PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or warrior

racer36
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
what quad is more relible? I am looking for both quads and I think I will go with whatever i find a better deal on. which one is faster?

thanks for the help

Ogener
04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
kept in mostly stock form the warrior motor is very reliable. Aside from some bolts vibrating lose the quad as a whole is very reliable. and once you find the bolts that tend to vibrate lose you learn to check them or loctite them, its no big deal and only takes afew seconds. they can keep up with mostly anything in the trails, and does pretty well in the mud, Ive seen some warriors in water up in the seat area and they came out just fine. I dont know much about the 400 so i cant talk about it.

04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
the 400ex is a lot faster with more possibilty of modification and as, if not more reliable...and much easier to work on should operator error cause something to malfuntion/break

warriorman03
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
i have a 03 yamaha warrior that i will sell you. it has some mods and i wamt $2,650 for it. if you are interested in it let me know, and i will tell you all of the mods done to it.

racer36
04-09-2008, 07:30 AM
warriorman03 that is a nice quad but i think you are a little too far away unless you will ship, i live in michigan, nice quad

#17YFZRACER
04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
:chinese:

keglassg
04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I personally like the warrior, but when stock, the 400ex is faster. with enough money dumped into it, either one would be a super quick machine. i've got my warrior running good enough to beat a mostly stock 400 ex, but i cant beat the guys running the 440 big bore kits on them. i do like the plusher ride of the 400ex, but i like the handling better on the warrior.

coryatver
04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
it isn't even close the 400ex has almost double the horsepower. The warrior rides like a couch the 400ex rides like a sport quad

04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
well depends on whats done to them stock the warrior just needs the shocks adjusted and its just as good as the 400ex ive got only a dg pipe and an airfiler on mine and i smoke my buddies 400ex were side by side until we both hit fith and he's done but im not sayin i can beat any 450's or anything like that but i say the warrior is better in the long run both stockers the 400ex is better but just a few mods and no 400ex can touch it

04-21-2008, 05:28 PM
cowboy...the only thing that be smoking is you...there is no comparison between a 400ex and a warrior...the ex walks all over the warrior in every way...

case in point...about 3 years ago...i had my 200ex out with a new warrior/raptor 350...it was a month old and the guy had the same mods as i did performance wise...exhaust filter properly jetted...

i was leading the pack down one of the few atv legal roads and was just cruising in 2nd gear as we had some slower utes in the group. up comes the guy on the warrior at full run...i turned to see him coming up beside me...he was about 4 bike lengths behind me and he pointed ahead...a sign to take off and run...he had to have already been in at least 4th or 5th...he never pulled beside me and i when i hit top speed, he was still trying, but losing ground fast...

keglassg
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
well im gonna call bs on both you guys as the proud owner of both a 400ex and a warrior and say that both of you need to stop bashing the other quad and try to lay out some helpful information. they are both awesome machines. every opinion is bias here and instead of just putting down other people and their machine, just make your point and leave it at that. there is no need for malicious arguing here.

there are lots of 400's that will eat warriors, just as there are lots of warriors that will eat 400's, that not the dispute. it seems that you each have your own opinion about which one is better. fair enough. whos to say though? so i like the warrior better, so you like the 400 better. give the reason and leave it at that.

ah, and have a good day guys.

440exRider187
04-24-2008, 01:05 PM
tha warrior is a trail atv, and tha 400ex is more track w/ alot more mods to offfer and Ive owned both. But i like my 400ex a lot more than tha warrior. Tha warrior is bulky and harder 2 steer. And a lot of my friends ride warriors sum as old as 89 and they are still running fine. But a lot of them leak oil. It all has 2 do with where and how u ride.

05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
cowboy...the only thing that be smoking is you...there is no comparison between a 400ex and a warrior...the ex walks all over the warrior in every way...

case in point...about 3 years ago...i had my 200ex out with a new warrior/raptor 350...it was a month old and the guy had the same mods as i did performance wise...exhaust filter properly jetted...

i was leading the pack down one of the few atv legal roads and was just cruising in 2nd gear as we had some slower utes in the group. up comes the guy on the warrior at full run...i turned to see him coming up beside me...he was about 4 bike lengths behind me and he pointed ahead...a sign to take off and run...he had to have already been in at least 4th or 5th...he never pulled beside me and i when i hit top speed, he was still trying, but losing ground fast... yeah sppedy quad first of all there is no such thing as a 200ex second of all i havent found a 400 that could beat be third of all your lil warrior buddy prolly dosent have a 12-1 piston like i do and he prolly has a lotta hours on it ill post some videos just for you!:devil:

05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
1st off, the 200ex was a typo that that should have been 2000 ex...the 400 part is a given since that is the subject...and...
2ndly, your warrior is not on a stock motor...so you are comparing your "built" motor(apples) to a stock motor(oranges)...give the 400exs that you are tying the same motor work and see the outcome...lastly...read it again mervin, the warrior was a month old at the most...it was the 2nd or 3rd time out after it's break in...and you said it...lil warrior...

keglassg
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
you're still a retard, theres again, no such thing as a 2000 ex either and you still have no idea what you are talking about. its really irritating when little kids get on here and try to act like they know something and want to brag. if you want to do that, fine, but we'd all appreciate it if you'd just stick to helpful advice that is actually true instead of making up stories and pretending you have any idea what the hell you are talking about. most of us here actually own atv's and or know something about them, so dont BS us kid, we arent as dumb and you pretend to not be.

05-01-2008, 09:57 PM
let me explain further since the iq level is low...a 2000 400ex...since we ar e talking about 400exs, i figured i could leave it out...i guess we aren't that smart though...check my profile for my age too...
i bet i have had more macines than you and have been riding longer than you have been alive...i am not going to post pics, there are enough of my 2 bikes together floating around here...

coryatver
05-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't even compare a warror(or raptor 350) to a 400ex it is a 300ex class bike.

I have a 400ex and have spend a lot of time riding a warrior both pretty much stock. The warrior is a great quad. It has a real big fluffy seat and is good to cruise around on. When the speeds start getting up there is where it lacks in handling performance. It is more of a sit back cruising bike. I enjoyed riding it but when we took off on a race I was wishing I was on my 400ex it has a lot more power and works better for aggressive riding. The guy that owns the warrior I was driving also owns a 400ex and agrees with me. The warrior chassis is no match for the 400's for aggressive riding. Im not saying some people can't ride the wheels of them warriors and beat there buddies on 400s but if you have rode both I don't know how anyone could disagree.

keglassg
05-02-2008, 08:20 AM
i dont care how old you profile says you are, you act like a cocky teenager and it pisses me off, dont insult my iq either, you still dont know what you are talking about.

05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
yeah look at my myspace profile its says im 99 that sure explains a lot the 400ex is a piece of **** i love hondas he11 thats how i got my warrior i traded but the 400ex is smoked by all other 400's STOCK the warrior is no were near the 300ex class aparently youve never ridden one or the other and the 400ex has just recently got reverse? what is that do you even know why honda came out with the 400ex? specificly to compete with the warrior ! o ur name is gay quad means 4 not atv not 4 wheeler just 4 and your gonna talk about people being "not that smart" so before you and your dumb northern go say what u "THINK" is beter key word THINK learn to shut up when u dont know what your talkin bout.

hypersnyper6947
09-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Here is an honest opinion, I have had both, i like my 400ex much better than my warrior. The warrior was a pretty good quad but its not as fast, and does not handle as well. I feel like my 400ex is more reliable. Everyone will buy a stock bike and then start to add mods to it. The 400ex has a lot more aftermarket support. It also is way better looking. I have to say i feel more proud to be on my 400ex than to be on my warrior, and i feel my warrior was one of the best looking warriors ive seen. I also feel like the 400ex is easier to work on. Dont get me wrong i did like my warrior. You could prob find a better deal on a warrior as far as price goes. I would go with the 400ex since i have owned both that is an honest opinion.

Darebee
09-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I am sitting beside both machines right now.
They both have about the same top speed but the EX gets there way faster.
It has much more throttle response but the Warrior seems more torqie.
I much prefer the riding position on the Warrior. I feel all hunched up and the handlebars are too low on the EX.
It takes less effort to drive the warrior on tight bush trails, it seems to have more weight over the front (takes a lot less english to corner).
On a flat track the EX hands-down, with a little speed and room to play the gears it slides out beautifully and is easy to run fast.
The are about the same weight but the EX feels way lighter.
My preference is the EX.

Just my thoughts (from a tall rider).

hypersnyper6947
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
if size is an issue im 6'2" 185 lbs

07350R
10-01-2008, 06:33 AM
I have had both and I would say that I like the smaller nimble feeling of my 350, this is my second one, and with a jet kit, pipe and 14 tooth front sprocket the 350 is a rocket! Super reliable, Plus being only a 2 valve, valve adjustments are a snap! I just ordered over 1500 bucks worth of stuff for mine, will be here tomorrow, wheels, tires, intake, exhaust, and G-Force wheel spacers, I cant wait to rejet it and pipe it, gonna be a super fun ride. Also I have alot more confidence in Yamaha.

PapaJoe
10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I also have had both in stock configurations. The Honda would eat the stock Warrior up and spit it back out. I like the looks of the 400ex I had better than the Warrior too (99 400ex & 92 Warrior) but that really only makes a difference when it's on the trailer or in the garage. If you are buying a used bike you'll find Warriors are less expensive and more plentiful. Same with parts. The Warrior also has reverse as an older 400ex doesn't. I'm not sure when Honda added reverse but they did on later models (05 I think).

That being said, I no longer have the Honda and have a new to me Warrior. The Warrior I now have has a few mods (White Bros. exhaust, K&N & jetting + cosmetic stuff) and will perform to my liking where and how I ride. I can have just as much fun on a Warrior as on a Honda for less cost. That's just me.

keglassg
10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
just to kind of follow up on this. after riding and racing both machines quite a bit this summer, i still prefer the warrior on track. i dont disagree with the "stock for stock" statements made that the 400ex will beat the warrior hands down, its a common known fact. also, its quite true that the aftermarket undustries promote the 400 more, but its not impossible in my opinion to make the warrior every bit as good. its probably not in the best interest of a guys wallet, but possible. i raced a couple small series around southwest iowa and north west missouri this summer and i ran my warrior in the sub-400 class and also in the 400's and performed very well in both with it. but there again keep in mind my warrior is heavily modified to do so. the warrior is meant to compete with something similar to a 300ex and does so quite well. my 400ex has a 440 kit and a pipe and thats all there is to speak of, and the only way it outperforms my warrior is on the trails, and thats becasue i still have it at stock height, and the warrior is slammed. but again, both are awesome machines, both are dependable, and ill never give up on the old warrior, and the 400 i think has proved itself to also be a great machine, little light in the front end though for hill climbing, fun none the less.

keglassg
10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
oh and if anyone wants to see pics of my warrior or wants to help to make theirs run like a 400, just holler, im more than happy to help.

10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't want to start an argument, or make people mad, but there is honestly not a comparison between the 400ex and warrior.

My dad had a warrior so I had some seat time on it.

Power- The 400ex dominates this category. While the warrior motors are stupendously reliable, they aren't as fast. That little 2-valve engine doesn't compare as far as speed goes.. but will outlast a tank and come back after a beating for more.

Suspension- Once again, to the 400ex. No matter how you look at it, the warrior is 80's technology ergo's and suspension. The front rides like a rock, and it is very heavy. It feels too much of a slow-paced trail bike, compared to the 400ex which shares a similar chassis to the legendary 250r.

The warrior is an awesome bike for the rider on a budget, and for someone who isn't mechanically inclined. But if you are a truely experienced rider, then you would appreciate the 400ex much more.

keglassg
10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
dude, do not generaize people as not being mechanically inclined or any other way just becasue they prefer one machine over the other, thats arrogant and makes you sound like an jerk. i have been riding and wrenching for years and have great respect for both machines and just so happen to prefer the warrior. so stick to the important issues here, you prefer the ex over the warrior and give reasons for it, great, but dont generilze those who disagree with you as idiots becasue we have our reasons for our preferences as well.

10-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by keglassg
dude, do not generaize people as not being mechanically inclined or any other way just becasue they prefer one machine over the other, thats arrogant and makes you sound like an jerk. i have been riding and wrenching for years and have great respect for both machines and just so happen to prefer the warrior. so stick to the important issues here, you prefer the ex over the warrior and give reasons for it, great, but dont generilze those who disagree with you as idiots becasue we have our reasons for our preferences as well.

Jumpy much?

I never once said that warrior/raptor owners are idiots, and aren't mechanically inclined. I was merely suggesting that the average guy who doesn't know much about engines and such would probably be better off with the warrior because the engines were bullet-proof and would probably run forever on the same oil.

keglassg
10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
i am a little jumpy lol. im not trying to insult you at, its just the way you stated it sounded a little offensive i guess. no worries though dude.

hypersnyper6947
11-02-2008, 01:08 AM
No offense but i have owned both and the warrior is much more timid than the 400ex. I did love my warrior but the 400ex is a much more mechanically inclined machine. i also had a fair share of problems with the warrior, even though i have had some recent bad luck with the 400 i think it is more reliable as well.

11-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
No offense but i have owned both and the warrior is much more timid than the 400ex. I did love my warrior but the 400ex is a much more mechanically inclined machine. i also had a fair share of problems with the warrior, even though i have had some recent bad luck with the 400 i think it is more reliable as well.

I agree with what you said.. except for the reliability issue.

You may have gotten a lemon, but those warriors and indestructible. They take a lickin and keep on tickin.
My dad bought one brand new in 88 when he was first getting into this stuff. He beat the living crap out of that thing, and probably put a ton of hours on it with no problems.

And did you ever notice those warriors for sale everywhere that are pre-1995 and beat up, still on the stock bore running strong? lol

11-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I agree with what you said.. except for the reliability issue.

You may have gotten a lemon, but those warriors and indestructible. They take a lickin and keep on tickin.
My dad bought one brand new in 88 when he was first getting into this stuff. He beat the living crap out of that thing, and probably put a ton of hours on it with no problems.

And did you ever notice those warriors for sale everywhere that are pre-1995 and beat up, still on the stock bore running strong? lol

yeah my 98 was extremely beat on the guy i bought it from never changed the oil so it needded new rings , well i sunk about 4 times pulled a trailer with it , dragged the hell out of it with my dads grizzly , there is nothing i didnt do with it,and after i sold it the next guy rode the helll oout of it 2 but nothing broke,execept a couple chains

keglassg
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
i lost a clutch and a stator in mine, but thats really all the problems i've had with it. my 400 has had minimal problems too, but it has a few more small things like electrical issues and a carb problem.

Kevslatvin
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I had a Warrior for 2 years before I got my 400ex in March. I prefer my 400ex but it isn't stock. My Warrior was. My brother-in-law used to have a stock 400 and it was faster than my Warrior but not by much. In the woods the Warrior is great. I think the 400 may be better but I haven't rode mine in the woods much as I ride mostly MX now. For motocross I wouldn't even waste my time with a Warrior. Of course for mx a 450 is best but that wasn't the question, and with some suspension tuning the 400ex works fine at the track. There is better aftermarket support for the 400ex with stuff available. They feel completely different and the 400 felt a little wierd at first but now I like it much better. As mentioned the front end on the 400ex feels better to me. The 400ex has a reputatioin for being reliable and maintenence isn't any harder than the Warrior. Just two more valves to adjust. The plastics may actually be easier to remove on the Honda and the chain adjustment is much better.Personally I would go with the 400ex.

keglassg
11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
you speak the truth my friend.