PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain

sprtrx300ex
11-24-2002, 08:13 PM
What would cause the cam chain to make a knocking noise? Where on the bike is the cam chain located?

THANKS

cjpoole1
11-24-2002, 08:27 PM
I would say its worn out and needs to be replaced

cjpoole1
11-24-2002, 08:44 PM
heres a pic of the 400ex chain, its at the front of the cam

cjpoole1
11-24-2002, 08:50 PM

cjpoole1
11-24-2002, 08:53 PM
let me try that again

sprtrx300ex
11-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the pic! What does the cam chain control? What exactly will happen if I keep running it while it knocks?

UglyMotha™
11-25-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
Thanks for the pic! What does the cam chain control? What exactly will happen if I keep running it while it knocks?

just out of curiosity if you didn't know where the cam chain was how do the heck you know that is what is knocking the cam chain spins the cam which controls your valves if it is messed up and you keep running it you could snap the chain or jump time

Texan32
11-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
What would cause the cam chain to make a knocking noise? Where on the bike is the cam chain located?

THANKS

I don't want to sound like an @ss, but if you are asking questions like that, you might NOT want to be tearing into your motor. There are MANY things in there that can get REALLY F'ed up if its not disassembeled/assembled perfectly. If you DO decide to dive in and fix it yourself, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a service manual....and read it 3 or 4 time before you start!

the timing chain acts just like your drive chain. It streches after time (not as quick though). Just like Ugly said, when it gets worn, it will effect your valve timing in relation to the piston position. There is a spring loaded tensioner in the motor that is supposed to keep the chain tight (just like a serpentine belt tensioner on your car). It could happen, but i don't think it is very likely that your chain is SOOO loose that it is knocking. I could be wrong about that, but it seems a little on the extreem side. When is the last time you adjusted (or even checked) your vlaves?

sprtrx300ex
11-25-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't know for sure that it is the cam chain making the noise. I can't think of any thing else! Timing idunno .I leaving in 2 days for a trip and i need to have an idea of what it is!

Knocks from start
get louder the longer you've been riding
Not fuel related
not plug

Help

Sick0
11-25-2002, 06:59 PM
It sounds like your vavles.

joeroadking
11-25-2002, 07:12 PM
did you change you oil recently if not oil is to thin

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
hey, i just had the timing chain on my 300ex motor jump the sprocket on the crank. it was tickin, i adjusted the valves, thought that was the problem, NOPE. took it for a little test ride, got a 1/2 mile from the house......NOTHIN! engine just plain shut off. after i took it apart, found some bad ***** happened. The chain stretched and didn't jump time, but slapped around and knocked off the small retaining edges on the timing chain guides. Also broke off a small piece of the case ( not a major piece, not harm) They cost about $45.00 for the tensioner side guide, and $25.00 for the fixed one on the other side. a new chain goes for about $90 from honda, but i suggest, lookin on ebay. I picked one up for $56.00 with shipping. Honda oem chain is BorgWarner. the one i got is DID. Same company as the drive chain maker. Said to be real high quality. Another place to get a good chain, but a little exensive is.... http://www.profabatv.com/parts_accessories.htm A buddy bought one, he's real happy with it. Good luck.