PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

Knoxy
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
how do you know when its time for a piston ring change?

what kind of gains can you see from a port and polish?

how do you know when its time to adjust your valves?

how often should the top end be done on the motor?
what about bottom end?

i ride about once every 2 weekends for a whole weekend. i do alot of trails and bush riding with alot of mud involved! and i ALWAYS RUN PREMIUM and CHANGE MY OIL AFTER EVERY 3 RIDE!

see sig for specs.

thanks guys in advance.. i just want to keep my yfz runnin strong and hard.

250r4life
04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Knoxy
how do you know when its time for a piston ring change?

what kind of gains can you see from a port and polish?

how do you know when its time to adjust your valves?

how often should the top end be done on the motor?
what about bottom end?

i ride about once every 2 weekends for a whole weekend. i do alot of trails and bush riding with alot of mud involved! and i ALWAYS RUN PREMIUM and CHANGE MY OIL AFTER EVERY 3 RIDE!

see sig for specs.

thanks guys in advance.. i just want to keep my yfz runnin strong and hard.

when your compression drops

depends on the port and polish...

you dont... you just have to check them periodically and adjust when they are out of spec...

depends on the motor...

Knoxy
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
when your compression drops

depends on the port and polish...

you dont... you just have to check them periodically and adjust when they are out of spec...

depends on the motor...

how do you tell when the compression drops? im pretty sure a mech. has to test this!

is the port and polish worth it?

is there any tell tale signs of when to change the top end? or bottom end?

thanks again!

ohsobad_chevy
04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Knoxy
how do you tell when the compression drops? im pretty sure a mech. has to test this!

is the port and polish worth it?

is there any tell tale signs of when to change the top end? or bottom end?

thanks again!

You can get a compression tester that screws in where your plug goes, pretty easy to check.

A good port and polish is worth everything, do the research and match the porting to your riding style. There is a lot of power that will come from a good port and polish job, when done right.

You would want to change the top end when your rings are bad (blow by = loss of compression) and you will not need a new bottom end for a long time. Keep the oil/filer and the air filter clean and you wont have any problems. ;)

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Compression checks are pretty easy to do and can tell you alot.

It's really easy,

You buy, or rent, or ask someone that has one to borrow it.

Theres a hose with a threaded end that screws into the spark plug hole, you connect the compression tester to the hose.

Then you hold the throttle WIDE OPEN, and crank the motor over with the starter button until the needle on the compression gauge stops climbing.

That is your compression reading, now Im not sure what the spec is for the YFZ but it's probably in the 120-160psi range.

If your getting a reading under that your getting bad compression and more than likely need to replace the rings.
--------------------------

As far as adjusting the valves go, Id say it would be worth checking the valve clearances every 20 hours of riding time. If they are out of spec, adjust, if not just reassemble.

Knoxy
04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
thank you very much for the detailed explanation
i really appreciate your input...
i will get the compression checked and proceed accordingly.

thanks again guys! this is why forums rule! because of the time and effort of people like you guys!

hopefully one day i will be as knowledgeable as you guys!

take care!:D

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey, that's what we're here for...

as far as the knowledge goes, you learn a little everyday and can help answer other peoples questions as you go.