PDA

View Full Version : kickstarter rebuild?

glamiskid395
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
i need to know how to put the kickstart lever back onto a 05 450r.

last time it was ridden, the lever just plain broke off!
the screw came out, and it just came off.

went to the honda shop to get the screw and they said we needed to 4 parts to put it back on.
1. screw
2. ball bearing
3. little spring
4. dust seal

how do the spring and ball bearing go into the lever????

ill attach a picture of the parts

glamiskid395
04-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Vade
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Ha im going threw the same thing just now i had the screw fall off me a few months ago and lost the ball bearing and spring imo you dont really need the ball bearing and spring just the dust seal,grease,and screw

glamiskid395
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
well i figured it out, gotta take off the pivot thing too, then theres a hole on the backside for the spring to go into then the ball and the lever goes over it.

the ball sits in a hole when not in use, so the lever doesnt swing out while riding.

its real easy to fix, and cheap.

i still need to add some grease to it though.

Vade
04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
gotta take off the pivot? :confused: u didnt happen to take pics did you oh and grease is a must mine started to rub up against the metal pretty bad that i had to take it off

glamiskid395
04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Vade
gotta take off the pivot? :confused: u didnt happen to take pics did you oh and grease is a must mine started to rub up against the metal pretty bad that i had to take it off

yes i took pics of it, but im at school right now, so i dont have any of my pics.

its the the piece that kickstarter sits on.
theres a allenhead bolt holding it on, take the bolt out, and slide that piece off the gear. then on the backside of that piece is a hole for the spring to go into, then the ball bearing.
once thats done, slide the lever on the pivot piece.
(the lever has a hole on the inside for the ball to sit in when its not in use.)

then put the pivot piece back on the put the bolt in.

fyi the Honda service manuel says NOTHING about fixing this.

ill post the pic when i get home in 30 minutes

glamiskid395
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
heres that pic

Vade
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I just finished mine thanks a lot this saved me a good 15 mins trying to figure out how was i was gonna get that ball bearing in there without it coming off

glamiskid395
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Vade
I just finished mine thanks a lot this saved me a good 15 mins trying to figure out how was i was gonna get that ball bearing in there without it coming off

no problem man.
it was a borrowed bike from a friend so i had to fix it.
the bike was a demo bike for a dealer, so it was beat and put through its paces