PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem.....

REDRIDER312
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
symptoms : starter switch clicks when start button is push'd. When i push and release the start buttom, the lights dim then after about 2 seconds they come back full power.
I know the battery is full and I check'd the fuse and i cleaned all the contact points on the battery and the starter switch..........ANY IDEAS ??????????

f150mann
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
you need a solenoid, take a screwdriver and cross your solenoid with it. bet she will start

klutch
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Nah its the stator... my sisters 300ex does the same click. When it was the relay/solenoid whatever it didn't click at all just ran a screw driver and it would start.

QuadManiac
04-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Here are the possible problems (some already described above):

1) Bad starter solenoid (relay). Shorting across the two large lugs on the solenoid should make the starter crank (make sure it's in neutral). If it does crank from the short, and you do hear a click when pressing the starter button, it's a bad solenoid. If shorting across the lugs doesn't crank the starter -

2) bad starter: use a jumper cable to jump straight from the battery+ to the starter's terminal lug. If it doesn't crank, starter is bad. If it does crank -

3) bad solenoid to starter cable

THere is the possibility that your ground lead is bad from the battery to the frame/block, so check it for good, tight connections. Also 'exercise' the wires where thay exit the lugs to make sure that the strands of wire haven't fatigued and broken off inside the shrink tubing at each end. To verify that the ground lead is NOT causing the problem, connect a jumper cable between the battery minus terminal and a good, clean, unpainted spot on your frame or engine block, then try again. If problem goes a away, the ground connection/cable are suspect.

Good Luck!

f150mann
04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
i still say solenoid, id be willing to bet on it. stator is very low on the list of possibilities i think

klutch
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by f150mann
i still say solenoid, id be willing to bet on it. stator is very low on the list of possibilities i think

I don't know man... i have had both go bad on me... when my relay went bad it didn't click at all when i pushed the button. With the bad start it just does a weird click.

QuadManiac
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Stator is not even a consideration. It has nothing to do with these symptoms. I'd also bet on the solenoid, but the symptoms could just as easily point to a bad STARTER (not stator). The dimming lights may be an indicator here. Shorting across the two large lugs on the solenoid with a big screwdriver will tell you whether starter is ok.

Solenoid will click yet not provide current to the starter if the internal contacts are 'burned' or carbonized thru many repeated close/open cycles - a common failure mode.

f150mann
04-10-2008, 09:49 AM
exactly! its likely solenoid and if not its def the starter. at least its very simple to check both

REDRIDER312
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input everyone......it was the SOLENOID...I jumped the leads with a screwdriver and it turned right over.....
THANKS AGAIN !!!

f150mann
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i r so smart

REDRIDER312
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
........and my battery is bad, my charger says it has a "BAD" cell.....add that to the list !!