PDA

View Full Version : burning oil?

DementeD
04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
i just changed my oil like last week i believe..

i drive the bike around the neighborhood quite a bit but ive only went through like maybe two tanks..

well i started the bike up today just to rev it a bit before i had to leave...noticed it was smokin which from most vids i see is normal upon start up...well after a min it was smokin a lot..i shut it off instantly and checked oil..it was super low..well i just got home tonight added probably .5-.75 qt and its back to "upper" and i couldnt rev much since its 11pm where i live..but i didnt notice any smoke this time around

but just curious is this motor suppose to burn oil that much?? it was between lower n upper after the oil change but was definitely barely on lower maybe even below it when i checked today..

just want some feed back plz..thanks

BigBore24
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
could you tell what color the smoke was? blue is generally burning oil. sometimes you can smell it also. could be valve seals since you had just started it. if it continues once you ride it for a while most likely it is rings.

DementeD
04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
yea it was blue for sure and definitely could smell it

im going with seals as well..typically on cars thats what it is when it smokes when u first start it up..it was oil leakin past the seals and burns up when u first start the car

but is the amount mentioned not so much normal..but tolerable??

Honda#4
04-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Might be time to look into having a rebuild done soon

LT250RMan
04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes it sounds like it needs a rebuild. NO 4 STROKE ENGINE SHOULD BURN OIL.

DementeD
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
ah im not positive its time for a rebuild...i dont think the performance is down..ill do a comp test n see what it says..

ill ride it til it breaks or til i can feel a difference in power before i rebuild it..

cuz when i rebuild it i definitely want to do a good amount of work at that point..

LT250RMan
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
ah im not positive its time for a rebuild...i dont think the performance is down..ill do a comp test n see what it says..

ill ride it til it breaks or til i can feel a difference in power before i rebuild it..

cuz when i rebuild it i definitely want to do a good amount of work at that point..

Not all the time you loose engine performance when its time for a rebuild. When a 4 stroke burns oil that means that the valve seats or the rings are getting blow by causing oil to enter the combustion chamber. If you keep riding your quad untill it blows up you could cause way more damage to your engine than it already has.

DementeD
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
i believe itd be the valve seals...typically the oil burning off on startup is this cause and isnt a big issue as far as it causing more engine problems..

if its the rings then yes definitely time for a rebuild..but i honestly dont think it is..ill look more into it..thanks though

reconranger
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Valve guides are the first thing to go on this engine. Several of my freind's had oil burning issues, and all they needed to do is replace the guides. If that isn't it, check the compression and do a leak down test to see if it is rings.

DementeD
04-12-2008, 04:07 PM
will do..

i really need to get new exhaust gaskets and some clamps first..i wrapped my header today and grinded down the welds inside..

so i need to get new gaskets for that and clamps to hold the wrap on firmly..i have zip ties for now but obviously cant run it like that...

and since i noticed it smokin pretty badly i havent really had a chance to run the thing yet..so ill see as soon as i can ..thanks for the info guys

400EXdirtslngrr
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I had the same problem with mine. I took it in to have the valves checked and they were shot. Spend the hundred bucks get them replaced save you the worry.