PDA

View Full Version : New Rider

hra
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey Guys, this is the best ATV forum with great people. I just got my 400ex and I want to replace the Exhaust system with a yoshimura full system (carbon Fiber). I know this has been discussed A LOT, sorry, my question is how load is it compared to stock, this is a 2008 400ex. I called Yoshi and they said it comes with spark arrester with 97db, compared to stock 89db is it that much louder? Please help me decide?
Thank You.

REDRIDDER
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
it will be a noticeable difference with the Yoshi and 97db is a pretty good sound level i mean its not really loud witch is a good thing but at the same time it isn't very quiet its going to sound good.Im pretty sure that with the Yoshi being only 97db you shoudn't have a problem getting into any dunes or anything like that with that pipe with with the spark arrestor in and I'm assuming the quiet core in place to make it 97db.

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Yosh pipes are really loud, I have one on my YFZ and over stock it's WAYYY louder.

My buddies 400ex, built 440 motor, went from stock exhaust to a curtis sparks X-6, and it's not really all that much louder, but its louder, makes it sound alot better though. I guess throatier...

RaginRedneck
04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346007

Check out this thread...as of right now its still on the first page of the 400EX section. The creator did a great job of finding various sound clips of the different aftermarket exhausts out there so people can hear what they sound like. It might help.

Good luck.

2muchquad
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
97db is on the loud side.Dont think it will be only a "tad" louder than stock because it wont,its WAYY louder,point blank.Remember a 10db gain in noise is considered twice as loud.So if a stock 400ex is 89db and a aftermarket exhaust is 99db,then its twice as loud.There are quieter pipes out there that can get you in the lower 90db range and still have good performance over stock,FMF power core or "Q" comes to mind.Ride responsibly,loud pipes get even more of our trails closed down.No need for a loud racing exhaust like the "pros" if your just trail riding behind the house;)

04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
You need to bear in mind that sound increases on a linear scale. A rise of 6dB is twice as loud...so an ouput at 12dB is twise as loud as 6dB, so going by this I'd say the Yosh is on the louder side. I have a pipe claimed to be 100dB bit doesn't seem to be too loud, more a deep thump but I guess its all about the air it moves and the rpm the dB's peak at.

mcwilly
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it's definately louder than stock. Not deafening, but louder. I just installed one on mine (full RS-3 Carbon) a couple of weeks ago.
Not the best sound clip, but here's a vid of mine from a couple of weeks ago.
video link (http://media.putfile.com/messing-around-32)

Mellow Yellow
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind the 400 is rediculously quiet with a stock exhaust. My buddies used to kid me about the sewing machine I was riding before I upgraded my exhaust. Any aftermarket exhaust will be louder than stock but that doesn't mean it's to loud.

hra
04-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks a lot guys, theoretically by db measures its gonna be about twice as loud as a stock, but listening to your vid it doesn't seem to be that loud.

REPOMAN
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda_Matt
Yosh pipes are really loud, I have one on my YFZ and over stock it's WAYYY louder.

My buddies 400ex, built 440 motor, went from stock exhaust to a curtis sparks X-6, and it's not really all that much louder, but its louder, makes it sound alot better though. I guess throatier...
CURTIS SPARKS IS WAY LOUD. I HAVE THE SAME EXHAUST

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
CURTIS SPARKS IS WAY LOUD. I HAVE THE SAME EXHAUST

I duno, it's decently loud but he just refreshed the packing in the silencer, and at idle it really isnt annoyingly loud.

At RPM's it def. gets louder though

Defintley not going to sound like a 450