PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trouble!

MikeyM1980
11-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Ok here's the problem. Went to a track a couple weeks ago. I had a shortened FMF pipe and took the air box lid off (oh and I also have the choke removed). Took a few laps around the track real slow since it was my first time there. After I started to ride hard my 400EX started to hesitate somewhat and then it started getting worse. When I would stab the throttle it would bog and almost die. So I put it up and went home. Since then I cleaned and oiled the filter, moved the clip down on the needle, put a new spark plug in, put the air box lid on, and drained the old gas and put new gas. Well, went to a local track and didn't even make it around half a lap and the thing started to do them same except it was a lot worse. It died and I hard a hard time getting the damn thing started and off the track. Went to my trailor and pulled the plug and the curved part at the end looked the color of coroded aluminum and just below the threads it was black and it smelt kinda bad and it didn't smell like gas. I'm guessing I need to re-jet but I want to know what you think. What I don't understand is how it got worse by putting the clip lower on the needle? (I hope I didn't do the opposite, get kinda carried away and sometimes it happens)

Gusto
11-24-2002, 08:17 PM
I would say that your "choking" it out. I don't know what neck of the woods that your riding, but when the weather takes a turn for the worst, you need to re-jet. 4-strokes are more forgiving then then the 2-strokes with the weather.

I would say that you need more "air" so bring the needle up or go to a different jet. Not knowing what you are using for a slow jet or main it would be hard to tell you.

toby400ex
11-24-2002, 08:17 PM
i think it sounds like you need to rejet, since you did get a pipe and made the engine get more air.