PDA

View Full Version : Grooving Tires

predatoradam
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I am looking for a new set of rear tires for my 05 Troy Lee Predator. I haven't found (for my liking) a tire that combines a good mix of mx tread and trail tread. MX tires have perfect tread as far as biting edges, but they are too short for trails, and trail tires have the correct sizes, but seem to have less forward biting edges. I have a tire groover, and am open to cutting brand new tires. I was considering Maxxis Razr's, and then splitting every lug down the middle. I was also considering ITP GNCC's, and splitting those lugs as well. Please post up your opinions on a perfect mix tire, or one that has the potential if grooved properly! Also, if you have any pics of custom grooved rear tires, post those as well.

Thanks!

John451
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Swamp lites... They may be heavy but have good bite. There are some parts that should be cut out though to improve it like parts of the v shapes... I've gotten through so much with them. I got through 1 foot of water and 2 feet of mud fine. If the mud's too goopy it can get stuck. Also it's a lil slippery in snow.... i couldnt find a picture of them for some reason... if you google swamp lite they'll come up. i got mine for $55 each so 110 for 2. They're 6 ply.

predatoradam
04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the input. A friend of mine has an LTR450. For tracks, he runs the stock 18 inch rears, and for trails, he runs Swamplites. I have seen him run the Swamplites on the MX tracks locally, and he almost immediately switches back to the stock tires every time. I would like to try and find a tire that is perfect for both, or has the ability to be grooved to my liking. Here in Central Illinois, we have lots of loose sand, very little rocks, and trails with lots of tree roots. Also, most of the MX tracks are extremely loose. On a side note, I know that Bill Ballance runs Razr's on the rear of his race quad. Does anyone know if he is siping the center of the lugs for more forward biting edges? I have only seen one set of cut atv tires, and I would have to believe that lots of pro GNCC and MX riders cut or sipe their tread for different riding conditions.

John451
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
What's a cut tire look like? i've never seen one on a quad myself but on bikes and all the time on monster trucks. What do you use for it? But i didnt realize that you have loose terrain over there. Around here for loose, well itp holeshots are common, but there are some with big scoops but not quite paddles, they're not the mud lites or superswampers but shark something. i'll find the name and a picture of them and post them.