PDA

View Full Version : Just Checkin In

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey guys I was just checkin in... Figured I'd give everyone a lil update on what I've been up 2. I haven't been on nearly as much as I use to be in the last 8 years.

Nothing much has been goin on with except I'm finally getting to the end of college. Today I got my 1st job offer that I accepted working on Power Plant Turbines for Siemens Energy. Siemens is one of the top 5 largest companies in the world right now... I'll be based in Orlando Florida for the 1st year then travel the country to anywhere a power plant goes down. I couldn't pass up the paycheck they are gonna give me haha... there will def be alot of toys in my garage soon:devil: Pappy you better have that PC machine fired up I got 2 years of missed riding to make up! I start January 18th of next year and I graduate from Penn State this December with a degree in mechanical engineering. I just can't believe how fast its all gone by...

For anyone thats in ME right now and hates it... Trust me just stick it out no matter how hard it gets... I'm living proof that a dumb kid from the middle of no where can make it and you'll be smiling the whole way to the bank soon...

O well I just figured I'd let yinz in on the news being most of you have seen me growin up since I was 13 on this site...:devil: Anyone in Orlando wanna ride soon let me know! haha

Pappy
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
screw you, hows your sister!:devil: :blah:

Nac's22
04-08-2008, 05:41 PM
how good of a math student are you? im a civil engineering major and im having a really hard time with math i cant get it to stick... any suggestions?

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

:grr: :blah: haha damn u!

Actually shes graduating this may and is gonna start teaching in the fall. Rumor is shes goin to Virgina to a school but may stay in PA!

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
how good of a math student are you? im a civil engineering major and im having a really hard time with math i cant get it to stick... any suggestions?

I'm not the BEST math kid ever but I'd say I'm somewhere towards the top. To be honest alot of it will never stick and you will forget 90% of it over the years. Honestly the only thing that worked for me was the brute force method of if I didn't understand it I just kept doing it and doing it until I got it!

Don't be afraid to go ask for help and just do your best.

Fred55
04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
I'm a dumb kid

well said tammy! lol

klutch
04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I live in Miami Florida... whenever i am planning a trip up north I can hit you up to go ride lol

Ralph
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey guys I was just checkin in... Figured I'd give everyone a lil update on what I've been up 2. I haven't been on nearly as much as I use to be in the last 8 years.

Nothing much has been goin on with except I'm finally getting to the end of college. Today I got my 1st job offer that I accepted working on Power Plant Turbines for Siemens Energy. Siemens is one of the top 5 largest companies in the world right now... I'll be based in Orlando Florida for the 1st year then travel the country to anywhere a power plant goes down. I couldn't pass up the paycheck they are gonna give me haha... there will def be alot of toys in my garage soon:devil: Pappy you better have that PC machine fired up I got 2 years of missed riding to make up! I start January 18th of next year and I graduate from Penn State this December with a degree in mechanical engineering. I just can't believe how fast its all gone by...

For anyone thats in ME right now and hates it... Trust me just stick it out no matter how hard it gets... I'm living proof that a dumb kid from the middle of no where can make it and you'll be smiling the whole way to the bank soon...

O well I just figured I'd let yinz in on the news being most of you have seen me growin up since I was 13 on this site...:devil: Anyone in Orlando wanna ride soon let me know! haha

Congrats on the job. Im only 2 years behind you. Im doing really well too right now. Got 90's in Thermo, Strength of Materials, and Dynamics. Only thing thats kicking my A is Math 251. Did you have Pinaki Das for 251?

quad2xtreme
04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Congrats Tommy!!! You will definitely love the money. I too came from small hick towns in PA (Smithfield, Kirby, Waynesburg, Marianna, Pt. Marion) and my first job was with Price Waterhouse in Baltimore. Tons has changed since then and the money only gets better.

My biggest advice...participate in your companies 401k plan to the max they will match...and never leave the money there if you change employers. Move it to etrade where you don't continue paying 401k plan fees (hidden from you in your statements). You can never make up for lost time so make sure you save while you are spending too. :D

Orlando is definitely a cool (hot?) place to live for a few years. My brother and mother live in Orlando/Kissimmee area so I visit often. I've never been riding there but always thought about towing the quads down there. Let me know what you find.

Good luck in your last semester.

JRP
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
:grr: :blah: haha damn u!

Actually shes graduating this may and is gonna start teaching in the fall. Rumor is shes goin to Virgina to a school but may stay in PA!

hmmm i live in VA:D :p

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Congrats on the job. Im only 2 years behind you. Im doing really well too right now. Got 90's in Thermo, Strength of Materials, and Dynamics. Only thing thats kicking my A is Math 251. Did you have Pinaki Das for 251?

kool deal ralph... Just wait until next year when your up at main campus and 21 haha... It gets alot better:devil:

Remind me to give you a list on what teachers to take and what teachers not to take... Also good electives to take that'll make it a little easier on ya.

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JRP
hmmm i live in VA:D :p

Take her I don't care... Just ask pappy shes nuts:ermm:

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Congrats Tommy!!! You will definitely love the money. I too came from small hick towns in PA (Smithfield, Kirby, Waynesburg, Marianna, Pt. Marion) and my first job was with Price Waterhouse in Baltimore. Tons has changed since then and the money only gets better.

My biggest advice...participate in your companies 401k plan to the max they will match...and never leave the money there if you change employers. Move it to etrade where you don't continue paying 401k plan fees (hidden from you in your statements). You can never make up for lost time so make sure you save while you are spending too. :D

Orlando is definitely a cool (hot?) place to live for a few years. My brother and mother live in Orlando/Kissimmee area so I visit often. I've never been riding there but always thought about towing the quads down there. Let me know what you find.

Good luck in your last semester.

Yeah I plan on participating in the 401K and then building a Roth IRA (i believe thats what its called)... Siemens will match what I put in up to 6% with a vest period of 5 years. I'm so confused about all this stuff but I'll learn it with time!

Also alot of the actual jobs pay and benefits confused me... They are giving me a base salary with overtime paid at 1.33% of the hourly rate after 8 hours. I am guranteed the salary but will also work 60 to 70 hours a week in the start. Also they pay alot of stuff like giving me 40$ a day just to eat food that is non taxable or something. I still have to look into the formal paper offer that should be arriving soon. There was so much info given to me over the phone it confused me! haha

I was just down orlando last thursday and friday for the interviews and I loved the place... Good looking girls... nice bars... awesome bikes and cars... I got off the plane and it was 84 degrees there and was 28 back home!!!!

Ralph
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
kool deal ralph... Just wait until next year when your up at main campus and 21 haha... It gets alot better:devil:

Remind me to give you a list on what teachers to take and what teachers not to take... Also good electives to take that'll make it a little easier on ya.

I sure will.

As of right now ME 370 and ME 320 are full and i cant fit ME345 due to time conflicts.

Still need to work on my schedule a bit. Also, they have not listed any proffesors names for alot of the classes.

Im taking Soc 5 as an elective which should be real easy

Tommy 17
04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
ahhh all the numbers changed!!!

Me370 - take MARSH!!! he is the coolest person i've ever met... he is hilarious to listen to and he gives take home tests... the class is vibrations...

Me320 which is i believe fluids... STAY AWAY FROM JAMES BRASSUER!!! hes an ******* and fails everyone... I barly passed... hes got the worst professor ratings I've ever seen...

Me345 is old me382 i believe which is statistics... the teacher is ok just differnt... its alot of work but most people end up with a B...

KXRida
04-09-2008, 08:18 PM

My brother just graduated from PSU with a degree in ME. I got a few offers, but nothing that he really liked and he's staying local with his fiancee and daughter. He was offered a job at amtrak in DC (he was rebuilding high speed rail trains), timken bearings, and a few other places, but he's doing pretty well around here. Making $20 something an hour and make his own hours. Plus OT is payed in cash!

smartypants
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

I"m with Stupid..... ^^^^^

Scro
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Congrats on finishing school. I've been out a year, and it seems I was just in class yesterday. Life defiantely goes by quicker once you are out.

So where are the pics of this sister that I've never heard of???:blah: