PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain Replacement help

pro-rider46
04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
to replace the cam chain all i need to do is pull of the stator cover, and the stator itself, right? I wont need to split the cases will I?

the Z Man
04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
You do not have to split the cases, just the stator cover and flywheel will need to come off, and the valve cover of course.. be very careful reinstalling the flywheel, the pick-up on the stators are very delicate..:eek2:

desratt
04-11-2008, 07:11 PM
you need a flywheel puller and either a impact wrench or a flywheel holder. I always used flywheel holder until last time I just used a impact wrench much easier.

blacknblue#2
04-12-2008, 02:41 AM
No need to split the cases just the stator cover. You will need a flywheel puller they are like 19 bucks, Dont use the finger type flywheel puller like they sale at autozone they have been known to warp the flywheel. When you get your new chain ran back up through the jug and the head i usually zip tie it to the frame to make sure it dont loosen up on the bottom gear and possibly get in a bind cause you will have to have your botton end back together to get back in time. When you get everything back in time and lined up i highly recommend loc-tite on your cam sprocket bolts, i have had these back out. be sure your tensioner is drawn all the way in when you tighten it back up to the jug these will easily stretch a new chain if installed wrong......................just a couple little tricks i can think of off the top of my head....Just trying to save someone the headaches i had when learnin these engines the hard way haha

pro-rider46
04-12-2008, 05:09 PM
thanks everyone, i shouldnt have a ton of troble doing it. and the thing is in my bedroom, lol so it should be easy to get in there to replace it.

do you know where i can get a flywheel puller.

the Z Man
04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I got mine through Dennis Kirk, 28 bucks.

Rich250RRacer
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Make sure the puller you get comes with the threaded collar that goes on the crank. This protects the end of the crank, which is important because of the oil passage in the end of the crank. I got my puller from Trail Tech and it came with the collar, along with very clear directions not to pull the flywheel without the collar installed.

pro-rider46
04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
thanks