PDA

View Full Version : Is that ticking sound my valves?

alping45
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I just got a new '07 400ex and problably have right around 20 hours on it and just started hearing a light ticking/chattering coming from the motor at all rpms. Would this be because my valve clearances are out of spec? I was planning on checking them this weekend anyway since I figure i just got it broke in, looks like I should be doing it a little sooner if I plan on riding before then?

RaginRedneck
04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
More than likely the valves. There is a recommened service at 20 hours and of the things to do is have the valves adjusted. If you don't have the book let me know, I'll dig mine up and I'll tell you what is recommended at the 20 hour service.

04TRX400EX
04-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes, technically you are supposed to check the valve clearances at 20 hours but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The most important maintenance items are air filter care and oil changes.

The "ticking" noise is common on 400EX's. If you were to check and adjust the valves if needed the noise may quiet a bit but you can be sure it will come back. Mine is pretty loud when it's cold but as soon as it starts to warm up and/or I rev it past ~3k rpm it goes away. I don't know ... it just does it.

MAKO19
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing about my bike. When it's cold it doesn't do it probably because the oil is thick but when I'm letting her warm up the ticking starts after about 2 minutes of idle time. Very lite little tick and only noticeable at idle.

alping45
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok, I checked & adjusted the valves yesterday, they were all about .002 to .003 over on clearance. I adjusted them down to spec and as far as I can tell the ticking is gone. I was amazed at how easy it was, much easier than on that darn'd Z400 I got rid of to get my EX;)