PDA

View Full Version : Crank went through case... YZ450F Engine info???

Jekyl_22
11-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Ok, nothing like this has never happened to me. I have had my 400ex for about a year and a half. I ride at least a few hours about every other day year-around. But today when I was riding at a friends house, I jumped a step up and half of my quad made it, but the other half didn't. It didn't bottom out or anything, but when I landed, I heard a loud clanking noise and shut it off. Then I looked down by my engine to find my crank and a bearing sticking out of the front of my case. It has been bored out to 440cc and has a high compression piston. How much do you think this will cost to fix? It is far beyond welding the cases, how much are new ones? How much is a new crankshaft if one is needed?

I was also thinking that since it won't be fixed for at least 3 months, maybe I should save up and buy a whole new engine alltogether....maybe a YZ450F engine?!?! Does anybody know where you could buy a YZ450F engine or know how much it costs? Also, how much could I sell my 440ex engine w/ 11:1 compression if it was fixed and got new cases? Anyways, thanks for listening...and God Bless if you reply.

P.S. God Bless even if you don't...

TRX_Thumper
11-24-2002, 08:53 PM
sounds like maybe it threw the rod and at the same time crankshaft decided to follow...personally id junk the motor sell the good parts...go for another motor

Pappy
11-24-2002, 08:57 PM
yeah.....look on ebay and find a new motor...they are running around $1500 or so. sorry to hear of you misfortune:(

Jekyl_22
11-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanks. Does anybody know how much a YZ450F engine will cost? And also, how much does the crf450 engine cost?

Nausty
11-24-2002, 10:28 PM
well I know a guy under the name of varmit57 is selling his 416 motor for a good price. You might wanna do a search and find the thread in the for sale forum and maybe send him a pm or email him.

EDIT heres the thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28253

Pappy
11-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
Thanks. Does anybody know how much a YZ450F engine will cost? And also, how much does the crf450 engine cost?

new they will run near $3500. then ya have to get the frame modified etc...look to spend some bucks,., but good luck:p

Evan
11-25-2002, 01:43 AM
I dont know the price of a yz450 but a crf will run 3600--up, not including carb and ign. A new 400ex engine is 2000, I wouldnt pay 1500 for a used one when a new is only 500 more. It would proably be cheapest to buy a new engine and use your hopups on the new one if they arent damaged, then sell your undamaged parts on ebay.

joeroadking
11-25-2002, 11:20 AM
what was you compression rating?, what type of oil where you running,? how often did you change oil,? how many hours on motor total? with bigbore ? did you have a aftermaket cdi ? want all the details, sorry about you misfoutune but maybe we could learn something from this.:(

dawzie
11-25-2002, 05:12 PM
I have a TMM 440 stroker motor, $2000 You might find a used CRF but ALOT of other quad guys are looking for them too.

joeroadking
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
there is abunch of 400ex motors on ebay

stocktires
11-25-2002, 06:30 PM
you could prolly get a nice yz426f or yz400f motor for a decent price. That's what I'd do.... Or any 250 2-stroke motor

YZ450F = Extremely expensive

Jekyl_22
11-25-2002, 10:21 PM
I think I will see if I can just buy a YZ450F engine from YAMAHA. I have been brainstorming today and have been looking around and seeing how much it would cost for a aftermarket-framed YZ450F. I want this: LRD Attitude (Aluminum) Frame w/ 250R geometry, Long Travel Front and Rear Suspension, and a YZ450F engine. I have the details, but too much to write and I'm not sure exactly what I want yet. I am planning on saving up for this and buying it at the end of next summer or around winter next year. If anybody could list some ideas on what to get (a-arms, suspension, swingarm, etc..) and list the price, that would be much appreciated...

Also, about how much should this whole project cost? I am kind of on a large, yet limited budget. I have been looking at web sites like crazy trying to figure out about how much this will cost, because money is a consideration... but I do want an aftermarket frame YZ450F. Any comments and info is great!

stocktires
11-25-2002, 11:09 PM
PM mxbubs!
He built a quad exactly like your taling about, except with a yz426f motor. Its one trick quad!
ask him about it, he's a real nice guy

forum
11-25-2002, 11:29 PM
sorry yamaha does not sell there engine seperatly.! only honda does. I looked into it. you would have to buy the whole BIKE!

Jekyl_22
11-26-2002, 12:50 AM
Hmm.....that's too bad. I guess I will just wait until I can find someone who is selling a YZ450F engine. I would prefer it because it is said to have a lot more low end and midrange, yet it has almost the same peak hp. But keep in mind that this is stuff that I have heard, so I'm not saying it's a fact!!! BUt then again maybe I will just give up and go for a CRF450 engine, only time will tell.

And in reply to "joeroadking":
My compression was 11:1; I ran 15 40w oil, and it pretty much changed itself. I would put in new oil every once in a while because the head had a leak through a stripped thread. I had an amazing amount of hours on it, way too much to ever keep track of; I rode about every day for a little over 1 1/2 years. I also had quite a few hours on my big bore, I've had it since summer. As for the CDI, it was aftermarket. I have only changed my oil filter once (bad move). The cause of this problem could have probably been a number of things. It could have been since I cased it in 3rd pinned, could have been a bad bearing, etc... I'm just not sure. But if I find out any new info about the problem, I will try to keep you posted.

Jekyl_22
11-26-2002, 11:04 PM
I really wanted a YZF quad, but I don't think I will be able to raise the money. Someone was talking about his friend having a Honda 900 4-cylinder street bike engine for $500 though, I might give that a gander and see if I could get that in my 400ex frame. It may be heavier, but it would sure as heck put out some power.

stocktires
11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
and bust your frame to pieces!
It prolly wouldnt be possible without some serious cutting and welding (frame rails).
If I were you, Id stick with getting maybe a nice used yzf400 or 426 motor for a good price. It wouldnt be to hard to mount either!
But anyway, put in a motor that you frame was built for

Extremeracer167
11-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Get ahold of Rick Cecco(465stroker) hes selling a TC465 motor for 1200! Cant beat that price, and that thing FLYS!!!!!