PDA

View Full Version : Malossi Variator

#404's Dad
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
What are you that are using the Malossi "For Over range ONLY" variator having to do to make it work?

The collar that goes on the crank that the inner portion rides on appears to be too long and holds the outer section out to far.

I am becoming unhappy with Malossi's stuff, Nice quality but EVERYTHING needs a little tweaking here or a littler grinding there and so on.

Any help would be super here, The obvious thing to do would be to mill the collar down I am guessing BUT is that the right thing to do?

ukguy
04-11-2008, 03:44 AM
on any i have done we have taken the collar down that sits behind the variator but then found that it catches the casing, the parts that protrudes just behind the variator that holds the starter gear assy, so we take that down too, i suppose it depends on what variator shims you are using if any.

cheatermtrsprts
04-11-2008, 04:46 AM
#8, clean out your pm box.

#404's Dad
04-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ukguy
on any i have done we have taken the collar down that sits behind the variator but then found that it catches the casing, the parts that protrudes just behind the variator that holds the starter gear assy, so we take that down too, i suppose it depends on what variator shims you are using if any.

Crap, I have no shims even in there at this point, just the starter stuff and the collar and the out plate sticks off too far, past the splines actually.

#404's Dad
04-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by cheatermtrsprts
#8, clean out your pm box.

All cleaned out, awful small PM boxes over here on ATVriders, smallest I've seen anywhere :(

Corey

wvspeedfreak
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
All cleaned out, awful small PM boxes over here on ATVriders, smallest I've seen anywhere :(

Corey

Make sure you delete all your "sent" pm's too.

#404's Dad
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Make sure you delete all your "sent" pm's too.

Wow, never thought of that one, thanks man, greatly apreciated :)

#404's Dad
04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't see how this can be made to work, not w/o modifying the heck outa everything in its way!!!!!

Logan #34's Dad
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey Corey, It may be possible that you HAVE to remove the starter stuff to get it to work. Mine almost hits the cases to give you an idea. I actually grinded some of the collar off and it did hit the cases so now I am forced to use a spacer or it will hit.
Rocky
If you absolutley have to have the starter, measure that thickness and take an old spacer and grinder er down.

dblacks
04-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Hey Corey, It may be possible that you HAVE to remove the starter stuff to get it to work. Mine almost hits the cases to give you an idea. I actually grinded some of the collar off and it did hit the cases so now I am forced to use a spacer or it will hit.
Rocky
If you absolutley have to have the starter, measure that thickness and take an old spacer and grinder er down.

we have taken out the starter collar on anything we have used it on

#404's Dad
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
You guys are using the variator that takes the 19x15.5 rollers? When I was fiddling with it the other day I removed the Starter gear and the coller behind it and replaced that coller with the supplied one and it still hung over too far, I will check this out again today but in the limited class i have to have a functional starter so I may end up going back to KOSO variators.

I apreciate the help and I will let ya'll know what i end up with either way.

dblacks
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
i know guys have used them on the 50's but my experience is that the will work on the 50's but you lose too much low end for it to be worth it. I tried it but didnt use it. thank god I am not in the 50 class anymore