it til it falls out because you dont wanna be losing a magnet down there because it can interfere with the magneto and timing.