PDA

View Full Version : 440 guys I need your opinions

400Trooper
04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey all you 440 guys I need your opinions.

I have a bone stock 2002 400EX with a e-series slip-on, I have decided to do a 440 over a 426 strictly from a power standpoint. I race in the desert here in sunny Arizona where it is 4 feet from hell! It gets hot here obviously so please take that into consideration with your recommendations. Here goes the questions!

Which..
1. piston brand and compression ratio, I'm not afraid to use race gas!
2. sleeve brand
3. cam brand (Web cams or Hot cams, I do realize the differences!)
4. what timing chain upgrade
5. which gasket maker, looked at cosmetic(?)
6. exhaust system
7. Will be doing porting and polishing of head too!
8. considering bigger valves, (Kibble White, yes, no?) and springs.
9. Already have a 450R carb just waiting!!!
10. oil cooling upgrades?

I know I'll need the bigger heavy duty head studs!

Send me what you've got I'm totally open to suggestions!!
Thanks
400trooper

blue_ex_rider
04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Here is what I would do if I were you

1. I would go with a JE pistion prolly they make a 10.8 to 1 compression if I were wanting power I would go with the 12 to 1 but you are pushing it with the stock rod it might last and it might bot.( I have a 12.5 to 1 custoum Je pistion never ran that I would sell for $100 shipped just an idea).
2. LA sleeves makes good sleeves from what I hear dont know alot about them but hear good things on here bout them.
3. If your wanting the cheap way out go with the hotcams they are goods cam for the money. Ig our wanting power I would say go web prlly the 479 grind. But you will need hardened rocker and hd valve springs. So it is all about what you want to spend on doing this also with the web you will need a stock core. If it were me I would go web if I was turing to build the best i could.
4. The CRF 450 chain would be a good invest not a must but better safe then sorry.
5 C&D racing carries a gasket called NOS I think you can get either the XR size gasket which is .027 and will make your compression higher or get the stock size which is.047 or something close which will loer your comp. But those are suppose to be good gaskets. But I really dont know if one is better than another as far as gaskets its perfernce.
6. I run the x6 sparks full racing exhaust and I love it makes good power that is what I would run. I had an HMF and it made good power as well
7.Port and polish would e a great gain. Sparks Racing does it also Duncan racing can do it. Also I have heard good things about LRD and DRG. I would make sure tha it is put on a flow bench might cost alittle more but will be done right.
8.Kibble white valves are good ones also if you get sparks or duncan or someone like that to do a port get a 3 angle valve job and let them put the valves in for you and put hat they use in .
10. Dont know alot about this but I have seen ppl run the cbr1000 oil coolers dont know if it helps alot but ppl do it. I would prolly run racr gas it will keep it alittle cooler.

That is about what I would try if you have any more questions just ask and il try to help