PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dune tires.

zdowell
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, i know this is asked ALOT on this forum but oh well. Looking at dune tires, and I am not going to spend a lot. So I think im going to get Kenda Gecko's. They look alright, and should have the side hill bit and a good hole shot to. Question is, should I get the 18x9x8 or 21x11x8? Think the 18x9x8 be to small? Let me know what you think

GPracer2500
04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Not sure what the sand is like in Iowa...but Keckos might be my least favorite sand tire among those I've tried. I've ridden a 400ex with 21" Geckos and a Blaster with the 18" size. The 18" are out of the question on a 400ex. They were too small--I thought--even for a Blaster. They get swallowed up too easily in ruts and whoops. The problem with either size, IMO, is way too much weight and way too much traction. Yes, they are cheap to buy. But you barely get what you pay for. I have no idea why they even make the Gecko Plus (10 paddle version). I've never tried them but they must be a worse version of an already poor performing tire.

IMO there are better choices that don't cost much more (e.g. AMS Sand Snake or Sidewinder; Kenda Dune Runner, Dune Hopper, or Tracker; or even a GBC Sand Shark or Sand Devil).

$0.02

bossman525
04-09-2008, 06:38 AM
i just bought the sidewinders by ams. they hook up great and turned good to. ive had geckos and hated them. the sidewiders arent much more then the geckos

zdowell
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I am actually going to Little Sahara, OK. Ill check out the ones you mentioned.

250r4life
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Not sure what the sand is like in Iowa...but Keckos might be my least favorite sand tire among those I've tried. I've ridden a 400ex with 21" Geckos and a Blaster with the 18" size. The 18" are out of the question on a 400ex. They were too small--I thought--even for a Blaster. They get swallowed up too easily in ruts and whoops. The problem with either size, IMO, is way too much weight and way too much traction. Yes, they are cheap to buy. But you barely get what you pay for. I have no idea why they even make the Gecko Plus (10 paddle version). I've never tried them but they must be a worse version of an already poor performing tire.

IMO there are better choices that don't cost much more (e.g. AMS Sand Snake or Sidewinder; Kenda Dune Runner, Dune Hopper, or Tracker; or even a GBC Sand Shark or Sand Devil).

$0.02

X2... geckos are absolutely horrible...

cbrooks118
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
my buddie has some 21's on his predator 500. They did ok, i was actually suprised after how much "crap" i read about them on here. We ride at LS all the time. Not to bad considering he gave a $100 for wheels and tires.

I have skat track extreme 9 paddles on my YFZ. They do pretty good, but i wish i would have 8 paddles, but the paddles were a package deal when i bought the bike. There is infinite threads on paddle comparision on here, use the search function.

Just remember any paddle is better than knobbies. Be safe and have fun.

zdowell
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I assure you I read them. Obviously people are going to say the more expensive ones are better. What we need is a thread that rates them from Best to worst with price tags. Make it a sticky and there wouldn't be 100 different threads about which ones are best. I think I might go with Kenda Dune Runners though, they are $112 after tax from my parts guy. I heard they are desent for the price.

zdowell
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
what size is the stock rear rim?

250r4life
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
what size is the stock rear rim?

9 inch

250r4life
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
Obviously people are going to say the more expensive ones are better.

not neccessarily...

i really like sand sharks, and they are a pretty cheap tire...