PDA

View Full Version : Wrapped my header!!! (pics)

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
i finally got around to wrapping my header. i LOVE the way it turned out. u can go ride for an hour and hardly feel any heat on your leg. it also looks 10X better than it did. heres a couple pics...

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
uno mas..

Ruby Soho
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
lookin good man

DementeD
04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
ive never been a fan of the look of heat wrapping..however my header looks like **** anyways so i might give this a shot..
plus the heat on the leg is ..annoying especially riding in shorts..

just curious where did u get the heat wrap at??

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
i got it at a local auto parts store. i made the mistake of buying the one inch stuff, and it was a pain in the *** to put on. get the two inch stuff. also it is WAY cheaper to get it on the internet. you can get a 50 foot roll of 2 inch for like 30-40 bucks i think. you can also get it in almost any color. i would have got black, but i diddn't relize it came in colors till i put this on. check out heatshieldproducts.com. and heres a hint... make sure you have a few extra hose clamps ready incase you have to take a break, because this stuff has to be REALLY tight on there or it just slides around, and if you take a break ALL that hard work goes to waste unless you can clamp it so it doesn't unwind.:macho

DementeD
04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
haha good hint..

id definitely do black..the lighter/white color just gets dirty and will continue to look dirty..
i think the black would be best..ill give it a shot..

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
yea i still might do black later on in the future, but as of now, this looks/works fine. o and also, it will steam quite a bit, and smell funny, when you ride with it for the first time.

DementeD
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
i went to jegs.com and found what i want..black graphite..
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayPopup?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=744845&itemId=72646&langId=-1&showValue=1

i think this will look good

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
yea i like that color. should look great.:macho

BamBam730
04-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Looks great. I have seen people do that to street bikes.

DementeD
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM
i just went ahead n ordered the black graphite..came to $55 ..they say free shipping on the site..but charge 9.99 handling charge wtf is that crap.....suppose to be 1-2 days..ill take pics when its complete

also purchasing the sparks timing key as well..
and i think thats it for now

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
sweet.:cool: keep me updated.:macho

UNBROKEN
04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
but will that heat wrap get all nasty when u go muddin if not i might have to get some

DementeD
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
^thats why i opted for the black graphite..i think it wont be as noticable..

im sure the stuff cleans though..we will just have to find out though

livin in florida it rains a lot so mudd quite a bit..just got done muddin yesterday and the day before :D

trx400EXtreme
04-09-2008, 07:15 AM
i just went riding with it at my friends place, and we were going through creeks, mud holes, everything. they had just gotten 2 inches of rain so it was muddy. these pics were taken after that ride, and it looks the same as before. the color i have might change a bit over time, but i'm pretty sure black would stay the same.

DementeD
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
good stuff..hopefully by friday mine will be in..not sure if im going to install it yet or not..im suppose to go riding this weekend and i dont know if i wanna be takin stuff apart before then..i might wait til i get back n get it all cleaned again then take the header off n wrap it along with installing the advanced timing key..which should be in next week

trx400EXtreme
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
it's actually possible to do it with out taking the header off. thats how i did it. but on the other hand, it would be ten times easier. it's like a puzzle trying to weave that stuff between the two pipes.

DementeD
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
yea i think it will be easier and ill take a pic of it finished with it off...

Ridiculous
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
looks good man, i've had mine done for a while now. i've had no problems. on thing is though, my buddy has it done to (i did it for him) and he got too close with the pressure washer made it all fuzzy lookin. just keep your distance with the pressureized water!

here's a pic of mine

zdowell
04-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Ive heard of people doing this to their headers, and since they had it wrapped it trapped moister on the header and caused it to rust out like crazy. Id make sure you clean and dry your header very well before doing it. I also think if you go to the auto parts store they sell a spray that stops that from happening. Just my .02 cents.

STUNTIN400EX
04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
looks good! but i have also heard that wrapping the header to close to the engine will cause the header to become very hot. but that totally is the opposite of what the wrap is suppose to do.

trx400EXtreme
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
from my experience, it works great. after riding for like 15 minutes, if you wait, maybe 3-5 minutes.... you can touch the header for a second or two before it starts to burn unlike before where if you barely touched it at all it would burn you.

DF400ex
04-11-2008, 02:55 AM
I wrapped mine before last riding season and absolutely love it. After reading about it holding moisture and your pipe rusting I decided to paint it first. I painted the whole exhaust with a few coats of flat black high temp paint that's made for grills. I then wrapped it in black 2 inch wrap and coated it with a bunch of coats of the wrap sealant. It made it look a lot better since some of the wraps coloring bleeds out when you wet it to make it pliable. I would definitely not get too close with the pressure washer cuz the sealant will come off. You definitely need to seal it because the rap will fray and look like crap if you do not, and it helps to keep moisture out. After a season of riding iit looks pretty much like it did before the first ride.

Here's a few pics.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/BearND171/header.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/BearND171/headerwhole.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/BearND171/rightside1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/BearND171/canandheaderconnection.jpg

imc188222
04-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by STUNTIN400EX
looks good! but i have also heard that wrapping the header to close to the engine will cause the header to become very hot. but that totally is the opposite of what the wrap is suppose to do.

The header temp with the wrap on it will be higher than a bare header. The purpose of the wrap is to hold the heat in the exhaust by insulating it from the air. Keeping the exhaust hot aids in cylinder scavenging by keeping the exhaust flowing fast. Obviously the header will feel cooler to the touch because you are touching the wrap not the metal.