PDA

View Full Version : Holz rear end help

440ex kid
04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok heres the deal. I bought this holz long travel setup used a while back. After making a new link to replace the smashed used parts, I have some good ride time on it now. The problem is the shock is so soft it scrapes the bottom of the quad on the ground on a takeoff ramp. Even the smallest jump results in a seriously jacked skid plate. I can jump on the grab bar and make the rear bottom out.

Now I have tried messing with the settings on the shock (its a dual rate axis with compression adjust by the way) I have the preload cranked up so high it is pretty much riding on the main spring. The shock itself is 15 3/4 inch long. I dont know if the shock is just garbage and needs reserviced, or if i should just get it rebuilt by some one like Gt Thunder, or maybe the shock is built for the stock link. Any help or advice on what I should do, and any measurements that I can take to see if my shock is built for this link and not a stock one would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have to much time and money into this thing to ditch it so I am open to ANY thing I can do. Thanks in advance

And just to give you an idea, this is how much preload I have in it now.

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/23685/2436945600073868557S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2436945600073868557DFYyHp)

the Z Man
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I had the same proble, though I race XC, any jumps would bottom out the bike. The fix was a heavier main spring, I would try that over valving first. look at the spring and check the numbers on your main spring, I went from a 280 to a 350, still a little soft but way better. you can also try a longer single rate spring.
If you have a stock rear, put that spring on and try it, they are a 300 lb. spring, that will give you an idea of where you want ot be.

Nick110
04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
This is the HOLZ LT rear set up correct? If so the shock seems a little short, my LT rear shock is around 18" long.

Ex_Rider43
04-11-2008, 06:11 PM
yeah , with a link/swingarm setup like the savior , outlaw and i bet the Holz too , the shock is near 18'' long. 15 3/4'' is for something like a GT thunder link .

IOWAracer
04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
is it real springy? it looks a little dirty around the thread for the preload and has some black spots on it maybe it did blow? it would be really noticable without the preload cranked down but im not sure best bet is to call holz and see what link they can for on the rear end:confused: Maybe it should just have a longer spring....

GTT links normally have the shock that short so its hard telling...to get a good test to see if its blown back the preload off and if you can bounce the rear end by pushing up and down on the grab bar you know what your problem is....

BB

440ex kid
04-11-2008, 07:29 PM
heavier main spring

I already have a plan to try this in the next few days. I have a buddy with a few springs and we are goin to swap them around.

the shock seems a little short

Thats what my first thought was when I measured it. that is the reason I think the shock is built for the stock link and should be longer. I am going to try and call holz directly to see what they recomend for the shock specs.

As far as the black spots, im pretty sure that is the grease i put on my chain flinging around. I will crank down the preload and see how it feel though just to see what its like.

quadracermx
04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
You can also call JH Racing because he runs all the Holz stuff and he would know what spring should be on it and how long it should be. Plus if it is wrong he can fix it for you. Give he a call at 1(918)371-0101.

JH Racing
04-12-2008, 02:49 PM
15 3/4 is the correct extended lenght is should have 4 1/2 shaft travel. We set all the rear shocks for Holz rear ends as single rate. You can give me a call Mon and I will help you out as much as I can with it.

440ex kid
04-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I will be calling you monday to check prices to redo this shock. Whatever it takes to make it work. Thanks a lot.

the Z Man
04-12-2008, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the Z Man
you can also try a longer single rate spring.
:D

tchonda426ex
04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds to me like you need a stiffer spring. When you set on your bike how much of the valve is showing to the bumper stop?

trx250r180
05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
http://www.holzracingproducts.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=21_28 here is holz honda parts,i run rear holz and is a single rate spring ,the dual may be the problem