PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the Airbox..

Brauap
04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
First off, I would like to say sorry for all the threads I have been making latly, and I am sure a few of you are getting annoyed, so sorry.

My question is, whats up with oil in your airbox? (As many of you know, I kinda messed my bike up.. :ermm: ) Today, I went and took my air cleaner out (K&N w/ Outerwares) and the outerwares had oil on the bottom of it, and the K&N RREEAAKKEDDDDD of bbadd oil. I have yet to change the oil though. There was also some oil in the crankcase catcher or w/e you wanna call it (the lil clear thing on the crankcase breather tube) What does that mean? Am I toooo rich? Too clean? Or is something else f'ed up?

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
The oil in the airbox is coming from your crankcase breather.

A hose vents from your crankcase to your airbox, if you do alot of wheelies, or stand the quad up on your bar the oil can drain upwards through the hose into the airbox.

On my 450, I submerged it under water when I was riding, and water filled the airbox, made it's way into the crankcase and pushed the oil from the crankcase back up the hose into my airbox :(

400ex28
04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Make sure you don't have too much oil in it.

Brauap
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Right now, there is maybe about 1 or 2 centimeters of oil (I know I need more..) I didn't pop any wheelies, well I can't say that.. I did a couple but it never lander on the bar.. do you think something is wrong with the case and its is like spuddering oil up, or do you think it'll be fine?

hornetgod13
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Reading your other threads (Lots of them). I would bet money, you fried your piston rings and also did damage to your valves as well.
Running your quad with the air boot off the carb, as long as you did, with mud packed in everyone of your cooling fins. You even stated when you checked the oil, you had smoke coming out of the oil tank. I consider you lucky it even starts! Your motor is toast! Have you ordered parts for the rebuild yet? Have you done a compression check yet? It has to be well below 100psi.
It just amazes me reading your threads. How is a kid like you going to come up with the money for a rebuild? I would treat your quad a little better if I was you. I think you're about to learn the hard way.

lorenjr83
04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
see this thread to see what happens when you ride with out your air boot on. I guess you should of stopped and checked it out when you heard and felt the difference.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345998

One time my wife got her oil changed in her car and they did the air filter too. she bought it home i got in to head off for a trip and it sounded funny, I turned around came home right away not 6 hours later. i could tell by the sound the air filter was not in correctly. guess what it wasnt on there at all.
When you hear a weird sound or lack in power stop right away and check it out.

Brauap
04-11-2008, 01:38 PM
agreed. The oil smells HORRIBLE!! I did clean the carb last night, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I didn't do the test yet, turns out dad has a comp. tester, but it is for american.. so maybe today, I will just buy a new spark plug, cut the old threads off, and weld the thread on to a dif pug, the hood the plug to the tester, less work that it sounds. But you think I f'ed it up? Thats great, I have another tip in a month and a half.. :(

Brauap
04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83
see this thread to see what happens when you ride with out your air boot on. I guess you should of stopped and checked it out when you heard and felt the difference.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345998

One time my wife got her oil changed in her car and they did the air filter too. she bought it home i got in to head off for a trip and it sounded funny, I turned around came home right away not 6 hours later. i could tell by the sound the air filter was not in correctly. guess what it wasnt on there at all.
When you hear a weird sound or lack in power stop right away and check it out.

EEkkkk!! I hope that didn't happen to.. :uhoh: But now I know, like Hornet said, I have to learn the hard way haha, thats basically how my life is, Always have to learn the hard way..

hornetgod13
04-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
you think I f'ed it up?

GUARANTEED! :ermm:

Brauap
04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Are you %100 sure? (Say no, SAY NOOOOO!!!!)

hornetgod13
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Are you %100 sure? (Say no, SAY NOOOOO!!!!)

YES!

Brauap
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I thought I said to say NO! lol jkjk

Well, that sucks. I will get the comp test done here pretty soon..

Honda#4
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I think you need to learn to maintain and take care of your quad more, no disrespect. Like what was said above now you will have to deal with it the hard way.

NacsMXer
04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Do the compression test....after that, a tear-down will be the only way to see what you REALLY did. The piston/rings wouldn't be the only thing I would be concerned about....think about what happened you your intake valves/valvetrain when you ran it without the boot! All that dirt had a direct path straight into the head's intake.

I made the mistake of misinterpreting the oil level in my old 440 motor and ran it low on oil/overheated it. I was WOT in 4th going uphill when it made a really strange LOUD fluttering sound out the exhaust and died. Quad wouldn't restart...I was expecting the worst.

When I took it all apart the piston/cylinder walls looked absolutely fine to my surprise. But I did manage to seize both my intake valves and bend them when the piston kissed them ever so slightly. My rockers were toast as well. Getting enough oil to the valvetrain is crucial to these motors....that's what I learned from that experience :ermm:

Like the others said, you may have to learn the hard way like I did....but you're never gonna really know until you tear it apart and have a look see.

Brauap
04-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I am planning on callin my cusin today, see if he will tare it apart, I dont wanna f anything else up.. Hes real good w/ that kind of stuff.

STUNTIN400EX
04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
take your engine apart and post some pics. but while you take it apart measure your valves and so on to see if anything is out of spec. these engines AREN"T that hard to work. through another stock piston in it. imo all your trouble is probably head and piston work, your crank and bottom end should be fine. BUT DO THE COMP. TEST AND CHECK FOR LEAK DOWN!

Honda#4
04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I assure you Brauap it's not hard to rip the motor apart, if you have a Clymer manual and a camera your pretty much set. This is the first time for me ripping my motor apart having no motor skills at all and I feel great tearing it apart.

Brauap
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I am not scared of tearing it down, is puting it all back together is the part that scares me.. What if I take it all apart then see that the piston and walls are bad what do I do? I mean I just feel safer taking it to anyone who has more skill than me. I will help, like I will do what I am told and help tare it down and put it back up, but I dont turst myself. My dad won't because he is just afraid that if something goes wrong I will blame him, and he doesn't wanna feel bad (Which I wouldn't) He was afrade to tare into th ecarb, so I showed him its no biggy. But I don't blame him. But if it was his own, he would, because then he could only blame himself... understand?

Honda#4
04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Putting it back together is just as easy, just gotta make sure everything is torqed down correct. As for the piston and walls you'll probably need a bigger piston and for the walls you would just take it to a place to get bored and honed again very simple, having another person helping is always a good thing and it makes things go alot faster.

Plus if you need help this sites the best for that sorta thing, but this time make threads that actually are worth it.

Brauap
04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Fine :p

I went to our new Honda shop, and asked if they possibly sold the comp checker for my bike (12mm) and they don't (I didn't expect them to) but we went a real shop, and they didn't even have one, where should I find one?! Also, when I asked about the comp tester at Honda, they said, you know you probally screwed up your valves if you think your piston is bad, because all that junk that got suck in had to pass thoughs too.. Basically what you guys where tellin me.. So I am thinking I am needing
piston
valves
sleve
ect

I am thinking about this is I have to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/416-cc-10-8-1-Big-Bore-Kit-for-Honda-TRX-400EX-TRX400EX_W0QQitemZ230240655724QQcmdZViewItem (Tell me if thats not working)

And maybe a CRF450 timing chain (should I?)

Tell me what you think..

Honda#4
04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Well I dont think you would need a new sleeve just have it bored to a 416, I highly reccommend you put a crf 450 cam chain in, im sure your chain is stretched, if you type my name in you'll find I have a 416 thread started read it and you'll have some idea on what to see what ur getting into and ideas on what to do, if you need any more ideas you can PM me.

Brauap
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok, Thanks!

Brauap
04-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Do you have an AIM s/n by chance?

Honda#4
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
honda_atv_me@yahoo.com, dont ask me why I just used my email.