PDA

View Full Version : Needing some fast help with airbox lid question

QuadJunkies
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Ive got to get the honda a dif. lid ASAP !
We have the HRC and run with no lid ,but we are headed to possibly a wet,muddy WORCS race next week,so a lid will be required.I guess there is a cheaper one that has velcro or tape.. another is a full lid mod?
The stock lid runs horrible and was suggested an outerwear lid?
What about the Pro-Tec? It looks well constructed, but I know nothing about any outlids that are avail. because we have never needed one.
I need to order today if possible, no late than Mon.
Thanks for your help!:)

QuadJunkies
04-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh.. and its for an 06 model.
I tried motosport and RMATV, neither carry .

Scro
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I see alot of people running Outerwears lids on theirs, and they have no problems with mud/ water getting through the filter. They look to be constructed very well, and I've heard they were fairly cheap.

Personally, I have never ran a lid with any kind of filter made into it. The only thing I run is a UNI filter with an Outerwears. The Outerwears was designed to repeal water, so I just let it do it's job:p

I've been through some of the wettest, muddiest races with this setup and have never had an issue with water getting passed the filter. It was always bone dry on the inside, just as long as the filter was properly oiled.

You should be fine without a lid.

QuadJunkies
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Thats where I am confused.. :confused:
Is there an OUTERWEAR LID and a OUTERWEAR COVER that goes over the box?
Ive seen something with tape or velcro around the edge and then Ive seen a full lid mod.
Also, is ther any reason an 04 lid would not fit the 06? I keep getting told they dont make one for an 06 so Im way confused on this . lol
this will be a XC race and will most def. be wet and muddy .

don_carallo
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
'06 model air box is bigger than in the '04 model i think

300ex mxracer
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Some companys make a stock fitting lid with outerwear-like material for the center instead of plastic.

Then there is a peice of outerwears material that takes the place of the lid and uses velcro to attach to the box.

I made my own by cutting out the plastic center of the stock lid,then got some outerwears material and cut it to fit. then i got some aluminum and cut it to fit around the opening and bolted the lid and the aluminum together. it clamps the outerwears between the aluminum and the lid and holds it tight. works great

or u could just throw one of these over your filter
http://www.outerwearsracing.com/products.asp?cat=12551

QuadJunkies
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
WE dont use a K&N filter, its foam.
300ex mxracer- I think I seen a topic (might have been yours) making an lid-pretty neat! :)
Im just very pressed for time ,so I was wanting something quick.
A freind is going to loan a lid for the race wk end so I can have some time to figure this out for the future .
I wasnt aware of the box being bigger on the 06 model- I guess I learned something new today!

04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
the 04 05 lids will fior the 06 airbox...i use one of them for when i wash mine...with that being said, you could possible get an 05 hrc lid and run an outerwears...

i have cut my stock 06 lid to look like the 05 hrc lid and run the outerwears over it... have been through some pretty sloopy stuff and there is very little that got in...no more than when i was running my full stock lid...

of course, that will require a slight jetting change as you are letting less air in...

roundsy
04-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I was in the same boat as you QuadJunkies last summer. I bought the outerwears lid cover that uses velcro but I was always skeptical about the velcro coming off. I ended up cutting my lid down to everything but the rim and a 1/4" cross piece. It just clamps down over the outerwears using the stock hardware and i havent had a problem yet. I'd get ya a pic but I'm at school for another week.

I guess a crappy line drawing is all i can do...lol

x---------|--------x
|_______|______|

QuadJunkies
04-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by roundsy
I was in the same boat as you QuadJunkies last summer. I bought the outerwears lid cover that uses velcro but I was always skeptical about the velcro coming off. I ended up cutting my lid down to everything but the rim and a 1/4" cross piece. It just clamps down over the outerwears using the stock hardware and i havent had a problem yet. I'd get ya a pic but I'm at school for another week.

I guess a crappy line drawing is all i can do...lol

x---------|--------x
|_______|______|

LOL thats ,I appreciate the effort! :D
Id love to see a photo, when you have time ;)

I know right now if we run the stock lid, it wont even run with it on .:p
Def has to be rejetted .