PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Bigdaddy52302
04-09-2008, 07:37 PM
So I am sure there are some threads on this but I thought I would see what others are running and there opinions on this.

What kind of oil do you run and what is better synthetic or not?
I have heard that you should always break a motor in with conventional to help seat the valves and break in the rings then switch to synthetic. But I have also heard that synthetic in bikes is not good because of something to do with the clutches or what not.

So I have just got my bike back from a fresh build on the top end, piston, rings, hone, valves, etc.. and have been running Spectragold 10W40 conventional, I have rode twice for about 3-4 hours each ride with one oil change inbetween rides, now I am about to change it again before I ride for the third time and was wondering what oil I should run?

:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese:

UNBROKEN
04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
i run 10w40 amsoil in all my bikes and for the ex in hot weather in the high 90s and up run 20w50 amsoil synthetic

TRXRacer1
04-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I run conventional Valvoline motorcycle oil. 10w-40 in the cold, 20w-50 in the hot. Synthetic is more resistant to breaking down in extreme conditions but conventional will hold up just fine if you change it frequently.

Bigdaddy52302
04-10-2008, 06:10 AM
I never even thought to see if Valvoline made motorcycle oil, I am a 100% Valvoline man that is all I will run in my cars and my truck, it only seems fitting to run it in my quad. Awesome input guys and when you say you run 20W50 when its hot, what is hot? I live in Iowa so only about 2months out of the year is it in the 90's mostly upper 70's and 80's here.

Honda#4
04-10-2008, 07:04 AM
I just use honda GN4 oil

hyperpro
04-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Just make sure that the oil you run is JASO approved for wet clutches. I use 10w40 syn Amsoil

reconranger
04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Good oil reads:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

There are 3 DIFFERENT kinds of synthetics. For the record, Rotella is an example of group III; Mobil 1 and Amsoil are group IV PAO, and the ester synthetics are group V:

http://www.p1-performance.com/pdf/oildoc.pdf

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/LubeNews2002.pdf

tdmopar59
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
amsoil 10w-40 in the qaud... the truck gets amsoil 5w-30! cant go wrong with amsoil!

reconranger
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
If you pick an oil that is API SG/JASO MA, you won't go far wrong. (SG insures that you are getting an additive package that will protect your cam and integrated transmission, and MA means it is safe for your wet clutch.) Beyond that, the syntheitcs are way better than petroleum oils, and the group V ester synthetics are way better than the other two types of synthetics.

My choices are:

Inexpensive petroleum oil- Maxima Premium. Maxima has the best additive package in the industry.

Intermediate priced blend- Maxima Blend. Again, best additive package out there!

Expensive fulll synthetic- Redline MC or Maxima Extra....both group V ester synthetics. (Note that Redline is JASO MB, not MA. It's a long story.....but even though this oil is MB it is still OK for a wet clutch! I am seeing a slight horsepower increase running Redline, and the engine revs up much faster!!! It is my oil of choice, but it is very expensive!)

Do run petroleum oil diring break in, and break it in hard to seat the rings: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

In most parts of the country, 10W40 makes a good warm season oil, and 5W30 a good cold season oil. In the very hot southern states, maybe 15W50 in the hot and 10W30 in the cold. In the frozen north, maybe 10W30 in the warm months and 0W30 in the cold.

TRXRacer1
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Bigdaddy52302
I never even thought to see if Valvoline made motorcycle oil, I am a 100% Valvoline man that is all I will run in my cars and my truck, it only seems fitting to run it in my quad. Awesome input guys and when you say you run 20W50 when its hot, what is hot? I live in Iowa so only about 2months out of the year is it in the 90's mostly upper 70's and 80's here. We have about the same summer here in lower WI. By hot I mean June-August.

Bigdaddy52302
04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Thank You everyone for your input I have decided to go with this..
Like I stated earlier I am a Valvoline Man...

Valvoline ATV oil contains a proprietary blend of premium base oils and advanced additive technology to help you get the most from your ATV.

Available at: Auto Zone and Murray's

Valvoline ATV Oil provides:

Extreme Condition Performance - Thermally stable formula maintains proper lubrication to protect engines under extreme conditions.
Wet Clutch Protection - Optimal frictional characteristics for high torque, smooth shifting and proper protection of the wet clutch.
Corrosion Resistance - Advanced additives help protect against water, deposits and other corrosive materials to keep engines clean.
Maximum Horsepower - Proper additive balance for maximum horsepower.
Minimal Wear - Increased anti-wear agents minimize wear from metal-to-metal contact.
Shear Stability - Shear stable viscosity improvers better resist oil film breakdown.

reconranger
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
You can see how Valvoline compares here: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

b4wheeler
04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I have been running Spectro ATV blend for a couple of change cycles. As soon as it comes out clean after a race or 5 hours riding, I think I am going to switch to Honda GN4. That is what I ran in my VFR and was very happy with it...So we will see how it will work in the quad....
I bought the bike used, so I am changing the oil quite often to clean the engine out. The oil looks like it is full of moly lube, it is a weird gray color. I will check it again after this weekend and see if it is getting cleaner...
Any other ideas on how to flush the engine completely??????

shallow518
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
We have about the same summer here in lower WI. By hot I mean June-August.

where you live in wisconsin?

TRXRacer1
04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by shallow518
where you live in wisconsin? Near Milwaukee.

reconranger
04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
One needs to be aware that even some "motorcycle" oils have gotten a downgrade in their additive package (just like car oils got downgraded years ago). The reason is because many street bikes now have catalytic converters, and some additives will poison a converter. This is an attempt by manufacturers to make a universal motorcycle oil for both street and off-road, but for us off-roaders it is a negative. This is especially true of the manufacturer's branded oils (like Honda!), if the manufacturer also sells street bikes.

Again, if your oil isn't API SG, go looking for another brand....there are dozens of them out there....so this isn't really a difficult assignment.

Speedy 400ex
04-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Will HMP4 10w-40 work? they guy at the store was not very helpfull.

rodeo#11
04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
i run amsoil 10w40 does good for the temps. here where i live plus i get it for nearly nothing so thats another reason lol

DementeD
04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
i believe u do not want the hpm4 since the m is for moly..u want the hp4....anyway thats what i use and seems to run fine with it

BigBore24
04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
just curious to know what happens if you run oil that isnt recommended for wet clutches?

Brauap
04-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I just buy the stuff you get at the Honda shop.. The Honda Racing 10W40

Eviltanker
04-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Klotz 10w40 MX4, clutch safe and smells good.