PDA

View Full Version : dynoed my ds450

ScottB125
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Finally got my DS on the dyno. This is a dynojet for cars. Baseline was 32hp/49 base. We did a back up run.....same results. Took the seat off and it pick 33hp/50torque. We then adjusted the tb and it picked up to 36/52.

Took the airfilter off and it didn't gain anything.

We've got the tb off and are porting it now. Will post if it lost or gained.

Scott

I'll post some pics in a few days. I took a few picks of the head...definate power to be had there.

ScottB125
04-11-2008, 10:03 PM
ok, we ported the tb and did a run with the motor cool.......

39hp and 60 torque. This was with the seat off. I about fell over.

To confirm we did a back up run....37hp and 56 torque.

IMO, porting the TB adds some serious hp:)

We'll get some numbers with the seat on later

GE4x4
04-12-2008, 05:51 AM
I don't know, but I can not see any 450 putting out 60lbs of torque. That's allmost double what other 450's are and the DS from what I have read did not sound like a torque monster.

witech
04-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Its a car dyno so the numbers will be most likely be flawed. It should be usefull for tuning purposes though.

ScottB125
04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I was mainly looked for gains from the baseline.

At the end, we put the seat back on and it made 36/52. As its been said, these motors want ALOT of air. I want to cut up the air box, but am worried about water getting in it.

What is cool, these are mods anyone can do.

I have a few other tricks we use on LS1s that I want to try.

BTW, my baseline mods were:

Rossier filter
pink wire cut
baffle out of stock muffler

In a week or two, I'm going to order a Motorworks exhaust and programmer, then put an A/F meter on it and see what it does.

T-BONE#29
04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
THAT HP READING SUCKS THE ****:eek2:

Vade
04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Those # are way off 41 hp/35tq is a more realstic number which is still high for what you have in it

ds450
04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
ScottB125, how much did you port the tb? Or did you just smooth it out?

I dynoed mine with the baffle out, lid off, motoworks air filter, and pink wire cut and I got 36.5hp and i think 32 ft lbs of torque. And I removed the seat and it helped. Then I installed a rossier exhaust and didnt dyno it yet but it runs way too rich with the pink wire cut so im hooking it back up and getting a power commander. I cut 1" off the sides and back of the air box and it helped.

keglassg
04-14-2008, 09:47 AM
those high number dont suprise me, especially the fact that it has almost twice the torque of the other 450s because the yamaha specifically doesnt make hardly any torque until it hits the high rpm range, its like the old 2-strokes almost, where as the DS makes consistant torque in all the rpm ranges. these numbers may be a little high, but i doubt it.

ScottB125
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
When you pull the TB off, you will see it has an edge by the throttle blade. Grind that down and blend it in. We used a sand roll on the rest of it, mainly just smoothing it. We narrowed the throttle shaft too. Also check that your throttle blade is opening 90*. That helped out quite a bit too.

Important...do not cut into where the throttle blade seals. You can port right up to that.

After we did this, mine idled a little high, so we had to pull the TB back off and adjust the idle screw.

After it was said and done, the motor is alot more responsive.

I was reading in another post about a 50mm tb avail. I would like to try one of those or get a new butterfly and port my stock one out larger.

Vade
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by keglassg
those high number dont suprise me, especially the fact that it has almost twice the torque of the other 450s because the yamaha specifically doesnt make hardly any torque :huh

ds450
04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Ill be doing that this weekend! And ill let you know if it helped. If I had a straight axle I would just throw it on the dyno at work but I bent mine...

keglassg
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Vade, you misreperesented what i stated buddy, i said it doesnt make much torque until it hits the high rpm range, i didnt say it was under powered or mean anything derogitive by the statement. it was simply a observation i have made during my hours on a yfz450.

witech
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by keglassg
Vade, you misreperesented what i stated buddy, i said it doesnt make much torque until it hits the high rpm range, i didnt say it was under powered or mean anything derogitive by the statement. it was simply a observation i have made during my hours on a yfz450.

Here is a comparison of 3 of our Jap quads . Red honda 450r,blue yfz 450,yellow ltr450r. Same dyno . All stock 2006 models with the pea shooters out of the exhaust.
The yfz clearly makes more torque than any of the others down low and is similar on top end.

keglassg
04-15-2008, 05:01 PM
the numbers dont lie. fair enough, it just doesnt feel like it has torque until the high range, the honda felt the same way to me, thats why i like the the DS, if felt consistantly torquey. thats all im saying, its just a simple observation from riding thats all. i had no intentions of offending anyone. and thank you for the dyno sheet, i appreciate the info.

witech
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Its the efi that does the trick .

Vade
04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
No im talkin about the "twice as much torque as any other 450s" claim u just said

witech
04-15-2008, 06:48 PM
27 to 36 is about the average for the 450 engines. With nitrous or turbos you can get into the 40's . That dyno he is using is not made to acurately run small engines. Ive used mustangs before and they gave similar results.

keglassg
04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
hey witech, have you got dyno results for a bigbore warrior perhaps, i'd like to do the hot rods hot cams 396 kit, but i dont know if it would really be any better than what im running right now. if not, thats ok, but i dont even know where to look to try to find the power specs for that kit.

witech
04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry no charts for wariors. Just yfz,raptors and banshees. As far as the warrior I dont think they will have very impressive hp numbers as it has a 2 valve head.
On the ds450 I think you guys will find like we did with the Cannondales that the engine will thirst for air. Huge throttle bodies and massive porting will open the door to some great engine power. The efi can be tuned to compensate for flow loss on the bottom end.
Its one impressive quad .

RATPACK Z400
04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
The hp #s on the 450s are like 10 hps off on stock #s the yamaha and suzuki are like 3hps higher than the honda But the honda puts out more torque stock.

fanatic05
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
hey ds450 have u ran ur bike yet with the pipe ? im still waiting to hear if u can tell the difference. i have the same setup and it didnt give me ne more top end. now i just put the 3rd tank in the bike so its not broken in yet and im still running the break in oil. if ya noticed a big difference id like to know. and if ne onw else has the rossier pipe and motoworks filter tell me if u have gotten a major increase in the power. i know that i have more torque now and faster accelliration but no more top end.

ds450
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I havent got the money together yet to buy a new axle yet so I havent dynoed it yet. I think im hooking the pink wire back up because mine is running so rich and making it have no top end. Mine puts out alot of black smoke when you hit the throttle fast.

fanatic05
04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
when u got ur exhaust from rossier did it have instructions telling u to cut the wire ? cause i did and its a bit harder to start with the pipe on it. i cut the wire befor i put the pipe on it and it doesnt seem to be running faster. i know i have some more low end and mid. just hope when i finish burning this 3rd tank of gas and change the thick break in oil it will pick up some speed.

witech
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Break in is done halfway through the first tank on those. Get it changed. What do they use to reprogram the maps on the Can ams.Power commander or a factory software setup?

fanatic05
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
according to the book it takes 3 tanks. i only have half a tank left on the last one so im not worried about that. but as for the programming they dont have a power commander out yet but ill be getting one when they come out so i can hit hte dyno and get it tuned exactly the way it needs to be.

ds450
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
The rossier exhaust comes with instructions on how to cut the wire but im gonna hook mine back up because it makes my quad run like ****. My quad is running so rich with the exhaust and air box lid off and the air box cut.

When the power commander comes out, thats what you need to change the mapping.

ScottB125
04-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Why are people waiting on the power commander? FMF and Motorworks have a programmer...is the dynojet that much better?

Which allows the user to make the most changes?

ds450
04-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Power commander allows you to make the most changes and if you have access to a dynojet dyno you can tune the ds450 to get the most power out of it with the power commander.