PDA

View Full Version : 2002 400ex bolt head striped

11-06-2001, 08:29 AM
On my 2002 400EX, went to do the first oil change and i drained the pan, and then i drained the block and i went to go and take the oil filter cover off. I took out the bolt towards the front of the engine and it came off with no problem and then i went to take off the one toward the back of the engine and the head striped. The bolt never broke lose. I call the dealer were i bought it from and they said that the bolt should have broke before it striped. They made me take it back to them and they are getting a Honda rep. to come and look at it. Has this happen to anybody else?

JabberJaw
11-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Yeah! I stripped the head on a bolt in my case cover, while installing a new clutch.

If I were you.....I would just replace the .39 cent bolt...heck with the dealer, toting the bike to them, or having Honda look at it...

kc 300EX
11-06-2001, 12:27 PM
Is that Honda's philosophy? Make the boldt snap b4 it strips? Cuz ive broken like 100 boldts on my quad, and it really ticks me off, dont usually strip the boldts though, just the screws

barbwire44
11-06-2001, 12:37 PM
I think you fellows need to invest in a Torque Wrench, and lay off the steroids...........lol:D

11-06-2001, 12:44 PM
this is the first oil change. it came from the factory like that. so that is why they wanted to get a rep. out there. But i just got off the phone with them and they said that it was not under warrent and i have to pay 60.00 not for them to take out a bolt. that is a crock of ****. i dont know if i should rise some hell about it.

11-09-2001, 04:44 PM
bro, two weeks ago I snapped the same bolt. Got on here and some guys walked me through taking off the freekin' case cover so I could get that bolt. It was my fault anyway, but the dealership gave me a bolt to replace it. I also have only had my 400ex for a month or so.

If your saying they want $60.00 from you, Id give the ol' salute... the el' birdo... the center piece of your fingers.... I tell'em to stick it man!!! Get that bolt out yourself and consider it a lesson learned. Good luck.

SGA
11-14-2001, 10:31 PM
First time i changed the oil (10 hours, brand new) i was amazed how tight the oil filter cover bolts were to break loose. once they broke loose they came out easy. noticed the threads were a little rusty. apperently(SP?) some water worked past the bolt heads & got to the threads. I put some never- sieze on the threads before screwing them back in. Also if possible use only use 6 point sockets on motorcycles/quads. most of the bolts are #8 hardened & will really lock in place after a few heat/cool cycles. cheap 12 point sockets will round the bolt head corners off. NOW- as far as the dealer goes, you bought it from them?, and they wanted to charge you 60 bucks? sure it was your fault, you rounded the bolt head, but they could have cut you some slack, removed the bolt- ten minutes tops, told you to be careful, no charge and sent you on your way. would have gone A LONG WAY towards dealer loyalty. man what a bunch of inconsiderate @**&%!$... In for the mighty buck. I wouldnt make too big of a scene, just get your quad , tell them they just lost a customer,(tell the owner, i'm sure he would like to know this) & tell all your friends how you were treated there. Then find another dealer. sounds like my local dealer, thats why I bought mine from a great honda dealer about 40 miles away, THEY CARE. Have also sent alot of people to them. sorry this is long, had to vent

Leo
12-05-2001, 07:33 PM
I'm guessing the head is rounded off?

The first thing I did when I started turning wrenches for a living was take every 12-point socket I owned, and chunk 'em..

The ONLY time to consider using a 12 point socket is on a 12 point bolt head.

The good news is if the bolt head is still there, give it a few taps with a hammer, lock on the trusty vice grips (tools of last resort ;)) and spin 'er out.

Leo