PDA

View Full Version : help me out here!

hondaracer263
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a 2005 yfz and it has a stock pipe and stock motor i just have a curtis sparks supercharger airfilter on it and when i hit the throttle i have it about till half throttle and then it breaks up in the topend in every gear

the Z Man
04-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Sounds like jetting or crap in your carb.

Honda_Matt
04-14-2008, 06:36 AM
I agree.

Pull the spark plug, clean it or replace it then get the carb off the motor, clean it really well and check your jet sizes, post em up along with your mods and someone will give you an idea of your ideal jetting sizes.

Knoxy
04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
definately agree as well.
if its your top end that is breaking up then you should change your main jet! check in the articles section for more jetting info.

also what color is your spark plug? pull it out.. it should be a medium to dark brown.. if not your running to lean in the motor!

good luck!

hondaracer263
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
i am running a 158 main jet and i am in northwestern pennsylvania i think i need to go leaner because it is getting to much fuel on the topend but i am not sure

Knoxy
04-14-2008, 07:15 PM
well it depends...if your getting a popping sound like its skipping... then you are too lean...if it bogs then you are too rich.... check your plugs it will tell you for sure!

run it hard for like ten minutes at or close to the speed where it skips and then bring er right back home and pull it apart and take a look at that plug! (some assembly required... lol!)

hondaracer263
04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
yah my plug is black so i'm pretty sure that it needs to be leaner

Honda_Matt
04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Yup, black plug = too rich.

Bogging on the top end, drop the main jet.

Knoxy
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
maybe... is it a glossy black?
or is it a burnt black?

if its glossy. change the plug... you are running a little too rich but its good for the motor anyways.... the glossy black is from too much choking of the motor or to much ideling around on it... it needs to be high RPMS most of the time to burn that off!

if it is a burnt/dry black then you are just to rich all the way around... change the plug and the jets and your problems will most likely hit the road!

keep me posted i would like to know how this turns out for you!

i ran into the same problem about 6 months ago... worked out good for me..

i have always been a fan of running a little rich on the motors, because it wont really hurt it.... running lean on the other hand.... BAD NEWS BEARS!

good luck!