PDA

View Full Version : 06 battery drain

mchepp2
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I have an 06er that is bone stock. For the past few months when I go to ride the battery is flat after it's been sitting for a week or so. I can push start it the battery will eventually charge enough to start so I know it's not a charging problem. But, let it set for a week and it's dead again. Do any of you ER owners have this problem? How do I fix it without disconnecting the battery or buying a trickle charger?

the Z Man
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
A lot of the 06 ers have had battery issues, probly a dead cell, I would say yyou have to buy a new one.

GIXXER1KR
04-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Id sy buy a new one.Its hit or miss.I had mine for 2 years and killed it at least 3 times.And others last a few months.I hope my new one is as good as the 1st:)

Jonas
04-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Just buy a trickle charged that charges when needed automatically. There is not a way around it. Your battery is probably history now if you have neglected it. Everyone wants the lightest quad on the market. That's why they put one of the lightest batteries they could of put in the quad. If you just keep it on a trickle charger it will last just fine.

mchepp2
04-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I'd damn near sell this bike if I thought I had to keep it hooked up to a charger all the time..I've owned 5 quads and this is the junkiest bike of them all

04'400ex'er
04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I killed a cell in my stock battery when I first got my bike. I piped the bike, jetted it correctly (checked with a dyno), and left for the sand dunes. After riding for a day or two, and several hours, the bike gradually got to where it would not start on its own without being pull started when it was hot. The valves had broken in and caused hard starting which eventually killed my battery and starter. So I feel your pain of a $75 battery. Must have your jetting spot-on, and kno your own bike's starting characteristics, or you will go through starters and batteries on a yearly basis due to the high compression of these bikes. I am nearly to the point of converting to a kick starter.