PDA

View Full Version : Predator 500 or Honda 400 ex?

IndyBoy7
04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I am selling my dirtbike and am looking for a quad to buy. Price range between $2000-$3000. I am most interested by the 400 ex (because i am usually a honda person) but I've started taking interest to the Predator 500. I'm trying to get as many points of view as possible because I am having a really hard time deciding so I'd really appreciate everyones help. Thanks guys

p.s.
I need it to be basically a nice all-around quad. It's mostly trails at my local riding spot but they have a track and I want it to be able to hold its own there also.

Thanks again for everyones help

04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
i know i am going to anger a few of the polaris people, but you could not give me a polaris...AT ALL.

the 400ex may not be as fast, but it is more reliable, handles better and doesn't have the goofy sterilizer ridge up the middle of the seat...i think it is a vent for the airbox, but it is uncomfortable...

somewon
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I moved from a 400ex to my outlaw because I wanted a machine that had the features I wanted. I had been looking at a TLD predator prior to my purchase. I loved my 400ex (and still do love those machines). The diffrence is going to be what you are going to do with it.

THe 400ex is lighter and more "flickable" but has a definate disadvantage in the factory suspension and power compared with the pred. The pred is going to feel a lot more plush (esp the TLD) and have a lot more power.

I don't think you could make a bad choice between these two machines. I would recommend you see if you can take one or both for a test ride and see what you think.

you are probably going to have to do some work on anything you pick up for 2-3,000 (either when you buy it or after you put some time on it). Parts break from wear and crashing just as easy on both machines.

bossman525
04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i know i am going to anger a few of the polaris people, but you could not give me a polaris...AT ALL.

the 400ex may not be as fast, but it is more reliable, handles better and doesn't have the goofy sterilizer ridge up the middle of the seat...i think it is a vent for the airbox, but it is uncomfortable...
just another troll with nothing better to do but trash on something he doesn't know anything about. for the first post, it's all rider preference. both are great quads, but what somewon said goes for me too. good luck.

TRENT_G
04-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Go with the Honda.

04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by bossman525
just another troll with nothing better to do but trash on something he doesn't know anything about. for the first post, it's all rider preference. both are great quads, but what somewon said goes for me too. good luck.

a troll, not hardly. i have ridden a predator very extensively. it was well maintained and quite honestly, it handled like crap. it didn't track very well at all. as a matter of fact, it was hard to keep from drifting from side to side. it nose dived when ever i jumped it...never had i had a problem getting any other machine to fly level off of any of the jumps that i hit with it. and like i mentioned before, that air dam for the air box that runs underneath the seat made my tailbone and but cheeks hurt. to say the least, i could not wait to get back on my 450r, or even my wife's 400ex.

as far as reliability goes, every polaris i have ever ridden with has broken down at some point...it did not matter how well they were maintained, the owners would miss rides because the polaris was in the shop for something that should not have needed fixed...this predator was no exception.

i am glad you like yours, but i didn't come on here asking to be insulted. i came gicing my experiences. it just happens that when going through the new posts search, i found this topic before the one he posted in the 400ex. you polaris people seem to think that anyone that does not own a polaris should not be in your area, but guess what, it is a public forum and i can post my opinion anywhere i want...so i stand by what i said...and i will add to it...you could not PAY to own a polaris!

after the guy with the predator rode my 450r, he put a for sale sign on the predator. he liked how it handled so much better. he bought a 450r after he sold the predator, but has since sold that to build a show truck

Bradracer18
04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I rode with a 450r in the trails recently, with me on my predator....he couldn't keep up, plain and simple. So, don't think its all about the quad. Its about the rider! I'll send that invitation out to about anyone too...

The pred he rode was probably poorly set up in the suspension. Unlike the crappy out-date 400ex, the pred suspension is very adjustable....and like you can probably assume, if its not adjusted properly...then it will throw you off!

The pred will out-handle most quads...esp those inferior like the 400. It has a ton more torque(great for trails) and more power all together.

I won't say its more reliable though. Honda does usually have that one down(on the ex anyways). Some preds are great, and some break down a lot. Mine is an 03, and I just keep the oil changed and keep it greased up and stuff....and haven't ever had a single issue with it.

04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
i didn't say anything about suspension, i refered to how well it tracked...i couldn't keep it straight on flat land roads. it was a stock machine, he hadn't touched anything on it except for needing an engine rebuild...

yep, a bad rider on a 450r will not keep up to a predator, just alike a poor rider on a predator may have trouble hanging with a good rider on a 400ex...

i won't say where i would be on my 450r or my 400ex, but i don know that the pred. i rode was not real close to me or the other guy on the 450r. we had to wait on him quite a few times

Live to ride
04-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I have both quads, a 02 400ex which i had first and about a year ago i bought a 04 TLD, both quads have been great and very reliable. The 400 lacks in engine department even after i put a 416 kit on it, but it is a very fun quad to ride, wheeling is very easy and fun. The predator though for me is a much better all around quad, The trails is where it really shines, and i think its much better on the track too, but you defiantly need to try both because they both are very different machines. you cant go wrong with either choice, good luck

04predmike
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I have an 04 pred. I'm 6'2" 250lbs the ex is not big enough for me either in the motor or suspension. But I ride with a couple of guys who are like 5'8" and 160 lbs and thet wouldn't have anything but an ex. So you need to ride both and see what you are comfortable on.

somewon
04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Indyboy, What really needs to be asked is what are you going to do with it, and how hard did you ride your dirt bike?

Preddys&beer
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
+1 for Predator, 400 ex is nice for a smaller rider ie; teenager or beginner, but predator feels at home in all types of terrain.

birdman7389
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Preddys&beer
+1 for Predator, 400 ex is nice for a smaller rider ie; teenager or beginner, but predator feels at home in all types of terrain.

The Ex nuthugger in here is just silly. My (now wifes) 06 TLD gets rave reviews from everyone that rides it. Rookie or experienced, coming from Outlaw's, 400's, 450's and Raptors.

It has NEVER been at the back of the pack riding any trails, there is never "waiting for it to catch up".

It is not the best machine for everything, but as an all around have fun ATV, perfect. I have put it through a couple tough years with nothing but oil changes and lube. stock spark plug even.

The Predator fit me better at 6'2"/215 anyway. I was cramped on a previously owned Z400.

The 400ex is not a bad machine, you can have tons of fun on it. Given the choice though, you have to pick the pred.

cmpearce
11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
i have been riding my predator for 4 years now ,rode a honda for 13 years .i have had less problems with the predator .the hump in the seat was only on 2003 and 2004 models. it does get squirly wide open down the roads .but a steering stabilizer fixes that(did on mine). mine jumped nose down when i first got it , i adjusted the rebound screw slower (turn in )on the rear shock and it flies nice and level.a few guys i used to ride with that rode modified 400ex's ,yfz's and raptor's are alway's impressed with my predator( i have had less problems than any of them).either quad will be nice( get a 2005 predator or newer ,it has reverse) i am a former honda man.and i perfer the predator.if you do get a predator .there is alot of good info over on www.predatorowners.com. good luck

katch26
11-04-2008, 08:34 PM
i added adj upper aarms that allow camber adjustment to slow down the steering.....mines solid at full tilt, my ex does the shimmy as well (actually more so) probably being such a narrow width compared to the pred.

mbellaver
11-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I just made the switch from a 400ex to an 04 predator. I've always been a honda fan whether it be lawn mower engines to cars so the descision was difficult. I am very happy about my choice though. My only dislikes are the high price of OEM parts, and the weight. What I like is the the power and handling! It hillclimbes great and can handle jumps in stock form much better than a stock 400ex.