PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the 400ex for GNCC??

cliff400ex
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I have a 2001 400ex and have just gotten into GNCC racing. Everyone seems to be using the new 450's but I just can't bring myself to part with the EX. I got a good deal on the machine and already have too much invested into it to start all over. (Nerf bars, skid plates, kill switch, tires, handlebars, etc.) I just wanted to get some opinions from people who don't have all the money in the world to spend. Is it a problem having an air-cooled engine? I am already looking into a steering stem, dampener, etc. I thinking of doing this before the shocks due to their price. What brand of parts do you recommend? My first GNCC race was the 2008 Steele Creek. Muddy as hell, but a complete blast. Since I am boring the hell out of everyone, the question is...... Is the 400ex worth turning into a GNCC racer???????

TRXRacer1
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
If you're just in it for fun then stick with what you have. I can pull 450's all day in the woods. It's not like you're' doing 65+ mph. I run 21" rear Klaw XC's with 23" front Razr2's (wish I would have got 22" fronts). The 21" tires got me past everyone with 20" tires in the tight mud sections. I'm geared down to 13/38 to compensate for the rears allowing it to pull like a freight train all the way from the top to the bottom. The 10:1 Wiseco 416 piston, Hotcams stage 1 cam, PC T4 slip-on, uni-style filter and E85 help too. The rear stock shock is at 50% sag with a faster compression setting then rebound. The front shocks were tossed for Works. I'm a "heavier" rider so this works perfect for me. With my current setup I can coat my engine in mud, and clog my oil cooler and still not overheat.

Edit: I forgot to add that I also have ITP Baja wheels all the way around because I have trashed a couple of the stockers.... always on the inside bead. Stock a-arms with a slight offset in the wheels (front and back). The rear axle is getting swapped out for an LSR only because I had a bearing blow out that resulted in a cracked carrier and trashed axle. Ruined the Sprocket hub too....... ouch!

sictrxr
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
your motor should be fine you dont need power in gncc. save up for shocks or buy used you can find great deals. buy a good damper(prescion if ya got the cash) and steering stem anti vibe. also what class do you run? and trxracer1 whats wrong with 23" fronts?

flauge
04-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
If you're just in it for fun then stick with what you have. I can pull 450's all day in the woods. It's not like you're' doing 65+ mph. I run 21" rear Klaw XC's with 23" front Razr2's (wish I would have got 22" fronts). The 21" tires got me past everyone with 20" tires in the tight mud sections. I'm geared down to 13/38 to compensate for the rears allowing it to pull like a freight train all the way from the top to the bottom. The 10:1 Wiseco 416 piston, Hotcams stage 1 cam, PC T4 slip-on, uni-style filter and E85 help too. The rear stock shock is at 50% sag with a faster compression setting then rebound. The front shocks were tossed for Works. I'm a "heavier" rider so this works perfect for me. With my current setup I can coat my engine in mud, and clog my oil cooler and still not overheat.

Edit: I forgot to add that I also have ITP Baja wheels all the way around because I have trashed a couple of the stockers.... always on the inside bead. Stock a-arms with a slight offset in the wheels (front and back). The rear axle is getting swapped out for an LSR only because I had a bearing blow out that resulted in a cracked carrier and trashed axle. Ruined the Sprocket hub too....... ouch! Thats the same way I trashed my stockers too! I got some old used Itp beadlocks about a year ago and there following the same path.:ermm:
So the Baja's have the ring on the inside too? I'll prolly try those next.:)

TRXRacer1
04-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by sictrxr
trxracer1 whats wrong with 23" fronts? I went from stock fronts to these and they're starting to seem a tad bulky the more I ride with them. It's not horrible or anything I'm just being picky. I don't need 23" so I think 22" would be just a little better.

Originally posted by flauge
Thats the same way I trashed my stockers too! I got some old used Itp beadlocks about a year ago and there following the same path.:ermm:
So the Baja's have the ring on the inside too? I'll prolly try those next.:) Yeah they have rings on both sides. So far they're holding up quite well.

cliff400ex
04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I run 30+ C class in GNCC. Thanks for the responses. That is exactly what I was thinking. Shocks, steering, and rims. Screw the motor. I may have gotten into 3rd or 4th on a straight-away. Then, right back into the woods. Did anyone else race at Steele Creek this year??

sictrxr
04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by cliff400ex
I run 30+ C class in GNCC. Thanks for the responses. That is exactly what I was thinking. Shocks, steering, and rims. Screw the motor. I may have gotten into 3rd or 4th on a straight-away. Then, right back into the woods. Did anyone else race at Steele Creek this year??
no but a couple of my friends did i might do yadkin valley stomp and i will be at unidilla

b4wheeler
04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by cliff400ex

I raced Steele Creek and had a blast. It was my first GNCC. I am preping for Ohio and John Penton....
I have a completey stock 400ex and it held up great. I ran the razr2 fronts, and the old razr rears. The rears were really worn out and had me spinnin' my wheels all day. I could have used newer tires.
I also had problems with the rear skidplate. Look into getting a sprocket guard and rear disc guard as opposed to the skid plate.
In the deep ruts, the skidplate with the 20" rears, I was getting hi-centered all day long.
I am going to invest in some 22's and a gear change for anymore mud races...

TRXRacer1
04-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by b4wheeler

In the deep ruts, the skidplate with the 20" rears, I was getting hi-centered all day long.
I am going to invest in some 22's and a gear change for anymore mud races... Just going to a 21 makes a huge difference. Both Kenda and ITP make 21" tires. They're lighter then 22's and feel less bulky. Here's a height picture from stock to my Knarly's:

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/400ex/newandold.jpg