PDA

View Full Version : 400ex timing

ilm400ex
04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
ok i am rebuilding the motor on my 400ex and putting a cam in it. so how do i time it is there a dot on the fly wheel or what?

webbnaste
04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
I dont know if its exactly the same, but on my 300ex you have the two allen head bolts you remove from the left side of your motor. When you put the new cam in, make sure that the two lines on the timing gear are flat even with the head. Now take a 17mm socket and put it on the bolt in the larger of the two allen bolt holes, while looking in the smaller hole with a light, keep turning the socket counter clockwise till you see a sideways T come by(careful mine has a few other marks...but the T is what you want). Line that up with the mark in the smaller hole....make sure your cam gear lines are still even with the head....and you should be good 2 go. Hope its similar for your 400ex.

lghickman21
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
on the flywheel there are two marks an F and a T LIne the mark at the T up with the mark in the inspection hole in the left side cover. point you cam lobes down and then line up the cam shaft sprocket with the top of the head and you got it. make sure your marks on the cam sprocket are lined up after your tensioner is in.

ilm400ex
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
hey thanks for every thing